New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako kaya hanggang kelan magiging programmer. hahaha. sana maging pm din ako someday. ehehehe

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    oist slamtaz...ibig sabihin ng "peer" eh magka-level kami sa company, hindi edad

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    The problem here in this country is the career path for IT people.
    Here, no matter how one loves or is passionate about programming, there'll come a time where one leave behind the debugger and be promoted to a supervisorial or managerial position. Wala atang career growth dito ang pure programmer. I myself had to bite the bullet and swap DevStudio/NetBeans for blechhhh...MS Word and MS Project..blechhH!!!!...for the sake of career growth.
    Nakakainggit when I see 50+ year old folks in the US who are still programming, yet earn the same salary level as their managerial counterparts.

In a previous company I worked for, programming is limited to job grades, SE1-SE3. Once you hit SE4, you'll have to start managing people. One time, we were visited by engineers from our main branch in the US. Grabe. He's 55years old. His rank is SE13. He's not handling any people.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    The problem here in this country is the career path for IT people.
    Here, no matter how one loves or is passionate about programming, there'll come a time where one leave behind the debugger and be promoted to a supervisorial or managerial position. Wala atang career growth dito ang pure programmer. I myself had to bite the bullet and swap DevStudio/NetBeans for blechhhh...MS Word and MS Project..blechhH!!!!...for the sake of career growth.
    Nakakainggit when I see 50+ year old folks in the US who are still programming, yet earn the same salary level as their managerial counterparts.

In a previous company I worked for, programming is limited to job grades, SE1-SE3. Once you hit SE4, you'll have to start managing people. One time, we were visited by engineers from our main branch in the US. Grabe. He's 55years old. His rank is SE13. He's not handling any people.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the problem with staying a "pure" programmer forever is that you can only add so much value to a company as an individual contributor. kahit gano ka kagaling, you can only do so much with the hours you have in a day.

to grow career-wise and compensation-wise, you must continue to increase the value you add. you can only do that by grooming and developing talented people to work under you, and being responsible for a bigger and bigger scope of work. that's why people leadership is so crucial.

nico, btw the Myers Briggs test is only designed to tell your personality and decision-making style, and how others can best relate to you. it isn't a test of management potential...any MB type can be an effective manager - they just have to work with the style that they have
    Last edited by empy; July 30th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    the problem with staying a "pure" programmer forever is that you can only add so much value to a company as an individual contributor. kahit gano ka kagaling, you can only do so much with the hours you have in a day.

to grow career-wise and compensation-wise, you must continue to increase the value you add. you can only do that by grooming and developing talented people to work under you, and being responsible for a bigger and bigger scope of work. that's why people leadership is so crucial.

nico, btw the Myers Briggs test is only designed to tell your personality and decision-making style, and how others can best relate to you. it isn't a test of management potential...any MB type can be an effective manager - they just have to work with the style that they have

Wise advise...

Lots of pencil-pushing, finger-pointing and arse-kissing if you want to get up fast.

:rofl:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    langhya dont tell me dito sa bansa natin ultimo IT may age limit na naman eh wla naman halos ako ginagawa kundi nakaupo at mag isip ah---kng may maisip joke! hehe

pati ba naman yan may age limit na naman. talaga tong mga kumpanya dito di mo malaman gzto pag bata ka sasabihin wla po kayo experience ah pag tumanda ka naman konti sasabihin overexperience na kayo. kaya no wonder wlang pinapatunguhan

dapat bago mag 35 wla nako dito sa pinas.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Correct me if im wrong but aren't companies nowadays offer Technical Architect positions for those techy people not wanting to be in the managerial track? in which the Tech Archi is of equal footing in terms of benefits and comp as that of the manager.

Tech architects nowadays are in their 40s /50s with more than a decade of technical experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
maximum age for IT professionals