New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i saw an episode of Silicon Valley recently, where the bida hired a business management guy to put up his company; it made me realize that i'm kinda on the same boat -- i've been in IT all my life, but i see myself putting up a business should the day come that this company gets tired of me...and apart from putting up a sari sari store, i'm basically clueless ^_^

Question lang po sa mga dumaan ng MBA course: do you feel it was worth it? Me nagsasabi na common sense lang naman daw ang tinuturo dun...but something that costs that much can't just all be just practical knowledge, can it?

Saang university me magandang MBA program these days?

Advisable po bang mag online course na lang?
    Last edited by badkuk; May 28th, 2015 at 10:27 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i saw an episode of Silicon Valley recently, where the bida hired a business management guy to put up his company; it made me realize that i'm kinda on the same boat -- i've been in IT all my life, but i see myself putting up a business should the day come that this company gets tired of me...and apart from putting up a sari sari store, i'm basically clueless ^_^

Question lang po sa mga dumaan ng MBA course: do you feel it was worth it? Me nagsasabi na common sense lang naman daw ang tinuturo dun...but something that costs that much can't just all be just practical knowledge, can it?

Saang university me magandang MBA program these days?

Advisable po bang mag online course na lang?
    A couple of my HS classmates who graduated from MBA started their (now) thriving businesses from/as their Strategic Management study....

For me, it is a big help and tool, as I continue to efficiently use it in the corporate world. The insight, structure and discipline it promotes are well-embraced in the business world.

Most of the people I talk to and interact in the US and EU are Engineering PhDs, and it is a constant challenge for me and my managers to keep up to our discussions on technology issues. My university studies pretty much cover me here.

On the other side, we need to have discussions too, on the business side, with Sales, Marketing and Finance,- and this is where my MBA studies help me a lot, as I understand and discuss relevant financial and market issues with them.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

26.4K _/_/_/_/_/:hit:_/_/_/_/_/

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO, you don't need it if you're eventually going into business. What you need is experience and connection plus of course capital.

I feel MBA are only important for corporate world.

Yun kinapatid ko nag MBA sa AIM before punta punta pa Japan for thesis yata or Europe yata.

Eh di ganun din Ang bagsak sa family business pa rin nila.
    Last edited by shadow; May 28th, 2015 at 11:03 AM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    IMO, you don't need it if you're eventually going into business. What you need is experience and connection plus of course capital.

Yun kinapatid ko nag MBA sa AIM before punta punta pa Japan for thesis yata or Europe yata.

In the local scenario,- I agree that experience-capital-connection are the most important things, if you are going into business.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

26.4K _/_/_/_/_/:hit:_/_/_/_/_/

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho... having an MBA and apply the concepts would be good, otherwise, it would be a useless title. i've known people who have MBAs na hindi marunong magpatakbo ng negosyo, or hindi alam ang concepts ng negosyo..... so everything boils in the book.

Examples:

a. bilas ko... lahat ata ng pwedeng pagaralan, pinagaralan na nun... nagtayo ng school, nag mba, nag child psychology.... after two years, sarado na... again attempted to open a manpower agency... pero after 4 months, sinara na. what's wrong? the mindset and the lack of marketing skills.

b. negosyanteng kilalang kilala ko... graduate of a school in the US, pati MBA sa US.... nakaka limang negosyo na, lahat bumagsak.

compared with:

a. a president of an IT consulting firm.... graduate ng JRU, walang MBA..... thriving yung business nila.
    b. a president of a large insurance company ... graduate ng UE, walang MBA... again, profitable yung business nila.

an MBA would give you an extra knowledge, but it does not define your success.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

imho... having an MBA and apply the concepts would be good, otherwise, it would be a useless title. i've known people who have MBAs na hindi marunong magpatakbo ng negosyo, or hindi alam ang concepts ng negosyo..... so everything boils in the book.

Examples:

a. bilas ko... lahat ata ng pwedeng pagaralan, pinagaralan na nun... nagtayo ng school, nag mba, nag child psychology.... after two years, sarado na... again attempted to open a manpower agency... pero after 4 months, sinara na. what's wrong? the mindset and the lack of marketing skills.

b. negosyanteng kilalang kilala ko... graduate of a school in the US, pati MBA sa US.... nakaka limang negosyo na, lahat bumagsak.

compared with:

a. a president of an IT consulting firm.... graduate ng JRU, walang MBA..... thriving yung business nila.
    b. a president of a large insurance company ... graduate ng UE, walang MBA... again, profitable yung business nila.

an MBA would give you an extra knowledge, but it does not define your success.
    ako, i do not have an MBA, but two undergrad technical degrees and IT certifications.
    i am at the helm of a company today, and it has been profitable for the last three years already. guts, skills and experience lang.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002

yung utol ko may MBA din sa AIM.
    di nagtatagal sa trabaho.... mindset pa din eh.... ayaw atang magtrabaho.... pang display lang sa CV nya yung MBA nya.
    MBA is also not that important in the corporate world, imho.... but is highly considered in huge multinational companies. however, important ang MBA kung mag teach ka sa college, for reasons that I am also curious of.

yung utol ko may MBA din sa AIM.
    di nagtatagal sa trabaho.... mindset pa din eh.... ayaw atang magtrabaho.... pang display lang sa CV nya yung MBA nya.
    MBA is also not that important in the corporate world, imho.... but is highly considered in huge multinational companies. however, important ang MBA kung mag teach ka sa college, for reasons that I am also curious of.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

there has to be other factors why a business fails... its not just because of the MBA, imho.
    pero kung lahat ng hawakang negosyo ay bumabagsak, its not about the other factors, but the people/person handling the business.

there has to be other factors why a business fails... its not just because of the MBA, imho.
    pero kung lahat ng hawakang negosyo ay bumabagsak, its not about the other factors, but the people/person handling the business.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Having worked for 3 large business conglomerates, I've observed that:

1. The OWNERS themselves do not have MBAs but have successfully built their businesses into a billion-peso enterprise.

2. The people they hire with MBAs are mostly those who they thrust into Finance or Business Development roles. Or, those who prepare reports for P&L and those who conceptualize what project to do next.

3. It's still those employees or their people who have the ability to think out-of-box who are put in higher positions and have greater responsibility and these guys, more often than not, do not possess an MBA.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    If you have minimal management subjects during undergrad studies, an MBA degree would help you understand the business lingo and create business models and analysis for decision making. Most of the business degrees (accountancy, management, commerce, etc.) have more comprehensive coverage on business topics than an MBA course.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    If you have minimal management subjects during undergrad studies, an MBA degree would help you understand the business lingo and create business models and analysis for decision making. Most of the business degrees (accountancy, management, commerce, etc.) have more comprehensive coverage on business topics than an MBA course.
    wala akong MBA and I have less than 3 units of business subjects when i was in college (ECE grad ako eh...)
    i've learned accountancy first via basics, then I've taken additional courses on accounting and financial management.
    management, hmmmm..... via experience, i guess? although I have read tons of management books.
    business development, marketing and sales would be the hardest for me to understand and i am still learning the ropes via reading and self-study.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    wala akong MBA and I have less than 3 units of business subjects when i was in college (ECE grad ako eh...)
    i've learned accountancy first via basics, then I've taken additional courses on accounting and financial management.
    management, hmmmm..... via experience, i guess? although I have read tons of management books.
    business development, marketing and sales would be the hardest for me to understand and i am still learning the ropes via reading and self-study.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast