New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone,
    I was out of town when my wife called telling me the car won't start. In her haste, she called motolite for a delivery pero hindi pa rin nag start. She then called for a mechanic and it turned out it was a faulty starter relay.Since the old battery is more than 2 years na, she opted to accept the delivered battery. So can anyone offer an advice how to properly store a car battery? Would it be practical to use the old battery ( considering malakas pa naman) and just store the new one until the first one gave up? Thanks very much!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede. you will need to place the battery on wood, in a dry place but with ventillation. the wood is very important! kasi pag pinatong mo sa semento it damages the battery beyond repair, mag-flake off ang plates. i can't explain it but believe me subok ko na yan. patong mo sa semento/ground kahit 24 hours lang and sigurado yan madali na ma-discharge ang battery. more than 2 days nakapatong sa semento di na macha-charge ulit, bumabatak ng amperes sa charger pero disconnect mo yung charger tapos 1 hour lang wala na ulit ang charge. tapos pag i-check mo bitak-bitak na yung battery plates. pero pag nakapatong sa dry wood kahit 6 months pa yan di mawawala ang charge at di masisira ang battery. pwede din yung styropor na packaging nya instead of wood. rubber gasket/matting does not work as well as wood or styro.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    store it in a secure, enclose safe place.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Sir Yebo/ Sir Retz,
    Advice well noted, thanks very much. On second thought, might as well use the new one since waranty for it has to be considered. If this would be the case, is it okey to store the old one the way it is or have it recharged bago i-store?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I think i'll also have opinions here in mind, lagi na discharge yung battery of my car.
    palibhasa ako lang talaga gumagamit ng car pag nasa vacation ako...

would you peeps believe going 3 years na yung car 5k+ pa lang odo? I'll keep an eye on this thread

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Another thing with car maintenance type battery, don't add the electrolyte solution to the battery. just let it separate when storing.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    pwede. you will need to place the battery on wood, in a dry place but with ventillation. the wood is very important! kasi pag pinatong mo sa semento it damages the battery beyond repair, mag-flake off ang plates. i can't explain it but believe me subok ko na yan. patong mo sa semento/ground kahit 24 hours lang and sigurado yan madali na ma-discharge ang battery. more than 2 days nakapatong sa semento di na macha-charge ulit, bumabatak ng amperes sa charger pero disconnect mo yung charger tapos 1 hour lang wala na ulit ang charge. tapos pag i-check mo bitak-bitak na yung battery plates. pero pag nakapatong sa dry wood kahit 6 months pa yan di mawawala ang charge at di masisira ang battery. pwede din yung styropor na packaging nya instead of wood. rubber gasket/matting does not work as well as wood or styro.
    Hhhmmmmm.... Could it be that because the earth is ONE BIG GROUND, bro?....

17.7K:santas:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Hhhmmmmm.... Could it be that because the earth is ONE BIG GROUND, bro?....

17.7K:santas:
    yes it's one big ground, but the battery has a casing and it's supposed to be an insulator. kaya nga di ko ma-explain bakit nagdi-discharge at nasisira ang plates e.

*bobzy: disconnect mo both terminals of the battery. yun ginagawa ko nuon sa car ko sa US since 39 days ako wala lagi (offshore work). or like my post above remove it and place it on top of dry wood blocks.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I normally disconnect my batteries when the cars are in storage, but they are still left inside the cars. I upgraded my battery terminals to "quick-release" types basically for this purpose. Once a month I check on battery voltage, if I get a voltage lower than 12.7, I hook up that battery with a portable charger.

When storing batteries in off-car situations, be sure that the battery is fully charged before storage. Storage area should be well ventilated, cool, dry, and away from direct sunlight. The aforementioned block of wood is necessary, batteries need to be fully insulated from the earth so that they don't discharge.

Or, make yourself a battery tender. See here: Making a Battery Tender?.Give Your Tired Bike A Jolt!

My 2 cents.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Insulate yun mga battery terminals. Baka may magpatong ng metal sa ibabaw ng battery. Disgrasya abutin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you store battery?