New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hello good day sirs i have a wrangler with 4jg2 froma elf its current alternator has a 60 amp rating i was wondering if i should upgrade? my wrangler has dual aircon and a sound set up.Is 60 amps is enough or should i upgrade to 90 amp alternator?i notice with all accessories on my headlights dim a little at idle and brighten when i step on the accelerator. i dont want to wait till i encounter problems because these problems might happen in the wrong place at wrong time.and low charging rate can also damage the battery.correct me if im wrong.tnx guys

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjip View Post
    Hello good day sirs i have a wrangler with 4jg2 froma elf its current alternator has a 60 amp rating i was wondering if i should upgrade? my wrangler has dual aircon and a sound set up.Is 60 amps is enough or should i upgrade to 90 amp alternator?i notice with all accessories on my headlights dim a little at idle and brighten when i step on the accelerator. i dont want to wait till i encounter problems because these problems might happen in the wrong place at wrong time.and low charging rate can also damage the battery.correct me if im wrong.tnx guys
    yellowjip,
    there are two ways you can find out if the charging rate is sufficient or not. first, you can install a dash ammeter similar to those used on jeep mb of 1938, the first all terrain suv. it will tell you if the current flow is going positive to the battery or negative flow from the battery to the loads with the alternator supposedly charging. second, if you do not intend to install an ammeter permanently, you can use a clamp-on ammeter around the feed wire to the other loads than the starter motor cable. this will tell you how much the total demand is when all the accessory and lights are on. from there, you can determine if the charging rate of your present alternator is sufficient
    jick
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; December 11th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

upgrade or not?