New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Hello. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Captiva. I bought it pre-owned just last week. It has third row seating.

My question is, how does the double folding seat supposed work? Do all Captivas with a third row seat have a double folding rear seat? The owner's manual says it is only for equipped vehicles. The manual says to pull the lever on the sides of the seats forward and fold the seatback. It says the seat will tumble forward automatically. I tried doing it but nothing happened.

This is a 4 year old vehicle, pretty mint inside and out; well-maintained according to the dealer and based on what I can see. Could it be that the feature is already malfunctioning or am I doing something wrong?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by irvinj View Post
    Hello. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Captiva. I bought it pre-owned just last week. It has third row seating.

My question is, how does the double folding seat supposed work? Do all Captivas with a third row seat have a double folding rear seat? The owner's manual says it is only for equipped vehicles. The manual says to pull the lever on the sides of the seats forward and fold the seatback. It says the seat will tumble forward automatically. I tried doing it but nothing happened.

This is a 4 year old vehicle, pretty mint inside and out; well-maintained according to the dealer and based on what I can see. Could it be that the feature is already malfunctioning or am I doing something wrong?
    Is this with an original third row seat? The earlier captivas came with 5 rows only and some had modified third row done by local seat manufacturers. If it was the original 7 seater then the 2nd row can fold and tumble easily. There's a technique in tumbling the seat. It's in the manual. There is a lever on the side of the seat. If there's no lever on the side then it was originally a 5 seater. Kung meron siya lever then just follow the instructions in the manual. If it doesn't tumble then try to pull the seat up and tumble it. Maybe the lock got stuck up under. You can go to FB page for Chevy captiva owners for help.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    First let me correct myself for this erroneous sentence grammar-wise:

My question is, how does the double folding seat supposed work...
    What I meant was:

My question is, how is the double folding seat supposed work?
    Quote Originally Posted by raquino View Post
    Is this with an original third row seat? The earlier captivas came with 5 rows only and some had modified third row done by local seat manufacturers. If it was the original 7 seater then the 2nd row can fold and tumble easily. There's a technique in tumbling the seat. It's in the manual. There is a lever on the side of the seat. If there's no lever on the side then it was originally a 5 seater. Kung meron siya lever then just follow the instructions in the manual. If it doesn't tumble then try to pull the seat up and tumble it. Maybe the lock got stuck up under. You can go to FB page for Chevy captiva owners for help.
    I believe so, yes, it is an original third row seat. There is a lever on either side of the second row seats. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual but like I said when I tried it, nothing happened. The levers can be pressed, the seatback can be folded but the seat itself won't tumble. It couldn't be pulled up either as it was stiff. I did not force it because I was afraid I might break something.

I'll try the FB page thing. Thanks for your reply.