New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Saw a couple of newly issued credit cards (both visa and mastercard) of friends and relatives, wala ng hologram (dove and world map) sa front above the visa and mastercard logo.

Ganyan na ba lahat ng new credit cards? Yung sa akin kasi may holograms pa.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If Im not mistaken, the hologram is a security feature of the ccard to validate its authenticity. New ccards nowadays have a 'microchip' in front of the ccard (on the left side). This chip contains embedded card info provides much better security than the magnetic stripe at the back of the card the since it can't be skimmed. This chip makes it more difficult to fraudelently copy the ccard details.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The renewal Visa cards I got this month still have the dove hologram.

How can I tell if my card has a microchip?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey177 View Post
    How can I tell if my card has a microchip?
    it should have a small sim like thingy on one side.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    AFAIK, only BPI has an embedded microchip for its credit cards. However, halos useless din ito, kasi hindi pa naman laganap yung chip readers sa mga merchants. Swipe pa rin.

IIRC, Bankard One was the first to introduce this technology a decade ago. Hindi nga lang nag-take off

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrox View Post
    If Im not mistaken, the hologram is a security feature of the ccard to validate its authenticity. New ccards nowadays have a 'microchip' in front of the ccard (on the left side). This chip contains embedded card info provides much better security than the magnetic stripe at the back of the card the since it can't be skimmed. This chip makes it more difficult to fraudelently copy the ccard details.
    I didn't notice any chips on the credit cards that don't have the holograms.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    AFAIK, only BPI has an embedded microchip for its credit cards. However, halos useless din ito, kasi hindi pa naman laganap yung chip readers sa mga merchants. Swipe pa rin.

IIRC, Bankard One was the first to introduce this technology a decade ago. Hindi nga lang nag-take off
    Visa and MasterCard will make the use of microchips in ccards mandatory in the Phils. Im not sure when, but countries like Malaysia & Singapore have already implemented it. Fraud cases have been significantly reduced in those countries since the implementation.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrox View Post
    Visa and MasterCard will make the use of microchips in ccards mandatory in the Phils. Im not sure when, but countries like Malaysia & Singapore have already implemented it. Fraud cases have been significantly reduced in those countries since the implementation.

Only a few establishments here in MM can read these credit cards with chips.... And on a number of these establishments, you need to sign on the card reader.

You have to have good imagination while signing to be able to duplicate your signature on the card....

5202:threadmil:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    boybi, nasa likod na kasi yung dove hologram...

New credit cards, no more holograms?