New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    guys, i'm thinking of replacing the engine of my vanette (if possible). gusto ko kase yung matipid sa fuel ang more power. i'm thinking of replacing it with a diesel engine although i dont have any idea about replacing engines

tanong ko lang po, what engines are good candidates as replacement? what are the pros and cons when you have your engine replaced? anu pang mga parts ang kelangan palitan din pag nagpalit ka ng engine? and mga magkano kaya estimate cost ng parts ang labor?

hope i could get feedback from you guys, talagang wala kong kaalam-alam sa ganyang bagay kase. alam ko lang is, mahal ko yung van ko, pero mahal na din ang gas

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    pros? More power and or/lower fuel consumption... depends on the engine.

cons? packaging headaches, wiring issues, fuel system modifications, reliability issues, parts availability issues, etcetera... as well as the roll of the dice on whether you're getting a "fit" surplus engine or not.

While turbo diesel engines are available for the Vanette, I don't know how much the swap will cost you, and how extensive modifications should be to fit the engine. Your plumbing will have to be modified, for one. I don't know if the Vanette uses the in-tank fuel pick-up or the engine-bay one... if it's in-tank, you might have to get a new tank, also. I'm thinking 50-60k for the swap (if you can find the engine... prices tend to be high if they're turbo) plus 10-20k for contingencies.

Turbodiesel should give you 2-3 km/l more than the gas version. You'll have to calculate for yourself (based on your current driving habits... how many kilometers per month/year) whether it'll save you any money or not in the long run.

If you want power... well, I think an SR20 will fit...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    thanks for the reply

medyo malaki nga pala talaga gagastusin, pero im still interested. may nakapagsabi sakin na meron daw sya nakitang binibentang Vanette na Nissan Frontier yung engine. Yung SR20 po, engine ng anung sasakyan yun?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hehe... di ako seryoso sa SR20. 2.0 Gas siya na EFI, so it should use less gas in traffic, but about the same on the highway. Longitudinal mount na SR20s galing 200SX or Silvia. It can be done (I've seen it swapped into old cars and owner types) but only by a good swap mechanic and electrician.

Maraming binebenta dito, pero galing Altima, so transverse mount (sideways) at di puwede sa Vanette. Don't know how common the longitudinal mount is.

If you want to save a little bit of gas, it will. It'll also make your van pretty quick. :lol:

Again, as in any swap, reliability and swap issues may outweigh the benefits.

If you want a reliable engine, it's really best to get a Japanese Vanette engine, so it'll be a sure fit, but it's never hassle free.
    Last edited by niky; March 14th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just sell your van and get something which is a better fit for your requirements. Converted vehicles usually drop in resale value like a rock. dami pang issues both for the conversion and regular maintenance.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    agree ako kay pajerokid. it's not worth it to convert your van.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you want to convert it I would recommend the nissan classic pick-up engine...its a diesel na 2.2L ang displacement. Hard to find na ito lately kasi matagal na ang engine na ito pero it is small enough to fit the space.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nagpalit dati yun cousin ko ng turbo diesel sa vanette. try to contact him 02-3603268 - Ferdie.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    daming kelangan if you change from gas to diesel. Also, baka mangamoy diesel ka since your engine bay is directly under you. Also, tama yung comment ng isa. Bagsak lalo resale value ng van mo if you have it cionverted. I have a 98 exceed 2.0 gas. What I do is I commute kung ang pupuntahan ko e isang sakay lang ng jeep or MRT. That way hindi masyadong malaki budget ko sa gas. I only use my van kung 4 or more ang sasakay. kung ako lang mag-isa, most of the time PUj ako.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    it seems walang nakasagot sa tanong mo bro.
    sr20 or turbo version sr20det may be a signature engine
    for racing sentras and altimas.
    ung nissan van na serena QRV (locally available sa pinas) has already this engine.

havent seen yet na converted na vanette with such.
    if ever successful yung transplant(hehe), you have one hellavafast van.

meron ako existing na vanette, with LD20 turbo engine
    and it even has no intercooler. diesel engine un ng imported na vanette.

money may not be the matter.

etong mga important info

cons:
    1) u have to find gauges na pang diesel din
    di gumagana ang speedometer, odometer, tachometer
    kase di naman accurate ung stock na gauges when it comes to metering the diesel engine. (compatible naman ung sa fuel and temperature)

2)ung mechanical fan ng diesel di kasya sa engine bay ng local vanette
    so dagdagan mo ung power ng auxiliary fan mo na electrical. either
    1 na pang MB100 or two medium sized fans.

otherwise naka rekta ung fan mo sa isang toggle switch.
    dahil di na accurate ung automatic heat sensor.
    panlaban ito sa overheating

3)transmision oil is prone to leak.

4)MAINGAY ang makina. thucktchuckthuckthuckthuck

5)emissionwise, pare diesel na yan!

6)u have to secure a good performing alternator, para maiwasan na magmukhang pang motorsiklo mga ilaw ng vanette mo na habang bumababa rev mo, humihina din candlepower nila

7)mas mahal engine parts na pang diesel keysa gas.

8) hard start.compared sa gas.nakakahiya pag tumirik ka sa uphill or meron mga auto sa likuran mo. haha

etong naman mga compensation mo.(meron naman syempre)

PROS:

1)LAKAS HATAK!
    2)LAKAS hatak, ulit
    3)Lakas hatak MAS TIPID FUEL consumption. i own a sentra 1.6gas driving about 10kms everyday noong year 2000 and consumes 100 pesos. considering tig P21/liter pa lang ang unleaded noon. Now 2006 considering P36/liter ang diesel and i now travel averaging 30kms everyday, and i still utilize only P100 travel with the vanette. PLUS vanette yan. larger seating capacity than my sentra.
    4)LESSER FUEL price than gasoline. Diesel is LESS P4/liter than unleaded and a whopping P6/liter sa blaze, velocity and other premium gasoline.
    5)waterproof, baha proof
    6)lesser maintenance. Walang spark plug replacement every 3months, kakayanin ang Engine oil for 1 year.wag lang papabayaan engine cooling mechanism. so thats, tubig, tubig, coolant, coolant.
    7)MAS TIPID FUEL consumption. ang kulit!
    8)once u cured the overheating, (which is also prone to gasoline engines) tipid na all the way

there. the experience of LD20T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
anung engine pwede ipalit sa Z20 ng vanette?