New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    2012 CAMRY. Weird vibration of car when shift to "D" and at full stop.

I bought a 2012 Toyota Camry last May, 2012.
    Then had an accident while we were convoying with friends to Tagaytay.

So to make the long story short, my friend suddenly stopped in front of me because their was this girl who suddenly crossed the street.
    Then I crashed into his Innova.

I brought my car to Toyota Otis to get it fixed. Everything was replaced. But after I got it back, I realized that whenever I'm on "D" and had to (full)stop while still on "D" because of traffic, the car starts to vibrate, an unusual kind of vibration. But when I put it on "N" the vibrations is reduced. I know it's normal for some cars, but I tried it on my uncle's 2007-08 camry, it does not vibrate as hard as my camry.

Toyota Otis has been trying to find out what might be causing this weird vibration. If any of you have experienced this please help me

Here are some pictures for you to see. the overall damaged is about 230K-250K.
    They told me hindi naman daw natamaan at nadamage ang makina.
    As you can see naging magulo talaga yung mga parts.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    What kind of vibration ? The whole car vibrates ? Any noise when vibrating ?

I'm assuming the vibration started occur or became noticeable after the car came back from repairs ?

As a side comment, in the USA, with this kind of collision damage, the insurance usually writes it off already instead of repair. These kind of collision will carry a salvage title after the write off.
    Last edited by number001; November 18th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just my wild guess, one or more of the engine sensors are not functioning properly. It could be the sensor's wire was damaged or was not re-attached when the repairs were done.

If the casa "checked" the car's electronics, they might be referring to using the ODB reader to check if there is any fault reports from the ODB computer. If there is no faults, then someone might need to check the sensors one by one manually, including the lead wires to check for cuts and damage.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    What kind of vibration ? The whole car vibrates ? Any noise when vibrating ?

I'm assuming the vibration started occur or became noticeable after the car came back from repairs ?

As a side comment, in the USA, with this kind of collision damage, the insurance usually writes it off already instead of repair. These kind of collision will carry a salvage title after the write off.
    the car vibrates, you can feel it in the chair, floor, and arm rest, and steering wheel. vibrations you get when you drive an automatic transmission using diesel engine. but not that much vibration compared to diesel engines, just a little less compared to it.
    yes, the vibration started noticeable after the car came back from repairs.

"As a side comment, in the USA, with this kind of collision damage, the insurance usually writes it off already instead of repair. These kind of collision will carry a salvage title after the write off." <--What does this mean?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Just my wild guess, one or more of the engine sensors are not functioning properly. It could be the sensor's wire was damaged or was not re-attached when the repairs were done.

If the casa "checked" the car's electronics, they might be referring to using the ODB reader to check if there is any fault reports from the ODB computer. If there is no faults, then someone might need to check the sensors one by one manually, including the lead wires to check for cuts and damage.
    what sensors? they told me they cant see any problem with the engine daw.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emer2x View Post

"As a side comment, in the USA, with this kind of collision damage, the insurance usually writes it off already instead of repair. These kind of collision will carry a salvage title after the write off." <--What does this mean?
    What I meant is that if this kind of collision were to occurr in the US, insurance can write off the car and both parties can come to amicable terms. Unlike here in the Philippines, the only solution is to repair (even if its heavily damaged). Since modern cars are now designed with crumple zones, I think repairing these areas may make it look new again but the strength and function of these crumple areas may have been compromised (in the collision).

============

Its actually easy for the technicians to say they can't find anything wrong (usual excuse). You can ask them to check the engine support since air cleaner, air intake and radiator all pushed into the exhaust which is connected to the engine. You can also have them check the transmission (where it mates to the engine). You can also have them check the brakes. Anyway, these are part of the process of elimination.

Does the vibration occur everytime you stop the car ? How about if you try to briefly brake to slow down (lets say somebody cut into your lane)?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what sensors? they told me they cant see any problem with the engine daw.
    typical excuse. either they are too dependent on their gadgets or just too lazy to diagnose a hidden problem.

sensors include engine knock, temperature, oil, etc.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 18th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    What I meant is that if this kind of collision were to occurr in the US, insurance can write off the car and both parties can come to amicable terms. Unlike here in the Philippines, the only solution is to repair (even if its heavily damaged). Since modern cars are now designed with crumple zones, I think repairing these areas may make it look new again but the strength and function of these crumple areas may have been compromised (in the collision).

============

Its actually easy for the technicians to say they can't find anything wrong (usual excuse). You can ask them to check the engine support since air cleaner, air intake and radiator all pushed into the exhaust which is connected to the engine. You can also have them check the transmission (where it mates to the engine). You can also have them check the brakes. Anyway, these are part of the process of elimination.

Does the vibration occur everytime you stop the car ? How about if you try to briefly brake to slow down (lets say somebody cut into your lane)?
    the vibration occur when I'm on "D" or "R" and my feet is at the breaks(full stop).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    the vibration occur when I'm on "D" or "R" and my feet is at the breaks(full stop).

Yeah.... tama si sir GH maybe sa sensor. Kung engine problem yan kahit naka neutral vibrate pa rin dapat. Pa thorough scan mo na lang sa Toyota Otis.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Could also be they did not align or return a damaged part properly so there's something touching something else that causes the vibration. Try to put the car on a lifter and check all the alignments to the repaired parts and even get a second opinion from another Toyota shop. Shove their asses into your Camry and another, similar unit so you can show the difference.

Our ol reliable LC80 was damaged in an accident before and the repairs the Toyota CASA (Shaw Blvd.) did was just plain shoddy (with parts missing) so i never fully trust CASA repair works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast