New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I have a Toyota Corolla 1993, AE101 GLI, 1.6 L 4AFE engine, Gas.

My RPM is not working, it is constantly at 0 rpm. Even before I replaced my timing belt. Yesterday I have replaced my timing belt and all the other required parts, I thought it would solve the problem, but its not. It's still not working. I have asked the mechanic for an opinion on what could be the possible problem, he said it could be a problem on the computer box. I still have no idea what causes this, I haven't have it diagnosed yet.

My question is:
    1.)What could be the reason for my RPM to stop working?
    2.)What could be the effect on my engine?
    3.)Do i need to replace the whole gauge assembly or it just needs some repair?

Thank you!

And lastly, Thanks Speedyfix for replacing my timing belt, its working fine now.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    To answer your question:

My question is:
    1.)What could be the reason for my RPM to stop working? it could be a faulty wiring or The RPM gauge itself is busted.

2.)What could be the effect on my engine?
    It does not affect your engine but you won't be able to see how high you rev before you shift to the next gear.

3.)Do i need to replace the whole gauge assembly or it just needs some repair?
    On some cars you do not need to replace the whole gauge assembly to replace the RPM gauge. Your best bet is to go to banawe and look for a surplus guage assembly for your corolla however you can only get the whole assembly and not the RPM gauge itself. Your last option would be is to buy an aftermarket RPM gauge.

HTH

Read more: http://tsikot.com/forums/electricals...#ixzz1ScFZRF7A