New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sir AG4, you seem to be well informed about GM. Are you connected with them by any chance?

If the rebadged ones costs 30K++ to 60K++ for a major tune-up and 5-8K for a regular tune-up, how much more would the real ones cost?
    Wow! ang mahal na pala ng service sa casa! Di ko alam kasi di nako nagservice sa casa. Most expensive service ko was 13+K. Items done: change oil, change ATF inc filter and gasket, new coolant sensor, fuel filter and rad cap. All original parts.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Wow, I didn't realize that maintenance for these re-badged Chevys would be so high! And to think, I was considering the Chevy Optra wagon!! After hearing this, the Chevy Optra does not have a chance in h_ll.... hehehe. Peace to all Chevy Optra owners.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Considering that GM is almost always on the verge of a financial meltdown every month, they still could not afford to put up another plant in Asia let alone in the Philippines. GM's reputation here in pinas seems to be on the lower spectrum due to their rebadged Daewoos. If only they could share to us their cool rides (camaro, corvette, etc. ).

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Sir AG4, you seem to be well informed about GM. Are you connected with them by any chance?
    I'm not connected with GM, I just think that the "Chevrolet" brand is treated unfairly in the local boards, so I did a little research (something people don't do that often nowadays).

I actually prepared a chart because people always ask "is that just a rebadged Daewoo?"
    Before anything else, Daewoo is the domestic brand of GM in Korea, aside from the Cadillac and Saab luxury brands, all GM models in Korea are badged as Daewoos, even the Saturn Sky and Holden Statesman are badged as Daewoos.

GMDAT Chevrolet models that started development before Daewoo became part of GM, but were updated under the new GMDAT company:
    Chevrolet Spark
    Chevrolet Aveo hatchback aka Aveo5
    Chevrolet Aveo sedan (ASEAN version by GM Thailand)
    Chevrolet Optra (ASEAN version by GM Thailand)
    Chevrolet Epica

GMDAT Chevrolet models built on GM global platforms:
    new 2007/08 Chevrolet Captiva (ASEAN version by GM Thailand)
    future models:
    Optra/Cobalt replacment (GM Delta platform)

For 2008, the only GMDAT Chevy that impressed me was the Captiva SUV.
    I'll give them a chance and wait for the upcoming global Chevy models, before I give my final judgement.

I hope they bring in the upcoming Chevy Traverse Crossover, now that the Trailblazer EXT has been discontinued.
    Last edited by AG4; February 26th, 2008 at 10:09 AM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Considering that GM is almost always on the verge of a financial meltdown every month, they still could not afford to put up another plant in Asia let alone in the Philippines. GM's reputation here in pinas seems to be on the lower spectrum due to their rebadged Daewoos. If only they could share to us their cool rides (camaro, corvette, etc. ).
    Actually, the mass of the people here don't really know it's rebadged. When you ask someone and say it's Daewoo, they'd even refuse to accept it. Daewoo had a bad reputation here before, and GM rebadging its lineup to Chevrolet have done wonders on its restart of share in the market.

The Optra's quite successfully, well, as per the pre-facelifted one, with all the red tags and amenities included at the low price. People are really encouraged to buy... not until they are informed.

An example would be when I was waiting for my car then to finish being tuned-up, a couple was planning to buy an Optra wagon. They saw me looking at my car, and seeing its an Optra, they approached me and asked. I was very objective about it, I said performance is good, amenities are good, but... maintenance costs isn't. After they heard my story in finding parts (that the dealership can't even give you without waiting for 2 months), they just left.

But people are becoming more and more aware I think. I mean, look at the facelifted version of the Optra, have you seen plenty in the road? I've only seen one or two since its debut. Marami na sigurong nadala. An office mate of mine had the worst experience though. Bought a '04 Trailblaizer and sold it in '07 for just 350K because of cost of maintenance. Wala talagang pumatol na mas mataas ang presyo.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Danda naman ng trailblazer, we were able to finance a trailblazer (which was for a foreigner), which until now he likes (legroom, power, etc. . . ). Kaso CASA service and parts lang daw ang problema. Mura naman masyado ang benta ng officemate mo sir.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    GM rebadging its lineup to Chevrolet have done wonders on its restart of share in the market.
    When GM saved Daewoo from bankruptcy, Daewoo Motors had projects that were put on hold or were about to be shelved.
    This was the new Kalos (Aveo) and Lacetti (Optra).
    What GM did was use GMDAT to enter the Asian market, and later the european market.
    With GM's help, the Aveo and Optra were put into production. First thing they did was get rid of the Daewoo badge for the export markets. Later on the Aveo sedan and Epica were given full-reskins and equipment upgrades.

For a while the Optra was sold in the USA as a Suzuki Forenza, this actually outsold the "real" Suzuki Aerio in their US lineup and helped boost Suzuki's US sales.
    When GM sold most of its stakes in Suzuki, these models were dropped from the Suzuki lineup.

These GMDAT models are transitional models, these are stop gap models or temporary models until GM develops their new global platforms.

These were GM's instant Chevy models that were tailored for the asian and european markets.
    The USDM models like the Cobalt and Malibu were designed specifically for the North American market.

GM's next step is to integrate GMDAT models into GM's global family, this means getting rid of redundant platforms and merging similar sized cars into a common global platform.
    The very first GMDAT model to be built on a real GM global platform is the Captiva SUV, the next model expected is the Optra/USDM Cobalt replacment.

The Chevrolet brand does not exist in Korea, so future Chevrolet models to be built in Korea by GMDAT or sold in Korea will be badged as a Daewoo.
    Last edited by AG4; February 26th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Why won't the local Chevrolet (General Motors) bring in the Cobalt (compact sedan) to compete with the Civic and Corolla, as well as, bring in the Malibu (mid size sedan) to compete with the Accord and Camry instead of those Korean cars rebadged like the Optra.
    one answer comes into mind..
    because of Chevy's tie-up with Daewoo, it may be agreed by both parties that for models that are released within the SEA or APAC area should carry only the bade of Chevy, but the specs should be on the Daewoo model.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    They replaced it with an even stronger 260hp turbocharged engine for 2008.
    Ok. Specs are almost tit for tat compared to a MazdaSpeed 3..... Sweet Well. Minus LSD of course.
    From Jalopniks:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    one answer comes into mind..
    because of Chevy's tie-up with Daewoo, it may be agreed by both parties that for models that are released within the SEA or APAC area should carry only the bade of Chevy, but the specs should be on the Daewoo model.
    The new Daewoo models were already in their later stages of development when GM took over Daewoo in 2002.
    It would have been too expensive to re-tool the GMDAT plant for the USDM Cobalt which at the time was still being developed. I guess it was more logical to rebadge models that were already set for production.

Currently GM and GMDAT are developing new generation global GM models that will be badged as Chevrolets for the global markets and as Daewoos for Korea.
    Technically the upcoming models are no longer "rebadged" Daewoo models.

Daewoo is now a subsidiary of General Motors.
    GMDAT is the production base for GM's small cars in Asia and in Europe.
    Last edited by AG4; February 26th, 2008 at 07:14 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Why won't local Chevy bring in real Chevy cars?