New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hi all,

Basically, natingga sa bahay yung kotse for almost a year; sadly nadiskarga yung battery niya na <1yr old pa lang. Seems that i left the key in the ON postition all this time, so i thought that was what caused the discharging.

So i tried starting it up using jumper cables connected to another car. i did notice the battery was still charging up, up to 12.++V. The dash panel did light up, but the car still wouldn't start. i noticed the Corolla's battery voltage dropped to 10-11.2V. i tried using another spare battery, verified that it still charges up, same result.

To rule out the possibility of the battery going bad, i tried disconnecting the battery from the car, then direkta ko kinabit yung jumper cable to the terminals(hindi nakakabnit yung battery sa corolla) -- it still wouldn't start.

Me ground kaya talaga?
    Last edited by badkuk; July 24th, 2016 at 11:29 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Hi all,

Basically, natingga sa bahay yung kotse for almost a year; sadly nadiskarga yung battery niya na <1yr old pa lang. Seems that i left the key in the ON postition all this time, so i thought that was what caused the discharging.

So i tried starting it up using jumper cables connected to another car. i did notice the battery was still charging up, up to 12.++V. The dash panel did light up, but the car still wouldn't start. i noticed the Corolla's battery voltage dropped to 10-11.2V. i tried using another spare battery, verified that it still charges up, same result.

To rule out the possibility of the battery going bad, i tried disconnecting the battery from the car, then direkta ko kinabit yung jumper cable to the terminals(hindi nakakabnit yung battery sa corolla) -- it still wouldn't start.

Me ground kaya talaga?
    Depende yan sir sa response ng engine upon turning the key. Does it crank? Or some kind of click lang ba naririnig mo? Or nothing at all?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Hi all,

Me ground kaya talaga?
    1. does the engine crank? kung oo naman, ngunit hindi nabubuhay ang engine...
    carburator pa yan yata. baka natuyo na ang gasolina sa loob ng carburator. lagyan mo ng isang tansan worth of gasoline directly into the carb's throat (tanggalin ang air cleaner muna! wag munang ibalik hanggang naka-andar na makina).
    see if the high tension delivers. may spark ba? (i hope you know how..)
    2. engine does not turn? baka starter. either starter mismo or solenoid. to find out, do my old mechanic's diagnostic test. put in a good strong battery and push-start the car.

puede rin kasi, na both of the above. heh heh.

good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 24th, 2016 at 01:50 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    1. does the engine crank? kung oo naman, ngunit hindi nabubuhay ang engine...
    carburator pa yan yata. baka natuyo na ang gasolina sa loob ng carburator. lagyan mo ng isang tansan worth of gasoline directly into the carb's throat (tanggalin ang air cleaner muna! wag munang ibalik hanggang naka-andar na makina).
    see if the high tension delivers. may spark ba? (i hope you know how..)
    2. engine does not turn? baka starter. either starter mismo or solenoid. to find out, do my old mechanic's diagnostic test. put in a good strong battery and push-start the car.

puede rin kasi, na both of the above. heh heh.

good luck.

Nagki click naman siya, but the sound it makes afterwards seems to suggest it's trying to turn the engine, but can't.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    try mo nalang tanggalin ung dating battery tapos ilagay mo ung batt na galing sa ibang car iba din kasi ang voltage current kapag naka salpak mismo dun sa kabitan ng battery mas malakas at buo ang amperahe kumpara sa naka jumper cable

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try first a good battery mounted straight?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Ok will do that sir.

Pwede pa kaya maisalba yung lumang battery ko? It's a Champion , but the problem is that it's been discharged for nearly a year na. When i tested it last week, kumakarga pa naman siya when i hooked it up to a running car, up to 12.++ volts.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    mag search ka sa youtube ng how to determine grounded using multimeter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    All electrical circuits must be grounded. Some permanently some with virtual ground. The virtual ground has voltage against the permanent ground as in virtual ground for high voltage circuits in hybrid and electric vehicles. Even airplanes when it returns to earth must be grounded to dissipate static electricity it has accumulated when it was in flight before passengers and crew disembark or before aircraft maintainers touch the plane. The grounded circuit in question is probably from a circuit system that has the switch on the ground side which in this case automotive negative ground. This problem does not blow a fuse but leaves the circuit load powered up unintentionally without being noticed. All electrical circuits must be grounded for safety, for reliability of signals of sensors, for electromagnetic interference (EMI), for radio frequency interference (RFI) and for cancellation of unwanted static electricity

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Ang ginawa ko ngayon, i disconnected the working battery(Motolite Gold, just weeks old) from my brother's car, then connected it via jumper cables(typical length, hindi naman extra long)to the terminals of the Corolla. i verified that the battery had a resting voltage of 12.46V; i measured it again at the opposite end of the cables, verified 12.46V din.

The dash does light up, but when i try to start it, i hear the starter motor trying to turn the engine, but can't.

i measured the resting voltage of the battery again, still at 12.46V.

i measured the resistance across the +/- terminals of the Corolla, 0 ohms. Me short nga ba?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast