New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    unless pushed to the wall, or that car is a highly-prized collectible, no one without sentimental value in his veins, will restore any car.

and yes, sentimental value is utterly valueless in the second hand car market.
    to those who are thinking of selling their sentimental value cars, i say, "sell it now, while it still has some value left".
    but there are exceptions... "this caddy was driven by elvis himself! this here's a picture of elvis with the car.."
    Last edited by dr. d; August 31st, 2016 at 02:03 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    kung car collector lover ka.maibabalik mo sa dati yan.pero para kana din bumili ng bagong sasakyan.baka higit pa.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post
    kung car collector lover ka.maibabalik mo sa dati yan.pero para kana din bumili ng bagong sasakyan.baka higit pa.
    mas mahal pa yata sa brand new car i-maintain if you want to keep in in its original shape, and keep the original parts...
    first of all di pa yata uso ang rust-proofing noon and lots of vintage cars are handmade (like the vw karmann ghia) thats why they rust easily and are quite fragile... kung di mo alagaan para di mangalawang malaki gagastusin mo. and not a lot of people know how to do the body work correctly, kung mali pagkagawa bawas sa value yan...

second, kung mabasag ang windshield/bintana mo. ay naku good luck. wala naman yata ganyan sa third party na window maker (e.g. aguila glass) kung meron man bawas din sa value!

preserving a vintage car is also about preserving its value, IMO an all stock all original vintage car is much better to look at than a "souped up" "riced out" one...

and dun din makikita ng tao ang skill mo in restoring a car sa mga vintage car show, your determination to find the original wheels, panels, side mirrors, kahit manibela!
    the beautiful outcome of a vintage car will pay off the cash youve spent on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    and yes, sentimental value is utterly valueless in the second hand car market.
    to those who are thinking of selling their sentimental value cars, i say, "sell it now, while it still has some value left"
    i agree with you, there was this one time i saw an ad on olx, a mitsubishi lancer 1983 "boxtype". 2 of the doors are obviously not the original ones as the color is different, it hasnt been registered in years, many small bits and pieces missing, headliner no more... and its the 4 speed manual type.

and you would be guessing that a unit in that condition would only be less than 30k... but no! not at all, its priced more expensive than a 1995 nissan sentra! "non negotiable, sacrifice sale. this car has sentimental value to us, blah blah" i wanted to tell them, why didnt you sell it nun mas maganda pa yung condition nya para kahit more than 20 nyo mabenta. but that would have been too rude of me!
    p.s. i wouldnt even trade my phone for it. heck i wont even trade my old nokia phone for it! [emoji39]

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Depende sa kotse I mean kung vintage talaga. Thats the first thing you have to know. But run of the mills lang na old car never mind. Waste of time and money.
    You will just spend on it if you really intend to use and enjoy the car on your own and don't care about the resale value if you sell. There's an LC80 up for sale and it is indeed well-restored. The owner is selling for PHP 1.9M and yet that doesn't make him recover the costs he shelled out for vehicle + repairs and restoration.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    You will just spend on it if you really intend to use and enjoy the car on your own and don't care about the resale value if you sell. There's an LC80 up for sale and it is indeed well-restored. The owner is selling for PHP 1.9M and yet that doesn't make him recover the costs he shelled out for vehicle + repairs and restoration.
    well, they say "owning a car is just a losing investment." and thats true...

thats why its pointless to install unnecessary components in a vintage car. better yet, a car in general. if you soup up your car be it tasteful modifications or not, talo ka in the end when you sell it.

take for example the hondas out there for sale na fully setup, change engine, etc. etc. modifications like those will not benefit you or your cars value in any way, it might even benefit the buyer in fact, because he could sell the components you have installed and possibly even recover what he has spent buying the car!

and the consensus is, if you want a car that looks good and goes fast you will do it yourself (and it would cost you about the same price of a car thats already modified, if not cheaper). built not bought.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Unless you're *minicarph na gagawa ng garage pang display ng mga 90's vehicles niya para show off daw sa mga friends niya tapos idol pa niya si ericthecarguy ng YouTube. [emoji51]

Hoy hinde ah. Mga SUVs lang ang garage showcase. No sedans, pickups, vans or others.

At saka yun garage ko parang Japanese House na may mga swords sa dingding

And excuse me, erickthecarguy looks so jologs. Si Chrisfix with his collection of ratchets and wrenches ang dream ko

8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy101 View Post
    mas mahal pa yata sa brand new car i-maintain if you want to keep in in its original shape, and keep the original parts...
    first of all di pa yata uso ang rust-proofing noon and lots of vintage cars are handmade (like the vw karmann ghia) thats why they rust easily and are quite fragile... kung di mo alagaan para di mangalawang malaki gagastusin mo. and not a lot of people know how to do the body work correctly, kung mali pagkagawa bawas sa value yan...

second, kung mabasag ang windshield/bintana mo. ay naku good luck. wala naman yata ganyan sa third party na window maker (e.g. aguila glass) kung meron man bawas din sa value!

preserving a vintage car is also about preserving its value, IMO an all stock all original vintage car is much better to look at than a "souped up" "riced out" one...

and dun din makikita ng tao ang skill mo in restoring a car sa mga vintage car show, your determination to find the original wheels, panels, side mirrors, kahit manibela!
    the beautiful outcome of a vintage car will pay off the cash youve spent on it!

tama may kapitbahay kasi ako na mahilig kumulekta ng mga vintage car.palagi niyang sinasali sa show.ung mga modelong sasakyan niya nasa bilad open parking .pero ung mga vintage collection niya.abay naka balot at nasa loob ng isang gym,

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If one is mechanically inclined, then half of the job is done on classic car restoring.

Most fun to work with for me are classic German rust buckets with lots of character.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    im biased, but a good car to start for a newbie car collector/restorer would be a classic vw beetle. the unit itself is easy to find and cheap, parts are still easy to find kahit medyo nababawasan na, the car itself is very simple and easy to fix, it just keeps running no matter what...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Car Restoration