The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    kala ko it's about some *** pill

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not really so big, in terms of news. GM has shown how effective ethanol blends are in turbocharged cars by having a Saab concept that gets more power out of ethanol blends.

But having ethanol as a separate ingredient? The benefits might not be big enough to adopt this system over a regular system that runs different states of tune for higher ethanol blends.

Still, very intriguing. 2 liters and 500 streetable horsepower with no detonation? Count me in...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Not really so big, in terms of news. GM has shown how effective ethanol blends are in turbocharged cars by having a Saab concept that gets more power out of ethanol blends.

But having ethanol as a separate ingredient? The benefits might not be big enough to adopt this system over a regular system that runs different states of tune for higher ethanol blends.

Still, very intriguing. 2 liters and 500 streetable horsepower with no detonation? Count me in...
    Quite intriguing...

I don't know as to how far different this is to the Saab Biopower Concept vehicles. Not sure.

After releasing Biopower variants for the 9-3 and 9-5 (supporting up to E85), they (Saab) have released the Biopower 100 concept model during the 2007 Geneva Motor Show that is capable of full E100 (100% Ethanol blend).

300hp and 400nm of torque is two times faster than the 2.0 liter standard variant of the same model.
    What's more, this fully "flex-fuel" vehicle is fully compatible with regular gasoline/petrol and ethanol (up to 100% blend).

http://www.saab.com/media/2007/quick...aabconcept.mp4

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...ow/1070103.001

Plus, it can be equipped with a hybrid system where an electric motor will act as a second powerplant. It can be used for idling to low speeds while the main powerplant is deactivated (ala Prius), then the battery can assist the main engine during medium speeds. Regenerative braking, downhill recharging and other energy-saving techniques apply.

In fact, it is highly likely that Biopower 100 unit would be equipped with the hybrid system after all (main powerplant + electric motor).

I can see the Brazilians smiling immensly about this

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    ^^^ Biofuel or not, I'd rather be without those "trees" at the far end of the boost gauge! Do away with that stupid "BIOETHANOL 100%" display, nobody cares, replace it with "POWER".

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    powtik akala ko tungkol sa khaos, corny naman :bwahaha

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bwahaha... trees on the boost gauge? Pwsssssh.... faster! Save more trees by using more power! Pwsssssssssh!

That's probably a suitable way to make ethanol palatable... by having a large line of turbocharged engines that perform better on progressive blends. It would certainly make motorheads like us think more kindly about it...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Bwahaha... trees on the boost gauge? Pwsssssh.... faster! Save more trees by using more power! Pwsssssssssh!

That's probably a suitable way to make ethanol palatable... by having a large line of turbocharged engines that perform better on progressive blends. It would certainly make motorheads like us think more kindly about it...
    Hehe...

But I agree. What Saab is doing is INDEED the right step to encourage/promote the use of bioethanol (especially at its full 100% blend) via its "flex-fuel" vehicles by exhibiting better performance & fuel-efficiency as you load up with more ethanol. In short, the higher the ethanol content, the better.

Also, Saab mentioned that they can also outfit this with their own "hybrid" system. So they would be the first automaker and the first in the world to mix the ff: Bioethanol flex-fuel + electric motor = THE SPEED AND FUEL EFFICIENCY OF GREEN

Brilliant

3x more power and 25% more efficient