New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MG HS

MG Philippines to reportedly launch the HS crossover in the second quarter of this year | Autodeal

Speculations put that the MG HS will come to the Philippine market with a 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder motor. It will reportedly make 169 hp and 250 Nm of torque and it will send power to the front wheels via a seven-speed wet-type dual-clutch automatic transmission. If these figures seem familiar this is because it is the same power plant that is found in the MG RX5.

As the MG RX5 and the HS share the same platform, it will likely handle the same, albeit, the HS has a bigger body and comes with a more premium execution which could indicate a possible higher price tag.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Since they will bring the "HS" which is the real "MG" compact SUV, I wonder if it will replace its RX5 sister model (a rebadged Roewe)?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    First 200 buyers of MG HS will get P100,000 discount | Visor

HS Trophy – P1,208,888
    HS Alpha – P1,158,888

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Since they will bring the "HS" which is the real "MG" compact SUV, I wonder if it will replace its RX5 sister model (a rebadged Roewe)?
    i think so since same segment sila. not sure lang who it's competing with. 5-seater CRV, RAV4 and Azkarra?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    i think so since same segment sila. not sure lang who it's competing with. 5-seater CRV, RAV4 and Azkarra?
    In the Philippines, the MG HS and the similar MG (Roewe) RX5 compete directly with other (lower-priced) 2-row compact SUVs like the Ford Territory, GAC GS4, and Chery Tiggo 7 Pro. The standard non-mild hybrid Azkarra would have been a competitor too but this variant was dropped from the local lineup, Geely now only sells the much more expensive AWD 48-volt mild hybrid variant of the Azkarra.

One of its indirect competitors would be the in-between sized Corolla Cross.
    Last edited by AG4; March 17th, 2022 at 01:57 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    2022 MG HS SUV

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Just got back from a quick trip to the MG dealership near my office.

I was thoroughly impressed by the MG HS. It's the size of a CX-5 and just as premium inside (I noticed design cues from the Merc B-class -- no joke). The salesguy wasn't as knowledgeable with the product, sadly, but I do hear it's got 169hp and 250Nm which should work great with its paddle shifters (7-speed DCT).

Size, great interior, 5-star rating by Euro NCAP, plus a lot of driving aids (again, salesguy was no help), makes this a great value at about 1.2M. Couldn't cop a test drive, unfortunately, but from the bits and pieces I've seen online from the Aussies and Brits, it seems to be a decent drive (probably not as good as the Coolray or the CX-5).

It looks like the MG HS will probably be another best-seller, for sure.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I wonder if the facelifted version will reach our shores.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I wonder if the facelifted version will reach our shores.

Finally it no longer looks like a Mazda.