New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Hi fellow Optra owners,

Just have a couple of questions on our automatic transmission

1. Ok lang ba (while going down hill) to shift from D to 2 to do engine breaking?

2. Talaga bang maluwang yung gear stick while in neutral or D? i.e. the stick can freely move left and right kahit konting pitik lang sa stick

3. Minsan mahirap magchange from P to R. Normal lang ba ito?

Appreciate any advise/tips guys

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mastertsip View Post
    Hi fellow Optra owners,

1. Ok lang ba (while going down hill) to shift from D to 2 to do engine breaking?

2. Talaga bang maluwang yung gear stick while in neutral or D? i.e. the stick can freely move left and right kahit konting pitik lang sa stick

Thanks in advance
    1. shifting from D to 2 while going downhill is advisable. I usually do this if the incline is quite steep. This will save your brake pads.

2. I don't think it's normal. At least mine's not acting that way. Have it checked.

3. It's not normal also. It should be easy to shift from P to R.

Since your concerns #2 and #3 are about the gear stick, it is highly advisable to have it checked asap.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i dont have an optra, but sometimes when automatics are parked on inclines, the transmission helps in keeping the car stationary - yung wheel locking kung nasa P ang lever. and medyo may resistance when you remove it from P.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    bro, yung Optra ko ganyan na din. maybe dahil 5 years old na and palagi ako nag shift to "N" pag nasa stop lights or temporary na naka stop.
    yung pag shift from P-R, sa akin madali lang naman. maybe pa tingnan mo na sa casa yan bro

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    thanks guys for the suggestions. will take it to casa next week. hopefully covered under warranty

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Try also to check your ATF fluid level might be low. How long have you change atf Transmission fluid might need to change . New Atf fluid help a lot in Shifting.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mastertsip View Post
    Hi fellow Optra owners,

Thanks in advance
    My optra is 43 months old now.

Point 1. I think this is ok. This is how you engine brake with an A/T.

Points 2&3. So far mine doesn't behave this way. It would be a good idea to have it checked for peace of mind.

About parking, my ritual is always:

1) When car is already at full stop - step on the brake.
    2) Pull the hand brake.
    3) Release the pedal brake. (On inclines, the car moves slightly as it adjusts from the pedal brake to the hand brake).
    4) Step on the brake again.
    5) Shift to "Park".
    6) Release the (pedal) brake.
    Only after this do I switch the engine off.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but imho, this is a common sensical way of properly maintaining your A/T.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post
    i dont have an optra, but sometimes when automatics are parked on inclines, the transmission helps in keeping the car stationary - yung wheel locking kung nasa P ang lever. and medyo may resistance when you remove it from P.
    I think it is this "resistance" or forcing the shift lever from Park (to N or D or R) is what can damage the transmission. Braking stress when a car is parked must be on the wheel brakes and not on the transmission.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    pag park ng optra, iwan niyo lang sa "N" at gamitin ang hand brake. kung naka inlcined lagyan niyo ng kalso ang gulong.

hindi na ako gumagamit ng "P" kapag park ko iyun optra...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Pag nakapark ka ng pababa pag nagshift ka sa drive may resistance kang maramdaman .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Optra automatic tranny questions