New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What are the major modifications needed when swapping the XL/XE's 12-valve 1.3 liter engine with a 1.6 liter 4A-FE engine?
    Whats the going price(price range) for a 4A-GE 20-valve engine and 4A-FE engine? (including M/T)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm not sure on the FE, but I'm pretty sure you can get a GE set for under 50k, all in. Maybe waaaaay under 50k, 40k or lower, if you ask the right people. The Blacktop is quite a bit more expensive than the regular 20V, though... don't know if the quoted 5hp difference is really worth it.

I'm not familiar with the swap, so I don't know if the XL's fuel pump needs to be changed in order for this to work. Definitely, you'll need the engine, transmission, driveaxles, front hubs, wiring and engine mounts. That should all come as part of the package.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A simpler and cheaper option is to go for a 4AG swap. Less wiring headache since there is no ECU/EFI wiring to worry about.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    blacktop!!!

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    What are the major modifications needed when swapping the XL/XE's 12-valve 1.3 liter engine with a 1.6 liter 4A-FE engine?
    Whats the going price(price range) for a 4A-GE 20-valve engine and 4A-FE engine? (including M/T)
    converting from 1.3 to 1.6 4AFE. As far as i know you would need to fabricate the engine mount on the left side (right from the drivers point of view). can be easily done.

you would need an efi fuel pump or better yet an efi tank. some shops can fabricate a fuel pump for you, may downside lang compare to getting an efi tank.

then its better to get the whole engine assembly, alternator, compressor, wiring harness including transmission.

as far as the price of 4age 20 valve engine. here's what i recall:

4afe - 16k to 22k
    silvertop - 18k to 25k
    blacktop - 30k to 45k

the above price does not include, installation and wiring.

wiring is the most critical, so you better get a good shop to do it.

if you are going for 4age, you would need to consider additional cost of headers and exhaust upgrade, upgrade to 4 wheel disc break, your fuel line may also need upgrade to bigger diameter (some people i know had done it)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you're going to do exhaust, add maybe about 15k to the job for a decent exhaust with a secondhand muffler.

Seryoso ka ba dito, bro? Pics naman, hehehe...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you're going to do exhaust, add maybe about 15k to the job for a decent exhaust with a secondhand muffler.

Seryoso ka ba dito, bro? Pics naman, hehehe...
    Its not yet final... we're still checking out the possible options...

PS: Whats the estimated price of an EFI Corolla Fuel tank?
    Last edited by AG4; December 7th, 2007 at 08:50 AM.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Its not yet final... we're still checking out the possible options...

PS: Whats the estimated price of an EFI Corolla Fuel tank?
    surplus, about P3,500

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Will definitely want to see it when you get it done... hahaha... kinagat ka na rin pala ng bug...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    kinagat ka na rin pala ng bug...

Whats the average cost for having the engine swapped? (remove the old one and install the new assembly) ...from a recommended shop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
1.6 engine upgrade for mid 90's Corolla 1.3