New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hi Guys,

I need your thoughts on my engine swap project. Ever since i got my 7g galant vr, i've always thought of replacing the existing engine with a MIVEC due to the additional power and fuel economy.

So the following info should be very helpful for me:

1) estimated cost of the engine plus labor
    2) fuel efficiency of the 6a12 mivec
    3) complications that may arise

Hope to hear from you guys soon. thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Compications are minimal. But I don't think you should count on extraordinary fuel efficiency from the 6A12... unless you're also converting from automatic to manual at the same time.

It's a nice engine, with good top-end, but getting it in automatic defeats the purpose... with an AT, the 6A12 MIVEC doesn't feel any peppier than a regular 2 liter engine except once you're way into 3rd gear.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Compications are minimal. But I don't think you should count on extraordinary fuel efficiency from the 6A12... unless you're also converting from automatic to manual at the same time.

It's a nice engine, with good top-end, but getting it in automatic defeats the purpose... with an AT, the 6A12 MIVEC doesn't feel any peppier than a regular 2 liter engine except once you're way into 3rd gear.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    hi sir niky, thanks for the reply. my ride has MT by the way. so i guess there should be noticeable "tipid" in fuel consumption when converted to the MT mivec .

is it true that it has lesser low end torque compared to the ordinary 6a12 engine? is it because of the mivec engaging in higher revs?

would you personally recommend the conversion?

thanks again sir!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd go for a 4G63T swap, personally... but that drinks gas like crazy.

I don't think you'll see any major savings in fuel, actually... if that were the point, a piggyback or an SAFC would do you better... but it should feel much peppier at high rpms.

Having never driven the regular 6A12 back-to-back with the MIVEC, I don't know how big the difference in low-end is.

6a12 to 6a12 MIVEC Swap on 7G Galant