New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Hi Sirs,

I'm driving a 2012 Toyota Vios 1.3E MT.
    Last night as I was driving, I noticed a different engine sound every time I stepped on the accelerator pedal. It's a whining noise na medjo high-pitched na tumutunog after the rev. There's also this sound when I switch within the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear but mag lessen on higher gears although still a faint sound.

Once I got home, I popped the hood and noticed that there's also a burnt smell coming somewhere in the left side near the alternator. What may be the possible cause of this? Is it a sign of a failing alternator? or maybe a problem with one of the belt?
    Any feedback will be much appreciated, thank you!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bring your car to an electrical shop immediately. You could be right about failed alternator. The sound you heard might be electrical whine/noise from the failed alternator.

hth

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    You mentioned the symptom appears while shifting, it could mean a failed or failing clutch. To confirm and eliminate the alternator as a suspect, remove the accessory belt and try diving it to check if the noise disappears

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Could also be slipping belt or stuck pulley / bearing ... just bring it to a reputable mechanic ...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for the feedback! Any ideas on the cost if ever its a bearing / pulley problem? what about if it needs a new alternator? Will an OEM cost about 10k?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by terrajn View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Any ideas on the cost if ever its a bearing / pulley problem? what about if it needs a new alternator? Will an OEM cost about 10k?

One thing at a time. Refrain from jumping the gun.
    Do the basic and obvious first than overthinking it.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hi Sirs,

I'm driving a 2012 Toyota Vios 1.3E MT.
    Last night as I was driving, I noticed a different engine sound every time I stepped on the accelerator pedal. It's a whining noise na medjo high-pitched na tumutunog after the rev. There's also this sound when I switch within the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear but mag lessen on higher gears although still a faint sound.

Once I got home, I popped the hood and noticed that there's also a burnt smell coming somewhere in the left side near the alternator. What may be the possible cause of this? Is it a sign of a failing alternator? or maybe a problem with one of the belt?
    Any feedback will be much appreciated, thank you!
    If your steering is acting sometimes and the engine shudders sometimes, this could be a failing alternator/busted rectifier. Gen2 Batman vioses are Electronic power steering and a failing rectifier diode gives unrectified AC component to the spark plugs causing vibrations and sometimes noise. One way to isolate is by using a stethoscope to check where the noise is coming from, or isolate the driven components one-by-one, anyway it has only one serpentine belt and 2 components to isolate - Alternator and aircon compressor.

An OEM replacement rectifier is about P1.2k New Era brand, excluding labor abt P300. Might as well replace front and rear-end bearings depending the age/odo of your car. Or you could just replace with replacement 80-90Amps alternator assy made in Taiwan for about P4.5k, just bolt-in and you're ready to go.
    Last edited by 12vdc; April 18th, 2018 at 01:19 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    If your steering is acting sometimes and the engine shudders sometimes, this could be a failing alternator/busted rectifier. Gen2 Batman vioses are Electronic power steering and a failing rectifier diode gives unrectified AC component to the spark plugs causing vibrations and sometimes noise. One way to isolate is by using a stethoscope to check where the noise is coming from, or isolate the driven components one-by-one, anyway it has only one serpentine belt and 2 components to isolate - Alternator and aircon compressor.

An OEM replacement rectifier is about P1.2k New Era brand, excluding labor abt P300. Might as well replace front and rear-end bearings depending the age/odo of your car. Or you could just replace with replacement 80-90Amps alternator assy made in Taiwan for about P4.5k, just bolt-in and you're ready to go.
    Thank you for this sir.

Probably will be able to see a mechanic on Sat or Sun. So assuming this, is it better that my ride stays idle in the garage for the next couple of days instead of warming it up? or worse using it for a short drive?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Thank you for this sir.

Probably will be able to see a mechanic on Sat or Sun. So assuming this, is it better that my ride stays idle in the garage for the next couple of days instead of warming it up? or worse using it for a short drive?
    I'd rather leave it in the garage until I will see the mechanic. In my case for our CR-V, I know that the culprit was the Aircon so I ignored the noise until I went to see the repair shop. In your case, you don't know exactly the problem is and using it even for an hour gives you the risk of having a "dead car" in the middle of nowhere.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    It was diagnosed as a failing alternator bearing. Mechanic quoted it at 5k for original front and rear plus labor. Thinking this may be too much.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-U02 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast