New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    a few days ago, i noticed my innova's brake lights weren't working. the tail light filaments worked, but my brake filaments weren't.
    after checking the fusebox... "high naku! another horror job under the dash... hirap abutin ang pedal brake switch na yan..."
    buti na lang, i decided to check the bulbs first.
    aba! tinanggal ang bulbs at ibinalik, at ok na sila!
    apparently, dirty contacts lang.

thinking about it... what are the chances, that both bulbs decided to suffer from dirty contacts, or both bulbs going kaput, at the same time?
    Last edited by dr. d; October 30th, 2017 at 11:01 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Seems like a common problem. It happened to my dad's Innova 2.5V sa driver's side. I also remember seeing a thread about it several months ago.

I would think that they never went out at the same time. But that seems to indicate a design flaw with the contacts.... tolerances, contact pressure, or even the chemical makeup that might cause the bulb and the socket contacts to react and corrode at the point of contact.

I haven't encountered it personally as I never had the conventional bulbs long enough. A few months after buying my Innova, I switched them out with a pair of 1157 red LEDs.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    a few days ago, i noticed my innova's brake lights weren't working. the tail light filaments worked, but my brake filaments weren't.
    after checking the fusebox... "high naku! another horror job under the dash... hirap abutin ang pedal brake switch na yan..."

thinking about it... what are the chances, that both bulbs decided to suffer from dirty contacts, or both bulbs going kaput, at the same time?

Lucky you that it was just a case of dirty contacts! I personally prefer both bulbs going kaput at the same time so they get replaced at the same time as well.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009

I've noticed that nowadays, Japanese car brands and parts made outside japan break down easily unlike the parts that are "made in japan" decades ago. My LC BJ44 stoplight bulbs are still working and are made in japan..
    maybe that parts made outside japan are still with good QC with regards to how they are made but probably the locally sourced materials are not....

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    I've noticed that nowadays, Japanese car brands and parts made outside japan break down easily unlike the parts that are "made in japan" decades ago. My LC BJ44 stoplight bulbs are still working and are made in japan..
    maybe that parts made outside japan are still with good QC with regards to how they are made but probably the locally sourced materials are not....
    I've been noticing a lot of new cars with busted tail lights or tail lights working, but brake light not working.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    silicon grease meron dapat para iwas sa umido..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by falken View Post
    I've been noticing a lot of new cars with busted tail lights or tail lights working, but brake light not working.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    i thought it's just me...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Happened to my Altis '03. After a loooong while, I suddenly got the urge to check on my brake and tail lights. First thing I noticed is that my tail lights seem to not be working. I asked my nephew to depress the brakes and the 3rd brake light is not working also. Upon checking, busted na yung brake light bulb. Yung sa tail lights mukhang okay naman pero ayaw talaga gumana. And I can't seem to find kung may separate fuses ba mga ito. Pinalitan ko na ng bagong bulbs both brake and tail lights pero wala pa rin. So dinala ko na sa Rey's Electrical at contacts nga lang daw ang problema. Nilinis lang ng sandpaper yung contacts ng tail light sockets at nag-okay na. I was quite a bit incredulous pa nga nung nililinis yung contacts kasi hindi naman mukhang madumi, at naka-ilang tanggal kabit na ako so dapat kahit papaano eh gumana na siya kahit intermittently kung contacts lang. Sa sobrang tuwa ko, Php80 lang sinisingil pero binigyan ko yata ng 120 or 150.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2017

ever time I unplug or disconnect an electrical connection I apply dielectric grease to improve and seal connection against dust and moisture. Try it.