New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Lots of people have this idea that Chinese factories use quality control standards that are below par.

That may have been true in the last decade but not so today. Practically the entire assembly line in MG's chassis plant in Shanghai is automated (yup, robots).

And currently, all MG products have a panel gap of less than 5 millimeters. What's the significance of that? This can only be achieved with a very high level of quality control, like Six Sigma levels. Or in car terms, Lexus levels.
    Sir, which Chinese vehicles are popular in the US mArket and beating the crap out of Lexus today?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    Sir, which Chinese vehicles are popular in the US mArket and beating the crap out of Lexus today?
    Are you implying that vehicle sales in a homogenous market like the US is synonymous to quality?

Will the case be the same even if there is a trade war?

Are you also implying that you have to outsell Lexus just to prove your cars are of good quality?

Sent using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Are you implying that vehicle sales in a homogenous market like the US is synonymous to quality?

Will the case be the same even if there is a trade war?

Are you also implying that you have to outsell Lexus just to prove your cars are of good quality?

Sent using Tapatalk
    Just wondering, sir, why Chinese brands with "Lexus-level quality" haven't even made their debut in the American market for like, what, since 2008? That's more than a decade ago and counting. What's keeping them if their quality is that good? Unless these "Lexus-level quality" are an exaggeration and fairy tale marketing, then I'd understand. But if they're real-- what's keeping them at bay?

By the way, I did not mean they have to beat Lexus literally at the sales game, but with "Lexus-level quality", Americans will most likely come in droves and line up to buy them, no?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Just wondering, sir, why Chinese brands with "Lexus-level quality" haven't even made their debut in the American market for like, what, since 2008? That's more than a decade ago and counting. What's keeping them if their quality is that good? Unless these "Lexus-level quality" are an exaggeration and fairy tale marketing, then I'd understand. But if they're real-- what's keeping them at bay?

By the way, I did not mean they have to beat Lexus literally at the sales game, but with "Lexus-level quality", Americans will most likely come in droves and line up to buy them, no?
    i am guessing,
    american standards and requirements re. automobile build quality and performance, are "high".

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015

Why? Plagiarism isn't taken lightly out West.[emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Lots of people have this idea that Chinese factories use quality control standards that are below par.

That may have been true in the last decade but not so today. Practically the entire assembly line in MG's chassis plant in Shanghai is automated (yup, robots).

And currently, all MG products have a panel gap of less than 5 millimeters. What's the significance of that? This can only be achieved with a very high level of quality control, like Six Sigma levels. Or in car terms, Lexus levels.
    There have been articles touting such about the MG and I applaud them for that. But that is not the end all, be all of the car. We, as a market for MG, have no idea what it is actually like to own this vehicle and the brand itself and how it is handled by the dealer.

As with the case with Kia and Hyundai, the ownership of those 2 korean brands are not the same when you compare owning them here in the Philippines vs US/EU, would you agree? They also have better warranties when it comes to EU and US market, 7 year warranty or 160k miles (or was it kilometers) if I'm not mistaken.

Even if you can produce a good amount of spare parts in the factory, it is dependent upon the dealer to order/stock them. If you don't have them (yet) locally available thru the dealer, you may try to source them via third party shops here or online (if you can find them).

I am not saying it is impossible for MG to succeed, just that it is part of the actual ownership of the vehicle, of any brand for that matter.

Like right now, I own and maintain a Sylphy. I've tried 2 shops/talyer outside of Nissan, and even tried looking for OEM equivalents to the suspension. There is none, only Nissan Suspension can be ordered (which have the price premium on it). They will really still have to order it thru Nissan Philippines, but at least it is available. But there is no OEM option for the vehicle. I expected it to be the case when it was just a 3 year old model, I didn't expect it to persist even now when the model is already 6 years in our market (I think it is 6, maybe 7).

So that's part of what is also considered by possible customers, the ease of maintainance and/or availability to source parts.

