New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49
    #1
    Im not really good at this but here goes, I noticed that for almost a month now my car has been having great difficulty starting up most especially if left turned off for more than 8 hrs, and any longer than that and I end up requesting people to help push the car for me to jump start it, funny thing is that even with this issue, the battery indicator has never come on, I mean it lights up when I turn the key and turns off when the car starts. I took it to a car shop, they plugged some wires, ran some tests, and the conclusions they are giving me may be true but it could also be that they may be just trying to squeeze as much cash from me as possible. At first they told me that its the battery, its too small for the car, in a nutshell they say the car consumes more power than what the battery is able to charge back, and they added that the guy who probably sold me the car just put that battery in just so he can sell it. Ok I will admit the battery looks really small, its pretty obvious because the battery compartment is bigger than the battery itself, but the thing is the car has not been giving me any start-up issues for the first year and a half so if it was a battery issue wouldn't it have had start up issues from the start? and they're next diagnosis is that there is a possible problem with the alternator, so they are suggesting that I first buy a battery from them (surprisingly they're suggesting that I get the most expensive at 8k) and then if the battery does not solve the issue thats when I get my alternator checked and possibly replaced ( lol which they also do) and I asked them that in case its an alternator issue, could I return the battery?, and they said no..... So, its not like Im calling them a bunch of crooks...yet, but it just seems a bit suspicious so I might as well get some feed back from you guys first before I do anything else, just to get other peoples opinion on this matter, Thanks

    Car by the way is a Hyundai Getz, 2007, manual

  2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    15,525
    #2
    i used to own a getz..... and i ran on a 1SM battery that i put water regularly.
    one thing to find out.... check the output voltage of the alternator.... if its too low, then its the alternator..
    when was the last time you changed your battery pala?

  3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,592
    #3
    How about trying to call a motolite delivery service? They will ask for your car model and will suggest the appropriate match. They will test the battery first and if it is functioning well, they will not force you to buy the battery but you have to pay the service charge (300 I think).

  4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    15,525
    #4
    i used to own a getz..... and i ran on a 1SM battery that i put water regularly.
    one thing to find out.... check the output voltage of the alternator.... if its too low, then its the alternator..
    when was the last time you changed your battery pala?

  5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    i used to own a getz..... and i ran on a 1SM battery that i put water regularly.
    one thing to find out.... check the output voltage of the alternator.... if its too low, then its the alternator..
    when was the last time you changed your battery pala?
    Never changed it yet, battery is pretty new, it was installed the day I bought the car, the mechanic did say that the car was consuming more than what it was charging so he says it could be the alternator, but why was he still pushing me to buy the battery...I wondered why couldnt they have used a spare battery in their shop and checked if it was the battery or not

    if in case its the alternator, is it expensive to repair, am I better off having a battery problem rather than an alternator problem?


    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur
    How about trying to call a motolite delivery service? They will ask for your car model and will suggest the appropriate match. They will test the battery first and if it is functioning well, they will not force you to buy the battery but you have to pay the service charge (300 I think)
    Not sure if Motolite does it here in our city, but didnt try that yet, but Ill give it a shot

  6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    15,525
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossmonkee View Post
    Never changed it yet, battery is pretty new, it was installed the day I bought the car, the mechanic did say that the car was consuming more than what it was charging so he says it could be the alternator, but why was he still pushing me to buy the battery...I wondered why couldnt they have used a spare battery in their shop and checked if it was the battery or not

    if in case its the alternator, is it expensive to repair, am I better off having a battery problem rather than an alternator problem?




    Not sure if Motolite does it here in our city, but didnt try that yet, but Ill give it a shot
    suspicious..... i strongly feel its the battery.
    better yet, bring it to a reputable shop...

  7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    185
    #7
    Hello Sir,
    Ask ko lang po if nun time na dinala ninyo sa mekaniko eh kung gumamit po ba sila ng tester?
    Yun battery po ba maintenance free? If maintenance free ano po color nun hydrometer?
    If not maintenance free, musta naman po yun water level?
    Nag try po ba yun mekaniko na i-remove yun connection ng battery habang umaandar yun engine?

