New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Wala ako nakitang thread on the Suburban.

I'm looking to buy a 2000-2006 Suburban. Nasa 600 range nalang kasi. For the same price ang ibang options ko Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Patrol, Ford Expedition. Pero dami issues ng Trooper & Patrol of the same year. Kung Exped na gas guzzler, sa Suburban nalang ako- gas guzzler, pero more interior space.

Big SUV nga pala option ko kasi family of 5 na kami, plus yaya at driver pa. Basketball team na, may sub pa, hehe! Grabe binata pako nung nag register sa tsikot!

Syempre sa Suburban gas ang problema, pero kaya ko naman kasi around 7k kilometers lang ako a year, and nandyan naman LPG. Aside from it being a gas guzzler, may ibang common problems pa ba ang Suburban?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Interior trim feels a bit cheap for the (brand new) price, and there are rattles and small electrical problems that can show up over time. Oh, and it drives like a boat, and stops like one.

On the upside, the GM V8 is legendarily tough, and, yes, you get a lot of space. And thanks to the tanking resale value, you don't have to pay the fantastic up-front price.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Also, as long as you use it regularly and bring it for regular maintenance, break downs seem to be less common as against leaving it parked in the garage where it only sees the light of day when the family is going on the twice or thrice a year long trip.

On our 1998 Suburban, we burned through a set of brake pads every 15,000kms to 20,000kms if i recall correctly, but this was always used going to Baguio and Tagaytay. It also broke down on us once in Tagaytay so we had to flatbed it home but the car was already ten years old at that time (2008). We sold it in 2009 with only 53,000kms on the odo.

Space and road presence is always a plus for the Suburban and I myself would get this over the Exped. The trim on ours also seems to have aged better than the Exped trim on a similar-year 1998 Exped of a relative (although their Exped was much more used, and the Burb was parked in a covered garage at home when it wasn't in use). I don't know on the 2000 model units and up which are newer but ours would shudder like an airplane during take-off when it would hit rough roads (that's how the interior kalampag would sound, hehehe)

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'm really after the ride, space, and comfort. Performance di masyado coz I'm a "slow/relaxed" driver and I tell my driver to do the same. Instruction ko sa kanya is to imagine that I'm holding a drink, hehe.
    Regarding maintenance, are there other options aside from casa, and are there auto supply stores that support this model?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We used to buy parts from Thunder Automotive in Masangkay before. There are also some shops in Banawe that cater to GM parts.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I have a 04 burb and I love it. I use it everyday for the past 3 years mileage when i got it was 50,+++kms.now its 167,+++kms. and the only major issue I had with it is the Fuel Pump Relay and instrument cluster. Usually just check the suspension for rattles and squeak. And try not to run the fuel down less than 1/4 to prolong the fuel pump. 2003-2006 on some models has problems with the instrument cluster ( needles get stuck) so thats one heads up for you. Brake pads are a bit fast since burbs are heavy, stock DRL bulbs always burns up on mine so I replaced them with orange LED bulbs. I get parts kay thunder and or the one near sienna college (i forgot the name.) Never had an issue with the engine,trans.,susp.,electricals,(etc.(fingers crossed.))

Quote Originally Posted by nic View Post
    Syempre sa Suburban gas ang problema, pero kaya ko naman kasi around 7k kilometers lang ako a year, and nandyan naman LPG. Aside from it being a gas guzzler, may ibang common problems pa ba ang Suburban?
    I'm not a real enthusiast of gaseous fuels, but among the big V8 engines, the Chevy Vortec series are the most suitable to LPG. You can have the LPG tanks easily mounted under the body, between rear frame rails in the original spare tyre location.