New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hello Tsikoteers !

I am encountering a weird problem with my corolla 2000.

With the gearstick at neutral. At idle, my headlight is bright but it gets brighter when i step a bit on the accelerator.

Sometimes, while driving on the road, my car stereo suddenly lose power for about 1 to 2 seconds and comes back on. I've experienced a few times na biglang nag blink to off and then back on yung headlights.

The aircon fan is also weaker at idle. Mas malakas ang hangin when i am stepping on the gas.

Nag start lang ito within the past two weeks or so.

Any idea whats wrong ? Alternator problem ?

Thanks..

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoteng View Post
    Hello Tsikoteers !

I am encountering a weird problem with my corolla 2000.

With the gearstick at neutral. At idle, my headlight is bright but it gets brighter when i step a bit on the accelerator.

Sometimes, while driving on the road, my car stereo suddenly lose power for about 1 to 2 seconds and comes back on. I've experienced a few times na biglang nag blink to off and then back on yung headlights.

The aircon fan is also weaker at idle. Mas malakas ang hangin when i am stepping on the gas.

Nag start lang ito within the past two weeks or so.

Any idea whats wrong ? Alternator problem ?

Thanks..

kikoteng,
    check your power sources: your battery and its terminals, check the alternator output. with engine at idle, vehicle at rest, load up with the headlights on and observe the system voltage at the battery terminal cables. then unload the headlights to verify a change in the system voltage. or check with the last electrical component that had ben disrupted or disturbed. the head lights flicker maybe?
    jick

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    kikoteng,
    check your power sources: your battery and its terminals, check the alternator output. with engine at idle, vehicle at rest, load up with the headlights on and observe the system voltage at the battery terminal cables. then unload the headlights to verify a change in the system voltage. or check with the last electrical component that had ben disrupted or disturbed. the head lights flicker maybe?
    jick

correct ka diyan, the more appropriate title should have been 'flickering headlights' ... hehehe

Thanks for the input.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Check also your Grounding system . Sometimes stock grounding get rust or install a grounding kit for better grounding . It helps in audio system , headlight and other accessory load to be stable.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    most common cause is your alternator about to go so you might as well have the charging system checked by the pros.

common alt problems of this scenario are rectifier , stator windings

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    try niyong dalhin sa mga reputable battery shops, libre naman ang padiagnose dito. madali nila ma chcheck kung battery or alternator ang problema coz they have the proper tools to check this.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    alternator. we had the very same symptoms. and this happened to me a few days ago lang din. then finally umilaw na yung battery light sa dash while driving. alam ko na ibig sabihin nun, diskargado na battery. eh kaso umaandar ang kotse so dapat hindi madiskarga. kaya ayun nung pag uwi ko, test na agad kung ok pa ang charging, bagsak na ang alternator. kinabukasan i tried to take it out (the alternator) kaso ang higpit ng mga bolts kaya sinubukan kong i-start. umandar naman after a few tries. kaya dinala ko na agad sa Panay St. at dun ko na pina-tira yung Alt ko. maayos na ngayon ang oto.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hi Guys !

Did a quick check today on the battery terminals. Had my headlights replaced a few days ago. Positive terminal was loose.

I tightened it and the problems seem to have gone away. I'm hoping that's the end of that.

However, I'd like to ask if there's a simple way of knowing if the alternator is okay.

Also, if the alternator isnt working, how long does it usually take for the battery to get discharged ?

Thanks for the inputs, guys. They've been very helpful.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    kikoteng,
    jick

jick.cejoco,

Regarding check voltage at the battery terminal cabes, if there is a change in the system voltage, does that mean the alternator is ok ?

Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoteng View Post
    jick.cejoco,

Regarding check voltage at the battery terminal cabes, if there is a change in the system voltage, does that mean the alternator is ok ?

Thanks.

kikoteng,
    it depends, what was the voltage with engine at rest? what was the voltage with the engine running? what was the voltage with the engine running and loaded with headlights? publish your numbers please.
    jick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
fluctuating headlights