New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    recently replaced my stock alternator, over charging kasi. repair of the ic regulator cost almost the same as surplus, so i opted to buy a surplus na lang.

the stock i believe was 70 amp, since wala ako mabili na same ampere rating i was forced to buy an 80 amp alternator. napansin ko mas malaki ang pulley nya. why is that? any tips to keep in mind since malaki pulley nya? does that mean, mas matagal magcharge dahil mas babagal ang ikot nya?

any effect if my battery is only 1sm, instead of the bigger 2sm?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Replace the surplus alternator pulley with your stock pulley. I would have kept my stock alternator (check/replace brushes and end bearings) and just replace the defective IC. But that's just me.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    just a background.

nung nag oovercharging with my previous alternator, umiilaw yung battery indicator whenever i step on the gas kahit 1,500 rpm pa lang. when i got home, the reading i was getting with my vom was up to 16volts pag nirev ng konti. since it was already late, i was thinking to have it checked the following day. am sure the belt was not slipping.

the following day, the battery was drained! could not get a crank at all. only thing running when parked is the alarm and of course memory program of the stereo and clock. i had the battery recharge nag okay naman. did some errands and no problem.

the following day, na drain uli battery! recharge uli ako sa malapit na battery shop sa amin, nag start uli pero sabi sa akin kailangan na rin palitan yung battery.

hindi ko muna pinapalitan, inuna ko muna yung alternator.

last night i parked it with the negative battery cable disconnected. just to see kung talagang busted na battery and cant keep charge. this morning okay sya, hindi na drain.

i was thinking the busted alternator was somehow draining the battery. observe ko uli today, this time with the battery connected.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus700 View Post
    just a background.

last night i parked it with the negative battery cable disconnected. just to see kung talagang busted na battery and cant keep charge. this morning okay sya, hindi na drain.

i was thinking the busted alternator was somehow draining the battery. observe ko uli today, this time with the battery connected.
    check your cables for grounding problems and short circuits...

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus700 View Post
    just a background.

nung nag oovercharging with my previous alternator, umiilaw yung battery indicator whenever i step on the gas kahit 1,500 rpm pa lang. when i got home, the reading i was getting with my vom was up to 16volts pag nirev ng konti. since it was already late, i was thinking to have it checked the following day. am sure the belt was not slipping.

the following day, the battery was drained! could not get a crank at all. only thing running when parked is the alarm and of course memory program of the stereo and clock. i had the battery recharge nag okay naman. did some errands and no problem.

the following day, na drain uli battery! recharge uli ako sa malapit na battery shop sa amin, nag start uli pero sabi sa akin kailangan na rin palitan yung battery.

hindi ko muna pinapalitan, inuna ko muna yung alternator.

Check all your battery cable connector and battery terminal clean theme for better contact. Now, you can check your alternator if is working or not. Start your engine, set parking break, open your hood and disconnect your negative cable from the battery. If your car idling with cable off then alternator is fine. If your engine stalled just after you remove the neg.cable off the battery then you may need to replaced you charging sytem(alt).

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    question lang po.. i have this alternator 75amps built-in IC Regulator.. my ride is an oldschool boxtype.. the engine will crank and start but, it is using the battery power.. the problem is, the alternator will not engage unless ire-rev ko muna siya..

hindi naman siya sira.. maayos naman charging niya..

pano pong tweak or fix and pwedeng gawin sa alternator ko para upon start up is engaged na siya?

thanks!!!

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    okay na sya, it was really the alternator draining the battery. since replacing the alt, everything is fine, battery did not drain anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancie View Post
    question lang po.. i have this alternator 75amps built-in IC Regulator.. my ride is an oldschool boxtype.. the engine will crank and start but, it is using the battery power.. the problem is, the alternator will not engage unless ire-rev ko muna siya..

pano pong tweak or fix and pwedeng gawin sa alternator ko para upon start up is engaged na siya?

thanks!!!
    the battery is only used to crank the engine, once it starts the alternator takes over and supplies all electrical requirements of the car but how did you know bro that it is using the battery instead and not the alternator?

you mean to say the pulley is not rotating?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i dont think its advisable to pull out the positive or negative terminal of the battery while the engine is running.. theres a possibility you might fry the alternator.. pa check nalang sa technician with proper tools and equipment

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancie View Post

thanks!!!

check mo ang belt (a.k.a fan belt) baka maluwag lang o kaya kailangan ng palitan. hope this help...
    have a nice weekend and God bless you!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    pag mahina na ang battery at hindi niya kaya i crank ang makina, at
    walang mahiraman ng jumper cables at makapag-jump na ibang
    sasakyan. . . puwede ba yung 12V na adaptor sa bahay? yung DC
    multi-adaptor ata yun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Alternator and battery question