New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    I"m currently restoring a Grande and a 69 Coupe. The Coupe im restoring has the 6cylinder engine but my Grande doesn't have an engine yet. In his VIN the engine must be a 351 engine. Can anyone help me find one? thanks!

Looking at some magazines and surfing the net, I found another coupe being sold for 150k but with a Toyota engine. Do you think this is a good buy? please help me on this too. Another is a Mustang Mach1, I don't know if its running but what I know is that it has its original engine. It needs a little bit of restoration, it sells for 350neg, is this price reasonable enough?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hi, you will find more muscle car enthusiasts here

http://musclecarsph.1.forumer.com/

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hi, you will find more muscle car enthusiasts here

http://musclecarsph.1.forumer.com/

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    As number001 said, visit the MusclecarsPH site for more detailed advice.

But, to answer your question:

There are still a bunch of old Ford engines available and thankfully the 351W (along with the 302) are the easiest to find. The prices have gone up a lot in the past few years though. And the engines are usually sold with a transmission which in the 351W's case is usually a C6 since the usual donor vehicles are vans and trucks. Unfortunately, the 351W/C6 combination is NOT an original Mustang combination. The C6 was only used for big-block engines in the case of the Mustang.

It's hard to say whether a car is worth its price or not. The biggest cost (both time & money) in restoring one is typically body work. Is there any rust?? Are the trim pieces complete?

For the 150k car, you'll need to find an engine & tranny, engine crossmember, engine mount, transmission crossmember, rear axle, etc. so you'll need to figure that into your cost.

For the Mach 1, find out the reason why the engine isn't running. Is it just a matter of getting new spark plugs & changing fluids?? Or does it need a rebuild??

Also be aware that Ford's engines were used for several years and in different cars, not just the Mustang. For instance, the 351W was only used in the Mustang for one year (1969) but was used in other cars Galaxies, E-series vans, F-series pickups, etc.) into the 80s. These engines were made to different specifications depending on year and vehicle. Some were high-compression, high-power engines (290hp as in the Mustang) while some were low-compression engines (~140hp as in the 74-block cars). So while the Mach 1 may have the original type of engine, you really have to check the engine casting codes and the cylinder head casting codes to say whether it's the "original" engine.

Mustang Muscle Cars