New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Good day sirs. Someone might be able to help. Vehicle is a gen 1 pajero (4d56 n/a).

Situation: engine didn't start today. Things I observed to be out of the ordinary are: indication lamps for the glow plug/heater, fuel/water separator & battery does not light up when ignition key is turned on. Hazard, turn signals, door ajar, radio & lights, however, are ok. Nagamit ko pa kagabi. Ok naman.

Checked fuses, all are ok. Will have to contact an electrician, but just wanted to know if there is something else I should check first?

Thanks for any advise.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbok02 View Post
    Good day sirs. Someone might be able to help. Vehicle is a gen 1 pajero (4d56 n/a).

Situation: engine didn't start today. Things I observed to be out of the ordinary are: indication lamps for the glow plug/heater, fuel/water separator & battery does not light up when ignition key is turned on. Hazard, turn signals, door ajar, radio & lights, however, are ok. Nagamit ko pa kagabi. Ok naman.

Checked fuses, all are ok. Will have to contact an electrician, but just wanted to know if there is something else I should check first?

Thanks for any advise.

check the fusible links (these are color coded wire fuses near the battery positive terminal. the insulation may look intact but sometimes the sacrificial wire inside is fried, the insulation is a fire resistant rubber like insulation similar to your flat iron cord) it is your power supply to the ignition switch (there are usually two circuits in the ignition switch aside from the starter circuit)

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Check your battery first.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Update lang. Dead battery was the culprit. Anyway, changed battery already. Nag start na. However, some questions still which I would appreciate inputs from fellow tsikoteers.

1. Ganun ba talaga ka abrupt pag namatay na ang battery (as in ngayon ok pa pero kinabukasan dedo na)?
    2. Although engine started already, dashboard lights for glow plug/heater, battery, water/fuel separator, etc still not lighting up when ignition key is first turned on (hand brake, turn signals, hazard indicators and head/tail lights nagana naman), what else could be the problem?
    3. I can't seem to locate the fusible link mentioned by Sir Jick. Checked service manual for this model pajero and sub-fusible link ang mentioned. Checked those, la naman putol ang wires.
    4. Can the vehicle be driven para madala lang sa electrician (mandaluyong to banawe ang distance na kelangan ibyahe) or would it do more harm?

Again, thanks in advance for any advise.

5. Join Date
    May 2012
    tuwing naiiwan ko yung suzuki multicab namin sa parking slot for a week. the battery gets drained. good thing is maraming lalaki doon na pwedeng magtulak. i use it 3x a week to make sure the battery doesn't drain and was advised to disconnect from the terminal kung iiwan for long periods. haven't explored the reason for the grounding though.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    assuming the car's electrical system do not have a problem, and the battery is healthy or new, the battery charge still decays for as long as there is chemical reaction of the positive and negative plates. the charge decay is accelerated if the battery top ( top post terminal type) is dirty and has some electrolyte accumulation on top of the battery. you can even measure voltage from any of the two terminals of the battery and the dirt and electrolyte accumulation on top of the battery.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Sirs, going back to the questions posted earlier & current situation of vehicle:

1. Changed battery (got amaron to replace the previous Motolite enduro)
    2. Starts already.
    3. Functioning lights: head, tail, turn, hazard, cabin, brake, instrument cluster (turn, hazard, park and door ajar)
    4. No longer functioning in instrument cluster (nagana naman previously): heater/glow plug, battery, water/fuel separator indicator lights
    5. Stereo, aircon, alarm functional
    6. Fuses are ok (including sub-fusible links (la naman putol)

Again questions which fellow tsikoteers might have inputs or recommendations:

1. Could the alternator also be a possible culprit?
    2. Ganun ba talaga ka abrupt mamatay ang battery?
    3. Assuming there is still grounded/shorted/fried connections, can I still drive the vehicle (kahit hanggan sa location ng electrician/mechanic lang; mandaluyong to banawe ang reference distance)? Or better not to use it na muna?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if memory serves me right, when a diesel engine starts running, it will continue running as long as it has fuel and air. kahit ilublob mo pa sa tubig. kahit kaluluwa na lang yung baterya. so it think you can drive it to your talyer for a look-see.

alternator's fault? puede. but it can easily be checked at a good battery shop.

and yes, batteries die abruptly. usually when you are in a hurry the next morning. heh heh.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Same here, my battery died abruptly. Hindi man lang nagparamdam na magreresign na siya. AMP meter na may variable load dial yung ginamit ng motolite technician to verify that it's a battery problem.