New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Sirs,

Our 1999 Ford Ranger seems to be prematurely shorting out its glow plugs, leading to hardstarting problems.

We've had all four replaced around 4 weeks ago, and they seem to be malfunctioning as I left them last weekend. Around 4 months ago, They were had actually been replaced.

The battery's still okay, as well as the starter and the fuel pump.

I wonder what's causing the glow plugs to fail after only a couple of weeks. They were genuine ford parts btw.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My guess: Power is applied to it too long. Check if the time delay relay or whatever it's called still cuts off power to the plugs at the appropriate time. Also, the plugs could still be powered/powering up long after the engine has been running.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    our truck (ranger 2001) has the same problem as yours, almost every month nagpapalit ng heater plug which costs me around 300 each. Halos three times nangyari yun. dumating sa point na inaabot ako ng 15 minutes bago mapaandar yung ranger.

To get rid of that, i went to my trusty mechanic at ang ginawa niya ay naglagay siya ng heater button sa lower portion ng dashboard near the steering column ( yung parang old school na heater ng mga diesel vehicles dati). Ayun, ngayon, ayos na ayos na.

HTH

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    had them replaced again

oj88: The relay is intact, it cuts off power when the engine has been running for around 15-30 seconds if cold. cuts off immediately if the engine is still warm. I'm just not sure if those values are too long

Sarsi: The glow plugs on our rides are rated at 11 volts... and our batteries are 12 volts. Factor kaya yun? Ang linagay na ngayon e 12.5 volts ata. sana tumagal. if not, I might have the relay replaced

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hi Scharnhorst,

My suggestion is you buy an original glow plug.
    Replacements ussually priced at around 300 pesos will not last a week in most cases.
    Aside from longevity some replacements have different dimensions. Worst case we have incountered is naputol sa head during replacement or naiiwan yung dulo sa chamber.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Hi Scharnhorst,

My suggestion is you buy an original glow plug.
    Replacements ussually priced at around 300 pesos will not last a week in most cases.
    Aside from longevity some replacements have different dimensions. Worst case we have incountered is naputol sa head during replacement or naiiwan yung dulo sa chamber.
    hi sir!

original glow plugs were the ones that conked out after just 3 weeks...

Going to have the relays checked again next week, but the electrician showed that it was working, cutting off power after around 30 seconds if the engine was cold. I just don't know how long is too long

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    *scharnhorst,

30 seconds seems too long, compared to all the diesels I've ever driven. I've never had their glow plugs energized for more than 10 seconds... even with a cold engine (Canter, L-300, Pajero and Starex). I don't know if newer Ford diesels are designed as such.

The last time I've driven a Ford (if dad wasn't around) was in the 80's on a Ford Fierra. And their glow plugs were manually operated.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    Sarsi: The glow plugs on our rides are rated at 11 volts... and our batteries are 12 volts. Factor kaya yun? Ang linagay na ngayon e 12.5 volts ata. sana tumagal. if not, I might have the relay replaced
    i don't think so. nasubukan ko na yung 11 and others, i also tried the OEM part, pero ganun pa din. pabalik balik lang sa electrician.

that is why i don't think twice when the electrician recommends the "old skul" heater

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ^^ mukhang relay na ata talaga problema ng rides natin sir. Balik ako sa electrician next week. Insist ko na palitan na yung relay, kahit na "gumagana" pa yun.

kung wala talaga, papalagay ko sa tabi ng rear defogger switch yung para sa glowplugs.

Thanks sa lahat ng nag respond! galing nyo talaga, mga sir!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    check din ng tech mo yung thermoswitch baka yun ang culprit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Heater plugs keep shorting out