New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Found these 2 articles regarding Chery's plans to assemble locally within the year. Click the links:

http://www.malaya.com.ph/apr25/busi2.html

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/315506...production-hub

According to Malaya, the DTI is encouraging Chery to locate their production facility in...wait for it...Port Irene! This is supposedly to disperse industry away from MM and Laguna area.

Port Irene in Cagayan? Er ,wasn't that in the path of the last tsunami emanating from Japan (although we didn't feel it much, in the path nevertheless)? Also, aren't the road network and port infrastructure in CALABARZON already geared for such industry? Smells fishy to me...

The other thing is there is suspiciously no mention of local component sourcing (which is what DTI should demand pursuant to its mandate of industrial development), leading me to believe that they'll be screwing together CKD kits from China with no value added other than labor.

Chery reducing import duty on its cars, and DTI rewarding a powerful Cagayan family...are these the only benefits from this?

So many questions...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    okay sana kung GW or Foton since they are the ones being bought by many, but chery ? it once failed. well, i think twice na nga eh. anything more than that is too much already for me imo.

and chery has already proven it's crappiness ( pardon me for there's no such word but i can't find any words more suitable than that ... ) already by having doors misaligned, cars getting broken after some time. poor after sales and the like ...

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    Port Irene??? They can just locate themselves nearer. Bulacan or Pampanga or better yet, Subic

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Port Irene??? They can just locate themselves nearer. Bulacan or Pampanga or better yet, Subic
    layo pa rin.

laguna nalang

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Maybe this is DTI's way of enticing Port Irene to forego Japan surplus conversion in favor of screwing together Cherys...

Is this a case of the cure being worse than the disease?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Dun yata sa Star Motor Plant balak mag-assemble ng QQ3,QQ2,A1,A3 at Tiggo.

Sana matuloy yan tutal di hamak na mas okay pa ang Chery kaysa dyan sa JMC na currently ginagawa sa Star Motor Plant sa Sta,Rosa Laguna.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Any updates re: local assembly of Chery in Starmotors. Its been 2 years since Chery made an announcement.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Any updates re: local assembly of Chery in Starmotors. Its been 2 years since Chery made an announcement.
    Naging cherry mobile... dito na local assembly ng mobile phones hehe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    Dun yata sa Star Motor Plant balak mag-assemble ng QQ3,QQ2,A1,A3 at Tiggo.

Sana matuloy yan tutal di hamak na mas okay pa ang Chery kaysa dyan sa JMC na currently ginagawa sa Star Motor Plant sa Sta,Rosa Laguna.

natuloy ba sir?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    puro press release

Chery to assemble locally within 2011!