    Better yet, I suggest try nyo po yun suggestion ni dreamur.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Hello Sir,
    Ask ko lang po if nun time na dinala ninyo sa mekaniko eh kung gumamit po ba sila ng tester?
    Yun battery po ba maintenance free? If maintenance free ano po color nun hydrometer?
    If not maintenance free, musta naman po yun water level?
    Nag try po ba yun mekaniko na i-remove yun connection ng battery habang umaandar yun engine?

    Better yet, I suggest try nyo po yun suggestion ni dreamur.

  8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    986
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossmonkee View Post
    Im not really good at this but here goes, I noticed that for almost a month now my car has been having great difficulty starting up most especially if left turned off for more than 8 hrs, and any longer than that and I end up requesting people to help push the car for me to jump start it, funny thing is that even with this issue, the battery indicator has never come on, I mean it lights up when I turn the key and turns off when the car starts. I took it to a car shop, they plugged some wires, ran some tests, and the conclusions they are giving me may be true but it could also be that they may be just trying to squeeze as much cash from me as possible. At first they told me that its the battery, its too small for the car, in a nutshell they say the car consumes more power than what the battery is able to charge back, and they added that the guy who probably sold me the car just put that battery in just so he can sell it. Ok I will admit the battery looks really small, its pretty obvious because the battery compartment is bigger than the battery itself, but the thing is the car has not been giving me any start-up issues for the first year and a half so if it was a battery issue wouldn't it have had start up issues from the start? and they're next diagnosis is that there is a possible problem with the alternator, so they are suggesting that I first buy a battery from them (surprisingly they're suggesting that I get the most expensive at 8k) and then if the battery does not solve the issue thats when I get my alternator checked and possibly replaced ( lol which they also do) and I asked them that in case its an alternator issue, could I return the battery?, and they said no..... So, its not like Im calling them a bunch of crooks...yet, but it just seems a bit suspicious so I might as well get some feed back from you guys first before I do anything else, just to get other peoples opinion on this matter, Thanks

    Car by the way is a Hyundai Getz, 2007, manual
    follow this steps sir, and you will not go wrong or waste your money

    1. first, use the appropriate battery size for the vehicle. regardless of other factor, if it uses 2sm or 1sm as factory size, then use the correct size and rating. never go below the rating but you can go above the specification.

    2.have your battery and alternator "LOAD TESTED". hanap ka preferred battery shop mo in your area, whether motolite yan or ibang shop, then ask them to Load test your battery. if wala sila gamit, lipat ka to another shop until you find one,

    load testing will determine if the alternator is producing enough current to charge your battery even if all accessories are being operated.
    (alternator output > aircon/headlights/radio/map lights/ etc consumption )
    example if your alternator produces 80 amps, and all accessories are at 50 amps, then the remaining 30 amps will charge the battery.

    load testing will eliminate whether the battery or alternator is the cause of your hard start.

    3. if battery is the culprit replace it. if alternator is below charging output, bring it to a shop to have the diodes/IC replaced and for a new set of carbon brush.

    4. if the battery and alternator checks ok!, then your hard starting might not be related to your battery and alternator. it might be something else, we move from that point to another aspect of the starting system.

    5. be sure that there is no parasitic ground or parasitic load that is constantly and continuously consuming power even when you turn of the ignition.
    Last edited by miko101130; August 4th, 2015 at 06:51 PM.

  9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49
    #9
    Sige po, thanks by the way sa mga lahat na suggestion ill try them all out, by the way i took another look at my battery, my battery type doesnt seem to have any brand, looks like a very ordinary generic battery with a small white sticker on top stating that its an NS40

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Sige po, thanks by the way sa mga lahat na suggestion ill try them all out, by the way i took another look at my battery, my battery type doesnt seem to have any brand, looks like a very ordinary generic battery with a small white sticker on top stating that its an NS40

  10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18
    #10
    I had my battery checked and replaced by motolite express delivery service last weekend since it was confirmed that my battery is already weak. They have a handy tester to check whether your battery is for replacement or if the alternator is still capable of charging your battery, if you want you may call their hotline,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Is it the Battery or my Alternator?????? HEEELP!