New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    My point is ganun pa rin, you still need to replace it soon. Why prolong the agony? It's not like you'll save money by doing that. Or to can prolong the battery life indefinitely.

And yun hassle na anytime pwede hinde mag start na kotse mo. 2-3 months na ma extend mo than replacing it with a new one. I dont thing it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you miss the point, sir.

the point of maintenance-free-ness, is that user need not worry about maintaining that battery (e.g., adding water) during its warranty period. to those who have experienced the joys of maintaining the battery before the advent of MF batteries, this is indeed a boon!

but once the warranty is over, and the battery is still functioning according to my (user's) normal expectation...
    if i were to open up the filler holes and see that the water level is already low, i would put in more water. who knows, that may give me an extra several weeks' or months' worth of normal battery function, before it starts making signs of death-is-a-coming.
    we are all aware of batteries lasting well past their warranty periods.

but yes, i have a colleague who replaces the battery on its second birthday, regardless of its perceived condition, because my colleague is deathly afraid of dead battery syndrome.
    are you also advocating this practice?
    i have nothing against those who wish to do so.

but i am addressing my opening the battery after the warranty is over, to those who wish to squeeze every last erg of battery juice from it.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 1st, 2017 at 07:04 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's maintenace FREE that's the point where during and after warranty.

And is it worth it to be able to extend it for a couple of weeks?

You put maintenance free because you don't want that hassle to check water level every now and then. If that's your drift why not put the regular battery instead? As I've said it defeated the purpose of putting maintenace free battery.

My advocacy is if it's broken then replace it. It's it's designs and meant to be replaced for a specific time the replace.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ;2825929
    It's maintenace FREE that's the point where during and after warranty.

And is it worth it to be able to extend it for a couple of weeks?

You put maintenance free because you don't want that hassle to check water level every now and then. If that's your drift why not put the regular battery instead? As I've said it defeated the purpose of putting maintenace free battery.

My advocacy is if it's broken then replace it. It's it's designs and meant to be replaced for a specific time the replace.

the point of "maintenance-free", is that it is a promise. it is not a warning.

perhaps you mis-understand.
    i recommend opening and checking battery water levels, after the warranty period. para wala nang warranty issues.

why do i not use regular, maintenance-full battery? because i kinda like the idea of not needing to check for 12 or 18 or 24 months.
    but after the warranty, the manufacturer has effectively declared, "we will not answer for any failings of the battery anymore".
    so i recommend checking the water level, and re-filling if necessary.
    such a simple procedure as water re-filling, potentially giving me weeks to months to years additional battery life... not a bad deal.

lasty, a battery out of warranty, is not a broken battery. it is, simply, "out of warranty". and therefore, we should treat it like any other battery, e.g., maintenance procedures.
    to assume that a battery out of warranty "is designed to be replaced", is preposterous.

OT. amaron vs. panasonic pala ito.
    sorry.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 1st, 2017 at 09:21 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    My point is ganun pa rin, you still need to replace it soon. Why prolong the agony? It's not like you'll save money by doing that. Or to can prolong the battery life indefinitely.

And yun hassle na anytime pwede hinde mag start na kotse mo. 2-3 months na ma extend mo than replacing it with a new one. I dont thing it's worth it.

Bro shadow, not just weeks but months to a year. Yun motolite na pinalitan ko, ok pa daw for a year sabi nun taga motolite; pero hush hush yun, kasi nga naman gagawin ng iba (like me) eh gamitin bilang MF then after warranty expires, top up nalang ng distilled water.

Sent from my D5303 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    how long ma-extend ang service life ng maintentance free batteries kung bubuksan at i-refill ng distilled water?

If you really want to extend car battery life, get a CTek MXS 5.0 battery charger ...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Dr. D has a point ... squeeze every ounce of your hard earned money ...

Shadow also has a point ... why risk getting stranded with a dead battery? ... and the hassle and inconvenience that goes along with it ...

So to each his own type of consumer ... one that wants to get the money's worth ... and the other after the convenience ...

There's a middle ground though ... one is to install a voltmeter or OBD2 paired with an App ... to monitor battery life ... another is to invest in a smart battery charger like CTek MXS 5.0 / Time To Go ...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My car's battery is Amaron and I can't afford to wait for the battery to die since they don't have 24 hr delivery unlike Motolite.

When I was using a Motolite, I wait for it to die. Nagpapatulak na lang ako tapos sa bahay na ko pa deliver

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    If you really want to extend car battery life, get a CTek MXS 5.0 battery charger ...
    could you please elaborate how can this gadget extend a car battery life? do you own one? it cost almost the same as a new 3SM battery. if it can extend twice the warrantied life of a regular battery then its good value for money, if not then i'd rather buy a new battery...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    ^ supposedly it desulfates and reconditions the battery then recharge it.

My brother has it. So far, the batting average is it restored 4/6 batteries we tried it with. 2 of those batteries are amaron beyond warranty.

Personally, i dont think its worth the money. Ill just save my money and call motolite when my battery dies in the middle of the night or have my suki deliver amaron to the house. Same price lang ctek and the amaron 2SM i bought

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by succubus View Post
    My car's battery is Amaron and I can't afford to wait for the battery to die since they don't have 24 hr delivery unlike Motolite.

When I was using a Motolite, I wait for it to die. Nagpapatulak na lang ako tapos sa bahay na ko pa deliver
    do what my colleague does.
    replace the battery on its 24th months' birthday, regardless of condition.

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast