New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    My alternator is exhibiting signs of failure, meter reading shows it not fully charging the battery.

Mechanic said its just a normal wear & tear problem, he also advice to buy surplus alternator and not brand new replacement..

Tsikoteers, may I ask why surplus ang inadvice ng mechanic ??

Based on your experiences, brand new replacement ba bibilhin ko or surplus ????

Also, does a weak alternator slows the car's acceleration when the aircon is on ????

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    surplus=original but used. chanced are either from surplus japan or carnap local. expect it to be less than 5k.

replacement=a bit more expensive but made by non OEM manufacturer. probably reconditioned.

reconditioned=good parts from other alternators are cannibalized to make a "new" one.

original = brand new unit. depending on what car, expect it to be upwards of 15k.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    whats your ride?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Its is because surplus alternators have better components than replacement oem. Especially the copper wires used

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

the choice is yours.
    if you have the money and are willing to spend it, then just get the brand new one. no headaches.
    surplus is used, and goes with all the caveats of used products.
    why would the mechanic recommend surplus? maybe so's he has better chances of income from you?
    are the newer alternators built not as good as the older ones? i'll tell you after 10 more years.. 10 years old lang kasi yung akin, at hindi pa nasisira..

but before you buy, why not have your current alternator checked? maybe it's just a simple matter of replacing them carbon brushes.. cheap lang yan.
    what do i do? in the olden days, we have the misbehavin' alternator checked first at the alternator shop. wala pa naman kaming pinagawa na hindi tumino at nagamit nang maraming taon pa..
    Last edited by dr. d; May 16th, 2015 at 09:35 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Chambahan pag brand new replacement bibilhin mo. Yun sa akin, mind you, 3 months lang, sira na ang IC regulator niya.

Same thing with surplus OEM, pero less chance of encountering malfunction within 2-3 months.

Kung afford naman ang brand new OEM, then go for it dahil taon naman ang itatagal nun.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Yung sa akin pinalit ko surplus lang from Banawe. The good thing about buying from the same store everytime na meron ka papalitan na pyesa, they will consider you as their patron, thus, they will always give you the best materials they have.
    Last time na nagpalit ako it was three years ago, same with the tranny surplus na binili ko sa kanila na ok pa naman until now kahit binili ko siya 2 years ago.

The surplus shop knows best kaya suggestion ko lang, establish a connection with them para di ka bibigyan ng item na alam nilang temporary lang yung working condition.

Yung sa akin pinalit ko surplus lang from Banawe. The good thing about buying from the same store everytime na meron ka papalitan na pyesa, they will consider you as their patron, thus, they will always give you the best materials they have.
    Last time na nagpalit ako it was three years ago, same with the tranny surplus na binili ko sa kanila na ok pa naman until now kahit binili ko siya 2 years ago.

The surplus shop knows best kaya suggestion ko lang, establish a connection with them para di ka bibigyan ng item na alam nilang temporary lang yung working condition.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    TS, no brainer here. buy brand new class "A" quality but if you can afford OEM. laging tandaan sa huli ang pagsisisi... di pwede sabihin sa una ang pagsisisi...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    ilang years na ang life span ng alternator? When I sold my AE101 at 18 years it's alternator never had any problems naman.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    ilang years na ang life span ng alternator? When I sold my AE101 at 18 years it's alternator never had any problems naman.
    alternators out-living the engine is not rare. it's almost bullet-proof. it has only one moving part. and the other parts are replace-able as wear-and-tear..
    kaya ang dami-daming surplus alternators sa cathay centers.. perhaps second only to rims and lights..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Alternator ?????