New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I noticed that my driver side rear brake lamp wont turn on whenever i step on the brakes.

The rear lamps do light up when i turn the park lights/head lights on. Kaya lang pag tapak sa preno nawawala ilaw ng tail lights.

I have already tried replacing the double contact bulbs, and interchanging it with the right side bulbs, pero ayaw pa din ang brake lamps sa kaliwa.

Nasa socket na kaya ang problema? Meron bang nabibiling socket sa side street auto supply? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald_g View Post
    I noticed that my driver side rear brake lamp wont turn on whenever i step on the brakes.

The rear lamps do light up when i turn the park lights/head lights on. Kaya lang pag tapak sa preno nawawala ilaw ng tail lights.

I have already tried replacing the double contact bulbs, and interchanging it with the right side bulbs, pero ayaw pa din ang brake lamps sa kaliwa.

Nasa socket na kaya ang problema? Meron bang nabibiling socket sa side street auto supply? Thanks.
    If it turns off [even the park light] when you brake, it is grounding bro.... Could be loose grounding....

Park light is 5W; Brake light is additional 21W (assuming that you have a double contact P21 bulb),- so if the grounding is intermittent,- both could turn off.....

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

26.0K:poop:

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks sa input cvt! Follow up lang, Can i check on the issue (grounding) myself? Where do i start? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

If it turns off [even the park light] when you brake, it is grounding bro.... Could be loose grounding....

Park light is 5W; Brake light is additional 21W (assuming that you have a double contact P21 bulb),- so if the grounding is intermittent,- both could turn off.....

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Double contact sockets have 2 wires in the middle (one for 5W-park light and the other for 21W-brake light) and one on the side- GROUND,- which is connected to the body of the metal socket. If you have a ohm meter (multimeter), check the integrity of the connection of the ground wire with the socket,- could be loose or the ground wire to the other ground wires of the other sockets, or the body of the vehicle.....

Kayang-kayang DIY iyan!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hey that worked, cvt!

I probed and took off some dirt on the connection of the ground to the socket. And now the brake lamp and rear park light works.

The key for me was to check the ground wiring.

Thanks cvt!

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Double contact sockets have 2 wires in the middle (one for 5W-park light and the other for 21W-brake light) and one on the side- GROUND,- which is connected to the body of the metal socket. If you have a ohm meter (multimeter), check the integrity of the connection of the ground wire with the socket,- could be loose or the ground wire to the other ground wires of the other sockets, or the body of the vehicle.....

Kayang-kayang DIY iyan!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald_g View Post
    Hey that worked, cvt!

I probed and took off some dirt on the connection of the ground to the socket. And now the brake lamp and rear park light works.

The key for me was to check the ground wiring.

Thanks cvt!

Way to go bro.!

Enjoy your ride!