New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

how do you remove the oxidation in the distributor cap contacts? hindi naman grabe ang pag-aasin (namumuti) ng points, pero i wanted it gone. i dont have cracks in the cap. i just wanted the oxidation removed.

is there a way to remove this besides sandpaper method?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    after sanding spray it with WD-40. excellent as well in battery terminals. it's a pretty good insulator.
    Last edited by XTO; July 8th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    is there a way to prevent this white corrosion?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    after spraying WD-40 di na babalik yan.

here are some about WD-40.

What does WD-40 do?

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
    1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
    2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
    3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
    4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
    5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
    Last edited by XTO; July 8th, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Haven't tried to use WD40 on it. However, normally, I use very fine sandpaper on it. Afterwhich, I wipe/clean with dry cloth....

Kung emergency minsan at walang sandpaper,- you can scrape the oxidation off using a flat screwdriver.....

6404:pump:

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i used wd 40, but still, the white corrosion is still present. matigas parin

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Replacement / transparent ba distributor cap mo? or still the OEM? Based on my experiences back days, replacement distributor caps (clear / transparent) contacts tend to corrode faster than the OEM (colored red orange). it’s because the contacts are made of copper whereas those from replacements were made of steel. Madali siyang magputi-puti parang kup*1.

Sikwat style done by manong mechanics will remove the rust build up temporarily but masyadong matalim ang screwdriver, nauuka yung contacts. IMO fine sandpaper ang solusyon + WD-40. even sa coil, spark plugs okay ito.

my 1 cent.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    contactless ang distributor ko. pickup coil ang ginagamit. ang ignition coil, built in sa loob ng assembly. mitsubishi cei type. my cap is still the original which came from the factory 8 years ago.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Replace The Cap And Rotor

10. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Just to revive this thread because of the weather higher probability of corrosions, Brought the truck to Reys cubao yesterday braving typhoon Maring, changed battery clamp put a jacket in the positive some wires and added some grease. So far so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
oxidation in distributor cap