New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've been daydreaming of putting up a food truck business recently and I was wondering what are the pros and cons about this? I recently saw on cable TV about a food truck in Phoenix Arizona selling Filipino food and its doing great. I've seen a few food trucks here recently and I'm wondering how they have been doing. Anybody want to share info? thoughts? etc.? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    I've been daydreaming of putting up a food truck business recently and I was wondering what are the pros and cons about this? I recently saw on cable TV about a food truck in Phoenix Arizona selling Filipino food and its doing great. I've seen a few food trucks here recently and I'm wondering how they have been doing. Anybody want to share info? thoughts? etc.? Thanks.

What would be your target market? Events? Lunch time crowds at office areas?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    What would be your target market? Events? Lunch time crowds at office areas?
    Well to make the most of the van, I could cater to all. This could mean the following:

1. Breakfast at areas with high pedestrian traffic
    2. Lunch/Dinner time at CBDs
    3. After hours snacks and quick foods near call center areas
    4. School events / special events such as EBs, fun runs, etc. during weekends.

I need not label the van with just one name, it could change depending what type of food I would be selling during that event.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hmm, pwede ba iconsider ang jolli-jeep and burger machine trailer as precursors to food trucks?

Me nakita akong isang bakeshop, trailer naman ang gamit. i guess they just rent a small space for a couple of months then anchor the trailer there.

My biggest question is how this will jive with the specific city ordinances where you want to locate your food truck at. Ang alam ko super strict sa BGC, i don't think they'll just let you park anywhere and sell food, lalo na when it tends to mess up the sidewalk/road(although if you'll notice, andami ring basura sa mga vacant lots in BGC. i guess it doesn't really matter where you are, people will be people :p)

Otherwise, it's very liberating when you can choose where to sell. Just make sure your food is good and people get their money's worth, so you'll still rake it in even after the novelty of a food truck has faded.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    curious, para sa mga ganitong business. pano ang business permit and taxation neto? sa headquarters nung business?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    there's an association for this.. i talked to one food truck owner and he said it's not a good business. Investment alone is high because of the customized truck. Then if you decide to go with a franchise, you pay franchise fee. You can't just park anywhere.. kailangan may permit.. and the fees can be high depending on what city and what place you are in. The area should also have provision for electricity for you to hook up. Also the hours of operation is limited. Only from 5pm to 12mn. Can't start too early because of the heat of the sun. Then you have the problem of raining and it rains 6 months a year here in our country.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    there's an association for this.. i talked to one food truck owner and he said it's not a good business. Investment alone is high because of the customized truck. Then if you decide to go with a franchise, you pay franchise fee. You can't just park anywhere.. kailangan may permit.. and the fees can be high depending on what city and what place you are in. The area should also have provision for electricity for you to hook up. Also the hours of operation is limited. Only from 5pm to 12mn. Can't start too early because of the heat of the sun. Then you have the problem of raining and it rains 6 months a year here in our country.
    Thanks for the valid insights. Yes indeed. Those are some valid obstacles in doing this type of business. I found an article about this also. Yahoo!

With these obstacles in mind, how about bring the trucks to Subic or Clark? Or anywhere away from Manila.
    Last edited by Mguy; February 18th, 2014 at 06:53 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Aha!

Been watching too many Eat Street, TLC, Food Network programs huh?

There's a weekly food truck / impromptu street food flea market happening in Ayala Center, infront of the Shangrila hotel and 6750. Yes, its on that small strip of green in the middle. AFAIR, its Thursday nights.

You can talk to the guys that operate those trucks. Personal observation on the food: Not that good, I've tasted almost all of them. There's this one food truck though in Cebu, that parks right in the middle of IT Park parking lot on Saturday afternoons, and it charbroils burgers from afternoon until night time. Sarap! Daming tao bumibili.

Come to think of it, the jollijeep is our own Filipino version of the food truck. Yun nga lang, its not mobile.
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; February 18th, 2014 at 09:28 PM.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Pareho tayo ng nasa isip ...anyway, sa capitol commons may mga food trucks dun.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    MANILA, Philippines - While 2011 overflowed with milk tea (word mutations to accommodate the word “tea” aplenty), and last year paid great attention to all things katsu and ramen, 2013 promises to pave the way for the food truck. I love mobile kwek-kwek carts as much as the next person, but these are the Formula 3 drivers of meal trucks we’re talking about here. At one point they existed just within the walls of my TV set, gracing the foreign food channels with their exotic fried Kool-Aid, red velvet pancakes, and sloppy cheesesteak sandwiches. The closest I could get to the food truck was through their distant relatives, five times removed: the corner Burger Machine stand and the Jollijeeps that line Metropolitan Avenue. So, it’s about time they crashed our sidewalks, really. Gathering every Friday to Saturday at Cucina Andare — the city’s first food truck market in Glorietta Park 3 — here are the city’s first few meals on wheels, making tracks to what will hopefully be a fresh new fleet to the food scene we know.

I just came across with this article, interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast