New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008

Hi guys,

May nakapag-try na ba sa inyo na gamitin yung computer power supply na pang-charge ng car baatery?

Paano ba gawin ito?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    no it will not work because the minimum voltage needed to charge a lead-acid battery is 13.2 volts and the computer power supply puts out only 12 volts.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    sorry double post .. me bad
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; October 25th, 2012 at 09:55 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    For what purpose?

Trickle charging?

Check out this link: http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_Ze...4/article.html

Naka gawa na ako nyan, and I'm using it sa bahay.

DIY lang, zero to minimal cost!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    For what purpose?

Trickle charging?

Check out this link: Browser Warning

Naka gawa na ako nyan, and I'm using it sa bahay.

DIY lang, zero to minimal cost!

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply. Hindi lang sana pang trickle, kung baga pang-charge na rin kung sakaling ma-drain. At balak ko rin sana gamitin habang nagpapatugtog ako ng sounds gamit yung set-up ng kotse.

So posible ba?

Tsaka kung sakaling gagawa ako sa house ng sub woofer at may 1000watts apms ako paired with a 15" 2000w na sub eh pwede pa kaya yung power supply ng PC..?

TIA

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    mababa ata amperahe ng power supply di kakayanin load.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    mababa ata amperahe ng power supply di kakayanin load.
    Not all power supplies are created equal. If you go with an established brand of power supply (Corsair, Antec, FSP, Thermaltake, etc) and shop wattage ratings accordingly, you can see stuff with as much as 60A on one output rail. Quality power supply units can be pricey though.

If you plan on using a PC power supply unit as a charger, you'll need to read the labels to make sure you get the wattage or amperage you need. Otherwise I think it should be feasible.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you can manage to up the output voltage to at least 13.2 volts, then you can use it to charge your battery.. a little longer time (o sige, a lot longer time) than what the usual car battery chargers need, but it'll do the job.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Ah, ok so basta't ma-modify yung PSU to have an output of 13.2V+ would be good. Tingin ko naman ay magagawan ng paraan ito.

What about using the PSU as the power source of my ampli? Kakayanin kaya? Napansin ko kasi maninipis yung wires ng PSU kumpara sa wire na ginagamit papuntang battery ng car eh. Ano sa tingin nyo guys?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post
    Ah, ok so basta't ma-modify yung PSU to have an output of 13.2V+ would be good. Tingin ko naman ay magagawan ng paraan ito.

What about using the PSU as the power source of my ampli? Kakayanin kaya? Napansin ko kasi maninipis yung wires ng PSU kumpara sa wire na ginagamit papuntang battery ng car eh. Ano sa tingin nyo guys?
    in charging the battery, the important aspect is that the power supply should be able to push a higher voltage than the battery can push out. if not, you can not charge the battery, no matter how much current (amps) your source can dish out. the amperage is not a factor of yes charge or no charge. . it is a factor of how long it will take to charge the battery. let's say that a charger that dishes out 5 amps fully charges the battery in, say 8 hours.. if your PSU can only dish out 1 amp, than it'll take 40 hours to charge that battery. the only penalty would be time.
    now, in powering your amplifier, let us say your amplifier demands x amps. if your power supply can not dish out continuously at least x amps, then it'll burn out fast. and do not equate electrical input watts with amplifier output sound watts.. they're different..
    btw, those wires you mentioned.. they are a rough indication of just how much power your gadget will handle or will require, to function..
    Last edited by dr. d; October 26th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Can a Computer Power Supply Used as Car Battery Charger