New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    What do you think po mga sir/maam. Noong namatay ang asawa ko tatlong credit card company ang tumatawag sa akin at pinababayaran ang mga utang nya sa credit card. May 11k, may 70k, may 300k. Obligasyon ko bang bayaran ang mga iyon? Noon nag loan naman sya hindi naman ako pumirma at sa totoo lang hindi ako aware. Siguro dahil sa kagustuhan niyang matulungan ako sa gastusin ng kanyang pagpapagamot, umutang siya.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    antay tayo may alam sa bangko.

Interested din ako if ever mag-asawa ako.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    No. You are not obligated to pay but the bank can run after your wife's estate.

Anything under BOTH your names can be put on hold and divided among the creditors.

If you have joint account pwede habulin yan. But your individual account wala sila habol. Read between the lines na lang sir.

I am sorry for your loss

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You lost your wife. Even if meron sila habol which is wala, unahin mo pa ba yan mga creditors? Saka I'm sure mga collection agency na mga yan. Pag tumatawag mo ng kausapin,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikomann View Post
    What do you think po mga sir/maam. Noong namatay ang asawa ko tatlong credit card company ang tumatawag sa akin at pinababayaran ang mga utang nya sa credit card. May 11k, may 70k, may 300k. Obligasyon ko bang bayaran ang mga iyon? Noon nag loan naman sya hindi naman ako pumirma at sa totoo lang hindi ako aware. Siguro dahil sa kagustuhan niyang matulungan ako sa gastusin ng kanyang pagpapagamot, umutang siya.
    they can try claiming it against your late husband's iniwang kaperahan or ari-arian.
    they may not touch a centavo under your name alone.
    wives do not inherit husband's utangs.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Credit card companies usually employ tactics to the point that they call, demand, and convince the widower, the full payment of his so-called "assumed obligation" left by the deceased. However, the bereaved spouse has no legal obligation to pay as correctly mentioned in previous posts.

Am not a lawyer by profession, but I believe their best chance to collect is to file a legal claim against the estate of the deceased to collect the debt owed. This is a tedious task and an expense to the card company, as they need to undertake or 'hunt' for property(ies) registered under the deceased's name. For them to save on time and expenses, they hope to produce results by frequent calls to press for collection.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed.Autel View Post
    Am not a lawyer by profession, but I believe their best chance to collect is to file a legal claim against the estate of the deceased to collect the debt owed. This is a tedious task and an expense to the card company, as they need to undertake or 'hunt' for property(ies) registered under the deceased's name. For them to save on time and expenses, they hope to produce results by frequent calls to press for collection.
    + 1 the bank will not go through the hassle of going after the estate for a small amount. Write off na yan. Not sure though how far they will go for P300k...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Banks will try to get payments for the next few months. If you pay a few times, they will hound you for more payments. If you dont pay outright, they will just make kulit.

After that wala na. They cannot force you to pay because it is not your debt. Hindi namamana ang utang unless co-obligor ka

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Condolences sir. Hard loss and then compounded with this action from the banks makes it even harder.

I dont think you can be forced to pay...but sadly (cause its 3 separate banks)...your credit will be affected even if you are not the borrower.

Prime example. I have a friend who is estranged from the spouse for more than 15 yrs. This friend wanted to buy a car and was willing to put down 50% dp (which is safe for any financing institution). This friend has no debt etc. Has paid off two previous loans and earns more than 300k a month. The loan was denied by major banks because the credit report showed that the estranged spouse had several hundred thousand in unpaid credit card debts. Hassle for this person. Will have to find a well heeled co-maker or pay in cash.

Sadly if you have any plans of tapping the banks for loans in the next 10 years...you will need to pay. Otherwise if you are comfortable not needing to have access to financing, then ignore them.

Either way condolences.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikomann View Post
    Save yourself too much stress and ask for a legal advice from a friend or someone you know. Kahit naman may bayad, hindi naman malaki bayad kung consultation lang.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast