New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    need help! - i get 'electrocuted' by my car almost every time when i touch the door to close it after a drive - usually after a long drive... this has happened starting about a few weeks after i got new car about three months ago, but now occurrence is alarmingly often... is this the car? or its me?!! what can i do to get rid of this... pls help... thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MayG View Post
    need help! - i get 'electrocuted' by my car almost every time when i touch the door to close it after a drive - usually after a long drive... this has happened starting about a few weeks after i got new car about three months ago, but now occurrence is alarmingly often... is this the car? or its me?!! what can i do to get rid of this... pls help... thanks
    Would it be static discharge?

Do you have dry skin?

Do you have the aircon running very cold?

Do you move a lot in your car's seat? A car seat cover might help prevent the static build up.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's the static energy built up on the car; used to happen to me also on one of our cars.

On how to avoid it, there are some suggestions on google but you have to try them for yourself.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    a proper grounding issue perhaps?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Yeah, that's just static discharge. It has a lot to do with humidity (or absence of), the kind of materials your clothes and seats are made of, as well as shoes and carpeting.

It's been years since I got a jolt. But when I did get them regularly at some point in time, whenever I'm coming out of the car, I open the door, land my palm on the painted portion of the door (more surface area contact, the better), then ease out of the car, never letting go until I'm standing on the ground. This helps disipate the charge throughout your palm so the spark wouldn't form.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    an electric personality! super balbon? could be you! you need to wax off that fur.

or the clothes you wear, like wool.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    thanks everyone for the super fast responses

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I think electric shock is more appropriate term. Being electrocuted is tantamount to DOA.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YcBJY29Ju4]How To Avoid Static Electricity - YouTube[/ame] -- found this on youtube... to those that have a problem like mine, this might help thanks again to everyone

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    in addition, the rubbing of your butt with the seat while you drive is also a cause of static electricity....try wiping the door handles with a cloth after every drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Electrocuted by my Car