New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Kita ko po sa manual ko yung "Engine belt (alternator, power steering and a/c compressor*)" so eto po ba yung pag naka harap ka sa sasakyan mo, makikita mo sa left side ng makina mo na belt tama po ba? kakapalit ko lang po kasi nito * 37,000Km medyo worn na yung belt kaya pinalitan ko na agad.

Eh paano ko po makikita ung Timing belt? ano pong difference ng dalawa? and paano ko po papalitan when my car's odometer hits 60,000Km?

I am confuse right now kasi pag nag change daw ng timing belt overhaul na yun. Magkano po usually magpapalit ng Timing belt?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the engine belts are the ones you see when you open the engine bay. the timing belt is inside the engine. you can't see it, unless you remove some engine parts. and it's not easy to replace timing belts. i ask the pros to do this for me, as it's very easy to make a mistake if you're not used to doing it. and it's quite expensive. and making a mistake in replacing the timing belt, may be synonymous to destroying your engine.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    37k kms for the fans belts, whew, thats stretching it a bit IMHO, check mo sya every 10k kms. para di ka maputulan ng belt.

the timing belt is hidden, di sya exposed sa dirt and dust, yan yung nasa ilalim nung black na plastic na nasa may front part ng engine mo, nasa likod sya nung mga fan belt for the power steering, aircon and water pump.

when your car reaches 60k kms. go to your trusted mechanic and have him replace the timing belt (or kung kasama sa warranty then have the casa fix it for you), actually normally yan 2 belts, isang maliit isang malaki, then kasama din mga seals for the engine crankshaft, etc, at may 2 or sometimes 3 bearings na kasama, depending on the car, P10k for everything (OEM and not replacement) including labor ok

when you replace the timing belt, di kailangan na mag overhaul, in fact its a preventive maintenance para di ka mauwi sa overhaul ng engine prematurely. normally, pag well maintained ang engine mo, mga 5 timing belt replacements ok pa rin engine mo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    engine belts are visible, timing belt is not (as what they have stated).
    replacing timing belts are not overhauls for it does not need opening of the actual engine compartment. sa ilalim tinitira ito. although labor is really extensive, it does not need the engine to be opened.

replacing both engine belts and timing belts are considered as maintenance tasks. you have to replace all of them before they break out on you. for engine belts, usually you have to have it replaced every two years or around 20k kms, and for the timing belt, you need to have it replaced between 75k-80k kms. while you are at it, you may need to replace your tensioner and your water pump para isang baklasan na lang, saving you on labor costs.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    any idea how much it cost sa casa? if i want to change my timing belt there? and what other parts will you recommend to change when my timing belt reach 60K?

i haven't change my tensioner ang water pump? they checked my sealed tensioner and they told me it is still intack and ok. they didn't checked my water pump, how long would a water pump last? my odometer now is 39,800K 3 years old optra....

Now i know the difference, thanks a lot. In the manual its stated to replaced the timing belt, why do you suggest to replaced it *75k to 80k, is it to far from the said maintenance?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    kapag nagpalit ka po ng timing belt,palitan mo na din po yung crank shaft oil seals..

Difference between Engine Belt and Timing Belt?