New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I need to buy new car battery. Has anyone heard about GS Tropical? It's cheaper than other batteries. Sabi nung tao sa shop mabili daw to sa mga PUJs kasi cheap sya pero he will not say how long it will last.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    kung kapos sa budget, well why not.

pero two things to consider:
    you get what you pay for.
    gaano katagal warranty.

personally, ill stick with motolite kasi tried and tested brand na yun and may warranty.

hth

edit: welcome to tsikot maam...
    Last edited by archie123456789; July 17th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    try to research the particular brand and look for positive feedback.

but for peace of mind and most probably longer warranty, better get a known brand. hirap nang matirikan sa gitna ng daan. try outlast. alam ko medyo cheaper sya than motolite but is quite good too.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    my advice is, if you can't afford the motolite excel, atleast buy the enduro

or

buy a tactical brand that has the same plate number/ quantity per cel of the motolite excel...tactical brands are dynapower and mercury battery. the makers of these tactical brands are the same makers of the motolite. you can know the plate number by looking on the engraved part of the top of the battery, usually very near the top sticker, then the last 2 digits of that code is the plate qty per cel...though naka styro pa di ba yung top and bottom kung bnew...if that's the case, just ask the shop attendant which of the tactical brand batteries have the same plate qty per cel like that of the motolite excel. enduro has 9 plates per cel, gold has i think 11 plates per cel, and excel has 13 plates per cel

and oh, GS battery's maker is the same as motolite's...dry charge nga lang yata ang GS and low maintenance yata and not maintenance free...GS battery, i think, is from oriental yuasa - also from the makers of motolite and oriental batteries

welcome to tsikot ma'am SusieQ!

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    sorry double post

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    That's also a problem with a newbie like me. I tend to look at prices when buying. I always look for a carinderia where PUJ drivers eat for a great deal and a good meal but I dunno if that relates to batteries.

By the way I read an article weeks ago questioning the reliability of the GS battery brand.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for all your advice...

Was seriously considering buying the GS Tropical kasi the price difference is really significant compared to the other brands. Imported din daw kasi yun.

Pero one of my friends also said the same thing that most of you guys are saying - to get the known brand nalang (ang maintenance free) baka daw mas magastusan pa ako in the long run if I get the cheap battery and it conks out on me after just a few months.

Are there any sites that review car battery performances or compare man lang? Ang dami palang brands in the market.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    if you want a battery that is not expensive but have a good quality, next to the motolite series...try the dynapower...
    eto site for specs of motolite battery and battery selector for you to know what's the best battery that they can offer your ride...

http://www.motolite.com/

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    ggrrr double post na naman
    Last edited by ezem; July 17th, 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: double post

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa akin, if it has the same warranty as the more expensive brands, ok lang. pero kung limited and short warranty, not worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is it ok to buy a cheap car battery?