1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...chevrolet_niva
    Is this the 4x4 equivalent of the Aveo?

First Drive: Chevrolet Niva
    Paying customers and thieves agree: This is Russia's most popular SUV

By Frank Markus
    Photography by the author

Guess who builds the most popular SUV in Russia, where on-road is pretty off-roady by Yankee standards? Chevrolet. Well, mostly.

The Chevy Niva is built in a joint-venture with Russia's number-two automaker, AvtoVAZ, and it's loosely based on the Soviet-era LADA Niva that's been the Eastern bloc's personal 4x4 of choice since its launch in 1977. Both are unibody trucks with control-arm front and live-axle rear suspensions, and each comes standard with a five-speed stick and two-range transfer case. Relative to the U.S. market's smallest true 4x4, the Suzuki Grand Vitara, the Niva is 16.4 inches shorter, on an 8.3-inch-longer wheelbase-good for smoothing out rough roads.

Short gearing helps the sturdy fuel-injected 1.7-liter four's 95 horses simulate brisk acceleration off the line, but overall performance is best described as deliberate. Average fuel economy on the Euro cycles is almost 23 mpg, which gives drivers about 350 miles to find the next gas stop. A high steering ratio with plenty of turns lock-to-lock minimizes kickback on rocky roads, and the brake pedal travels rather far before any retardation is felt.

Yet, for the money (a loaded one with power front windows, air-conditioning, and heated seats front and rear tops out just under $14,000), its popularity is understandable. Not only are 35,000 of them bought and paid for each year, but almost six percent of those wind up stolen.
    Last edited by OTEP; December 12th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    *OTEP,

the lada niva has the distinction of being the first unibody SUV anywhere in the world. and it's a very capable offroader. it's quite popular in britain.

they featured that in the current season of amazing race. it has a crank under the hood, so if your battery fails, you can still start it by hand-cranking (so 1920's!) in fact in the episode of amazing race one of the teams got stalled. but there was this burly chinese guy who helped them crank it.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Personally, sana ilabas ng Chevy ito sa Pilipinas. It may seem crude and ancient but if they price it right, they've got a potential hit on their hands.

Maybe some alloy wheels would help. hehehe.

All dressed up and ready to go:
    Last edited by OTEP; December 12th, 2006 at 12:14 PM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    *OTEP,

the lada niva has the distinction of being the first unibody SUV anywhere in the world. and it's a very capable offroader. it's quite popular in britain.

they featured that in the current season of amazing race. it has a crank under the hood, so if your battery fails, you can still start it by hand-cranking (so 1920's!) in fact in the episode of amazing race one of the teams got stalled. but there was this burly chinese guy who helped them crank it.
    The first unibody SUV is the Jeep Cherokee. The Lada Niva(1977) was a car with 4wd similar to the AMC Eagle made by Chryler in 1980 and both were beat by the Subaru Leone in 1972.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    ugly.mid-80's design.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Mukhang 1st gen Kia Sportage sya.I remember back then na may isang Philippine company na balak dalhin ang Lada Niva here noong 1995 pero hindi natuloy....

If ever GM Philippines sell these little 4X4 SUV here eh baka nasa 400-550K yan...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even if it is from the pre-historic era, if priced right, I think the bowtie boys can sell it.

Just like the Tamaraw FX of Toyota.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    oh my looks soooo old...well kung murang mura why not

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    reminds me of the kia sportage 90's...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Bakit parang kupas na yung steering wheel?hehe.
    Parang Kia Sportage nga yung shape niya ah.

Chevrolet Niva