New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Vehicle is a 2001 Kia Carnival TDIC

When the stock battery finally gave way, we replaced it with a motolite 3sm battery, the non-maintenance free ones where you're still able to add distilled water. I noticed that it is quite smaller than the one it replaced but it also has "six" rows.

Btw we use the vehicle 3 times a week which means not everyday. After a few months of trouble-free operation, when i was trying to start the car, it just wont start. the instrument lights are bright, the starter is cranking, the glow plug light on the instrument panel comes on and comes off. after a few cranks the battery dies down. I cannot jumpstart it because its an AT. so i connect it to our other car's battery and it starts right up. If we use it again tommorow, it starts right up. but after a day or two, same thing happens again:confused:

What could be the culprit here.. :confused:

btw i've noticed that after some time the terminals gets filled with these dried up battery acid.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    could be 1. your alternator needs repair
    2. the battery terminal is dirty that it just needs cleaning to regain the lost contact
    3. The battery may be defective.

try to claen the terminals of the battery by removing the battery connectors and use a sandpaper to remove the battery acid residue from the terminal and connectors. : )
    Then if it still doesn't work check the alternator by using an amp meter and volt meter if its normal it just could be the battery is weak

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka nga defective battery, di na ba covered ng warranty yan?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you checked if your alternator is still working?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pano ba ichecheck kung gumagana pa alternator? :D

iba sa gas at diesel tama ba

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In a simplier way, attaching amp meter or volt meter can be checked, if amp meter does not twitch to positive side. Or volt meter does not reach 12 volts.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks jon

hindi kaya mali ang nabili kong battery? kasi parang mas mataas ung reserve capacity nung pinalitan ko.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Small discrepancy lang yung reserve capacity ng battery when alternator is working to supply the electric need by your car. Once you start and engine is idle, alternator should charge the loss juice while cranking.

Pero, kung sira ang alternator, all your electrical components are using battery's last reserved capacity to supply the demand. While the alternator doesn't charge the juice lost.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for the info jon!

last question: ok lang ba ung nagleleak ng konti ung battery? pansin ko may battery acid sa ibabaw after a few days. non-maintenance free battery gamit ko.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Over-filled yan dapat bawasan. Take a syringe to suck the water out. Delikado sa paint finish ang battery solutions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Battery Under Capacity?