New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    this thread is in relation to my inquiry previously:
    http://tsikot.com/forums/toyota-cars...moy-gas-96714/

i need your help to determine the problem on my fuel consumption. Here are the things done to the tsikot:

1. top overhaul done. no alog on the pistons
    2. carburetor overhaul done. had it fixed at A&M Kamuning c/o junior
    3. Radiator overhaul done.
    4. exhaust manifold gaskets replaced, no more singaw
    5. timing done

at near empty, i gas up for P500. XCS Gold. 9.56 liters entered the tank. i reset the trip odomoter to 0.
    after 56 kilometers, i am now on an almost steady warning light indicating that i am now low on fuel.

what i've noticed is, when the a/c's thermostat runs, the engine kind of decreases power.
    when i turn off the a/c, the idle would sometimes go way up to 2k rpm, then would go down to way low 600 rpm.
    when i turn on the a/c, the idle goes 900 rpm to 1100 rpm.
    at first gear, there will be times that the engine kind of lacks power and vibrates badly.
    also, at edsa doing 60kms per hour, i would sometimes feel the tsikot is suddenly going fast. probably because of the intermittent idle up and down. This happens even when the a/c is on or off.

im thinking it can be a bad a/c compressor or bearings. i would like to seek your expertise on how i can resolve this issue. TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have your A/C compressor checked if it's dragging and adding excess load to the engine.

On getting the FC, the only consistent way to determine whether your car is running efficiently or not is to do the full tank method.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Have your A/C compressor checked if it's dragging and adding excess load to the engine.

On getting the FC, the only consistent way to determine whether your car is running efficiently or not is to do the full tank method.
    thank you sir vinj! though the car is more than 21 yrs old now, would you be able to recommend a surplus shop were i can purchase a compressor if ever it is indeed the culprit?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Palitan mo na ang "Idle Up Solenoid" or mas kilala sya sa auto supply as "idle up na pang aircon"... Nakakabit ito sa may vacuum hoses mo. Baka lang kasi hindi pa yan napapalitan tapos pa adjust ka ng pa adjust ng AF mixture yan pala yung nagloloko.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Idle up lang yan.. baka hindi na gumagana.. balik nyo kay junior sabihin mo ayusin ung idle up..

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tsikot Forums Mobile App mobile app
    Beep Beep! School Bus! Beep Beep! School Bus!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    I just forgot to mention earlier that the idle up solenoid goes below 500 pesos for your car...

HTH

7. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    it turned out that the hoses on the actuator were reversed. when the hoses were corrected, the idle went normal.

still, i feel the engine is having a hard time when the ac is on. fuel consumption is still bad, although im beginning to think that the fuel gauge is somewhat defective. imagine gassing up 10 liters of fuel, then go on a trip from balintawak to roxas blvd. and back and im on near empty again.

im going to use a stick to determine the fuel inside the tank to see if it is indeed on near empty. if not, i may need to find new gauges

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    it turned out, i had a faulty distributor cap as it was not aligned already. i had the cap replaced and the igniter replaced as well.

it also turned out, i had two bad tension wires, so that was replaced and new sparkplugs as well.

i gased up last jan.1 with exactly 10 liters of gas when my fuel gauge went on a steady warning light. 99.6 kms. later, my fuel gauge is just starting to blink

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarathos View Post
    it turned out, i had a faulty distributor cap as it was not aligned already. i had the cap replaced and the igniter replaced as well.

it also turned out, i had two bad tension wires, so that was replaced and new sparkplugs as well.

i gased up last jan.1 with exactly 10 liters of gas when my fuel gauge went on a steady warning light. 99.6 kms. later, my fuel gauge is just starting to blink
    don't we just love an older electromechanical car engine...
    it's these types of problems we used to wrack our brains over..
    and for a 21 year old car, you've got great fuel efficiency there!
    Last edited by dr. d; January 4th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    i was surprised as well to be honest! and thankful at kahit paano sulit na ang fuel consumption.

i gased up na kanina at 110kms sa trip meter. nag-steady na kasi ang warning light sa fuel gauge.

i was also informed that the fuel tank of a small body corolla is at 50 liters. when the warning light goes on steady, it means i only have 10-12liters of fuel left. kaya pala every full tank ko takes only 37 to 39 liters paapaw na