Right now, it looks like MG does have sales, way better than BYD as I actually haven't seen BYD in the Metro Roads. Geely is being "relaunched" by a different dealer, and Ssyangyong was also relaunched for our market. So the question is the parts support while they have dealers, and what happens when those dealers suddenly decide to pull out of the market like what happened to the likes to Chery, Geely, Ssyangyong, etc.

For me, that is a big consideration. It may start at a low price to acquire (initial cost) but how is it to own it? That's what we are all curious about. No one cares about the 5mm gap when you can't actually keep the car running because parts aren't available. It will change from a cheap good looking car to a pretty expensive chunk of metal if it can't run anymore.

I like the design, it has caught my eye. And we are waiting for feedback from people who have actually owned it, maintained it for more than just the first 2 PMS (1k and 5k). How was the parts replacement process if you were say caught in a fender bender?

We'd all like to know about them.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Mga pinoy.
    Uy, morris garage. Galing europe daw. Sounds like eh. Tapos ganda design.
    Eh pag ang pangalan ng sasakyan mo geely, great wall, chery, etc. Isipin kaagad, ai china galing. Pangit yan.

Mga pinoy, may colonial mentality parin sa totoo lang.

Kaya tingin ko MG is here to stay. As long as TCCI doesnt screw them over.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    There have been articles touting such about the MG and I applaud them for that. But that is not the end all, be all of the car. We, as a market for MG, have no idea what it is actually like to own this vehicle and the brand itself and how it is handled by the dealer.

As with the case with Kia and Hyundai, the ownership of those 2 korean brands are not the same when you compare owning them here in the Philippines vs US/EU, would you agree? They also have better warranties when it comes to EU and US market, 7 year warranty or 160k miles (or was it kilometers) if I'm not mistaken.

Even if you can produce a good amount of spare parts in the factory, it is dependent upon the dealer to order/stock them. If you don't have them (yet) locally available thru the dealer, you may try to source them via third party shops here or online (if you can find them).

I am not saying it is impossible for MG to succeed, just that it is part of the actual ownership of the vehicle, of any brand for that matter.

Like right now, I own and maintain a Sylphy. I've tried 2 shops/talyer outside of Nissan, and even tried looking for OEM equivalents to the suspension. There is none, only Nissan Suspension can be ordered (which have the price premium on it). They will really still have to order it thru Nissan Philippines, but at least it is available. But there is no OEM option for the vehicle. I expected it to be the case when it was just a 3 year old model, I didn't expect it to persist even now when the model is already 6 years in our market (I think it is 6, maybe 7).

So that's part of what is also considered by possible customers, the ease of maintainance and/or availability to source parts.

Right now, it looks like MG does have sales, way better than BYD as I actually haven't seen BYD in the Metro Roads. Geely is being "relaunched" by a different dealer, and Ssyangyong was also relaunched for our market. So the question is the parts support while they have dealers, and what happens when those dealers suddenly decide to pull out of the market like what happened to the likes to Chery, Geely, Ssyangyong, etc.

For me, that is a big consideration. It may start at a low price to acquire (initial cost) but how is it to own it? That's what we are all curious about. No one cares about the 5mm gap when you can't actually keep the car running because parts aren't available. It will change from a cheap good looking car to a pretty expensive chunk of metal if it can't run anymore.

I like the design, it has caught my eye. And we are waiting for feedback from people who have actually owned it, maintained it for more than just the first 2 PMS (1k and 5k). How was the parts replacement process if you were say caught in a fender bender?

We'd all like to know about them.
    Agree...& we'll have to wait for time's tale.[emoji897]

9. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Why? Plagiarism isn't taken lightly out West.[emoji13]

🤣 ohhhhh!!!![emoji23]

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010

You can say the same thing about many other marques all over that are hardly making a blip in the US, or downright failed.

By the way, the Lexus level was an analogy, in case the reader was unaware of what defects at a six sigma level meant.

Fact is, everyone is quick to jump into the it's-china-so-it-sucks bandwagon regardless whether it is based on actual experience or not.

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
MG (Morris Garages) - anyone here who owns one?