New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Tell that to BMW, Mini, Honda, Peugeot, Volvo, and Ford to stop using 3-cylinder turbo engines. Hehehehe

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/these-...-ar183861.html

Question is "Have you owned a vehicle with a 3-cylinder turbo engine?" If not, stop telling others that the engine is more stressed than a 4-cylinder one. I have owned one before and for the time I owned it I never felt that the engine was stressed. It was even smaller in displacement.

Another question, "How hard do you push your car to its limit? Do you drive it usually at redline? If you drive like most people who are usually scared to push engines past 4k rpm, I guess you will never know how stressed the engine is.
    Turbocharged engines operates on higher compression ratio than an identical naturally aspirated one, that's a fact no matter if you believe on it or not, that in itself comprises more stress on each of the cylinders. The problem with these 3 cylinder implementations were that they're mostly implemented for lower-end cars (not implying that Geely is a low-end car, just to be clear), mostly for cutting-cost during production and that's what I'm more concerned about. Budget-minded production + turbo would lead to more problems to be dealt with by the consumer in the future. I'm am not dissuading anyone away from Geely Coolray but I can attest that Ford engines are much better because their 3-cyl Ecoboost uses timing chain instead of just a timing-belt which this coolray sold in PH has. I owned a Ford Escape myself and I am the one maintaining my own car, I'm just starting to search buying for a new one that's why I'm doing my own research for possible options. Before you make any power and torque-related statements with regards to 3-cylinder turbos, make sure to include at which RPM they're rated, leaving that essential part is just plain mistake most people do when comparing power and torque.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    As mentioned, have you driven any of these new cars with a 3-cylinder turbo engine? The Fiesta Ecoboost is powered by a 1.0L 3-cylinder engine that packs more power and torque (125hp/170Nm) than any of the 1.5L 4-cylinder NA engines available on the market. The Fiesta is even heavier than the Jazz (120HP/155Nm) but it can outpace the Jazz on a sprint.

Mini Coopers are now powered by 3-cylinder 1.5L turbo engines. Nobody complains of such cars lacking in power.

The Coolray and the XC40 base model uses the same 3-cylinder 1.5L turbo engine rated at 175HP/255Nm. The power output is even more than some of the base PPVs on the market which pushes platforms almost twice the weight of the Coolray. Who's complaining when most people driving a Vios has to contend with just 100hp at peak rpm or maybe those with an Altis with not even same output as the Fiesta Ecoboost.
    Do you own a coolray or xc40?

Nobody is complaining with their vioses.. coz that T badge is reliable...

I never said a 3 cylinder engine is slow or lacking in power.. but a 4 cylinder with turbo is still better to have than a 3 cylinder engine

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Time will tell siguro kung pangit nga talaga timing belt compared to timing chain, maintenance wise.

Ung point ni carboye, parang tatay ko lang: iniisip kaagad na masisira or kung paano masisira ung part, ni hindi pa naman binibili ung car hehe

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Time will tell siguro kung pangit nga talaga timing belt compared to timing chain, maintenance wise.

Ung point ni carboye, parang tatay ko lang: iniisip kaagad na masisira or kung paano masisira ung part, ni hindi pa naman binibili ung car hehe
    timing belts are scheduled for replacement at 100-140K km, before they brake. medyo masakit sa bulsa, but it has to be done. so, there.
    timing chains are replaced only when something is wrong with them. many will last the life of the car.
    i have/had both.
    noise? the quietest engine i had, a sentra, had a timing chain.

people will learn to anticipate, based on their experience.
    we can only roll with their punches.

sabi nga ng iba,
    "some folks buy a car for what it offers in the showroom. other folks buy a car, for what it promises, years down the road of ownership."

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carboye View Post
    Turbocharged engines operates on higher compression ratio than an identical naturally aspirated one, that's a fact no matter if you believe on it or not, that in itself comprises more stress on each of the cylinders. The problem with these 3 cylinder implementations were that they're mostly implemented for lower-end cars (not implying that Geely is a low-end car, just to be clear), mostly for cutting-cost during production and that's what I'm more concerned about. Budget-minded production + turbo would lead to more problems to be dealt with by the consumer in the future. I'm am not dissuading anyone away from Geely Coolray but I can attest that Ford engines are much better because their 3-cyl Ecoboost uses timing chain instead of just a timing-belt which this coolray sold in PH has. I owned a Ford Escape myself and I am the one maintaining my own car, I'm just starting to search buying for a new one that's why I'm doing my own research for possible options. Before you make any power and torque-related statements with regards to 3-cylinder turbos, make sure to include at which RPM they're rated, leaving that essential part is just plain mistake most people do when comparing power and torque.
    Most turbo engines reach peak torque output right after turbo spool. In the case of the Fiesta Ecoboost, it is before 2k rpm when you feel the peak torque kick in (when the engine is properly warmed up), about the same as the Coolray. I guess that is common for turbo 3-cylinders which are of European design.

In my experience with turbo 4-cylinders (my FXT and my brother-in-law's Civic RS), peak torque kicks in just before 2500 rpm. The Mazda6 2.5L SkyActivG turbo also feels the same.

That's the best part of turbo gas engines. Once the turbo spools, peak torque becomes readily available on a flat band up to the rpm when you hit peak output (between 5500 to 6k rpm). Unlike most NA 4-cylinder engines where torque is on a linear scale from idle up to the usual peak torque rpm at 4000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Do you own a coolray or xc40?

Nobody is complaining with their vioses.. coz that T badge is reliable...

I never said a 3 cylinder engine is slow or lacking in power.. but a 4 cylinder with turbo is still better to have than a 3 cylinder engine
    I don't have a Coolray nor an XC40 but one of my staff let me test drive his Coolray after he bought it. I would say I was impressed as it was a lot better than an Ecosport or HRV, even better than my ASX with a 2.0L 4-cylinder NA engine (150hp/197Nm). My ASX feels lacking in oomph against the performance of the Coolray.

As mentioned above, I have a Forester XT with a 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo engine. It is better than the Coolray in terms of performance. It also has a bigger interior space and bigger trunk but it costs much more than the Coolray.

You can't blame people for being pessimistic.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 4th, 2020 at 02:22 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    You can't blame people for being pessimistic.
    ....But when right, it can be termed wisdom or foresight. Let's wait what the hindsight will be on this 1. As spec'd, it's lookin' bang4buck, but it may not be 1 to keep longterm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Hopefully someone would not hinge his whole decision on a replaceable part hehe so lets see. Ilan years nga pala warranty ng coolray? Is it 3 or 5 years?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Buying a car carries a lot of risk. It is up to you how to gauge those risks and accept them. Even a reliable Toyota carries some risk as you may find yourself buying a lemon and our local laws does not have so much regulations on such.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    Hopefully someone would not hinge his whole decision on a replaceable part hehe so lets see. Ilan years nga pala warranty ng coolray? Is it 3 or 5 years?
    5 year warranty...

Si Chery naman ang (drumroll)

10 year warranty sa alam ko. =)

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    5 year warranty...

Si Chery naman ang (drumroll)

10 year warranty sa alam ko. =)
    Hope Chery can stay unpopped that long.Geely Cars

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Geely Cars