New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sirs, since its got busted, I replaced my stock headlight(lowbeam) bulbs from 12v51w to 12v80w. My car is a Civic FD, wala po ba problema to? I mean sa electrical hindi ba delikado?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    High Wattage Headlight Bulbs

Whereas common headlight bulbs operate at approximately 50 watts, high wattage bulbs can more than double the power. High wattage bulbs provide nearly three times as much light, which is even more light than xenon bulbs. The drawback to high wattage bulbs is that they are not legal on public roads because they can blind oncoming drivers. They can be used in vehicles for forestry and construction services, off-road, and emergency services. High wattage bulbs also generate much more head than standard bulbs.

Checking to See if a Car Can Use High Wattage Headlight Bulbs
    In order to use high wattage bulbs, drivers may need to upgrade the wiring in their cars. This can be done using a voltmeter to measure the output of the alternator. The positive voltmeter lead should be moved to the back of the bulb, which will pierce the insulation. With the lights on, turn on the engine and note the voltage. Compare that voltage to a measurement taken with the lights off and car running at 2000 rpm. If the voltage drop is over one volt, there are some mechanical issues that will need to be resolved before high wattage bulbs can be used.

Is it Okay to Change the Wattage of my Bulbs? | eBay

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sean-archer View Post
    Sirs, since its got busted, I replaced my stock headlight(lowbeam) bulbs from 12v51w to 12v80w. My car is a Civic FD, wala po ba problema to? I mean sa electrical hindi ba delikado?
    High risk na matunaw yung connector mo in less than a week kung hindi mo pinalitan ng ceramic type...

Sent via Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    parang issue na ata ng fd yung parang natutunaw ung upper part ng head light sa tapat ng bulb, so mas mapapabilis ang deterioration ng head light lense mo.

plus the ceramic suggestion sa taas.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sean-archer View Post
    return to stock wattage, refer to your owners manual on the proper wattage, don't risk of electrical fire...

if you want more light output, there are Osram night breakers and philips extreme vision bulbs running on the same stock wattage thus is also street legal...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    What may happen when changing from a regular to a higher power headlight bulbs?

■ Risk of short circuit
    A 51W 12V bulb will draw 4.25 amperes* of current. That current flows through the wiring from the power source to the bulb. The wires should be able to handle the current flowing through it (i.e., wire is rated 5 amps). When you change to 81W 12V, the bulb will draw 6.75 amps of current from the power source. In our example, the 5-amp rated wire won't be able to handle the current flowing through it because it is beyond its capacity. If there is a fuse along the line, the fuse will just blow up. But if there is none, the wires will heat up and may melt the insulators causing a short circuit. For me, an electrical short circuit is the last thing that I would want to happen to my car.

■ Lense deterioration
    The headlight lense maybe able to handle only a certain temperature. Changing to a high power bulb will cause a significant increase in temperature (i.e., halogen bulb) that maybe beyond the lense's capacity resulting to faster deterioration.

* power = pressure × current
    51W = 12V x 4.25A
    81W = 12V x 6.75A

power in watts
    potential/pressure in volts
    current in amperes

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thank you guys! Very educational. I think im gonna change them up to stock again for my peace of mind.