New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Are there ways to check the condition of the starter?
    My car is already 10 years old. I got it second hand (nth hand siguro) so I do not know if the starter has been repaired or replaced already.
    So far I have not experienced any problem starting the car but I just want to be sure since you cannot start an automatic car by any other means if the starter gives up. I was told that the starter just simply gives up without warning. Parang heart attack daw sabi nung mechanic ko dati.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GBStJames View Post
    Are there ways to check the condition of the starter?
    My car is already 10 years old. I got it second hand (nth hand siguro) so I do not know if the starter has been repaired or replaced already.
    So far I have not experienced any problem starting the car but I just want to be sure since you cannot start an automatic car by any other means if the starter gives up. I was told that the starter just simply gives up without warning. Parang heart attack daw sabi nung mechanic ko dati.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    You probably need to pull out the starter from the engine and the mechanic will check out the starter motor for signs if stuff needs replacing like the carbon brushes or the solenoid motor needs servicing or replacing soon.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    You probably need to pull out the starter from the engine and the mechanic will check out the starter motor for signs if stuff needs replacing like the carbon brushes or the solenoid motor needs servicing or replacing soon.
    Thanks. I was hoping for a less invasive method.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    less invasive? its possible but you should check first if your car's starter is of such type that its carbon brush can be inspected even without removing the whole starter itself, otherwise, you must be a bit familiar with electronic tools like ammeter and voltmeter to make initial analysis....

here it goes...

if carbon brush is accessible, check if its still in good state... pag mahaba pa at intack, meaning hindi pa pudpod at hindi nadudurog, basically ok pa starter mo. you can pressume na malinis pa starter at wala pang masyadong carbon o dumi na pwede mag cause ng poor conductivity...

pag maikli na or medyo malabot at madaling madurog, no choice but to remove na the starter for carbon replacement and cleaning... that way, may check na din kung hindi pa nasisira yung copper slots ng rotor (commutator)...

if you cannot access the brush, get a high capacity ammeter and i recommend another voltmeter unit... verify the specs of your starter and be sure to have a good battery in this test...

connect the DC voltmeter probe to battery terminals... take note of the polarity and the setting of VM (it must be set to DC)... connect the ammeter (also set in DC) to the starter in series ... take note of the rating scale, starter motor draws high current depending on its power rating...

get the initial voltage reading. thereafter, ask somebody to crank your engine and then note the consequent voltage reading (it should be lower than the initial). simultaneously, get the ammeter reading... do this 2 to 3 times...then, after getting those initial measurements, tell your help to crank the engine until is starts.... this time, note of the readings of both testers...

with your electrical data at hand (starter specs and testers readings), you can now compute if your starter is of high resistance (actually its inductance)...

these are other factors to be considered. the higher the resistance, the probability of poor conductivity be due to dirty rotor or deteriorating carbon brush, hence, needs to be serviced/cleaning.

however, if your engine started by drawing small current only and minimal deflection in the voltage reading, it is in good and healthy state...

if it draws too much current and the voltage drops considerably before it starts, thats a sign of starter going bad...

BTW, in the foregoing tests, we are of course pressuming that the starter's windings (both stator and rotor) are in good state... HTH

regards

phezthie

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phezthie View Post
    less invasive? its possible but you should check first if your car's starter is of such type that its carbon brush can be inspected even without removing the whole starter itself, otherwise, you must be a bit familiar with electronic tools like ammeter and voltmeter to make initial analysis....

here it goes...

if carbon brush is accessible, check if its still in good state... pag mahaba pa at intack, meaning hindi pa pudpod at hindi nadudurog, basically ok pa starter mo. you can pressume na malinis pa starter at wala pang masyadong carbon o dumi na pwede mag cause ng poor conductivity...

pag maikli na or medyo malabot at madaling madurog, no choice but to remove na the starter for carbon replacement and cleaning... that way, may check na din kung hindi pa nasisira yung copper slots ng rotor (commutator)...

if you cannot access the brush, get a high capacity ammeter and i recommend another voltmeter unit... verify the specs of your starter and be sure to have a good battery in this test...

connect the DC voltmeter probe to battery terminals... take note of the polarity and the setting of VM (it must be set to DC)... connect the ammeter (also set in DC) to the starter in series ... take note of the rating scale, starter motor draws high current depending on its power rating...

get the initial voltage reading. thereafter, ask somebody to crank your engine and then note the consequent voltage reading (it should be lower than the initial). simultaneously, get the ammeter reading... do this 2 to 3 times...then, after getting those initial measurements, tell your help to crank the engine until is starts.... this time, note of the readings of both testers...

with your electrical data at hand (starter specs and testers readings), you can now compute if your starter is of high resistance (actually its inductance)...

these are other factors to be considered. the higher the resistance, the probability of poor conductivity be due to dirty rotor or deteriorating carbon brush, hence, needs to be serviced/cleaning.

however, if your engine started by drawing small current only and minimal deflection in the voltage reading, it is in good and healthy state...

if it draws too much current and the voltage drops considerably before it starts, thats a sign of starter going bad...

BTW, in the foregoing tests, we are of course pressuming that the starter's windings (both stator and rotor) are in good state... HTH

regards

phezthie
    Thanks a lot! This is very informative.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    your welcome bro, its my pleasure...

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    haven't seen any starter that requires a less invasive method of checking. +1 on GH comment that you have to bring it down (a dirty job)....mine had worn carbon brushes and the symptom was cranking at a very low speed. one of my desperate attempt was jumpstarted my pickup using a 6sm (truck battery). But if you follow this path make sure that you don't overdo it or else you'll fry the armature.....
    one more thing, avoid cranking the starter for greater than 3-5 seconds even if the engine is hard to start....

you may want to connect the batt positive to the starter armature terminal if you're stuck with a failed solenoid....just be cautious for accidental touching of the cables though.

Ways to check the condition of the starter