New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    No Our expenditures gets higher every month despite cost-cutting measures, baka naman dumating sa point na ang 1 week groceries will cost upwards of 5 thousand pesos, ang pinaka-kawawa yun mga ofw and their family here, they're losing almost Php 15K for every thousand dollars compare to the time when exchange rate is 57 pesos per dollar

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Yes, but in a slightly negative way.

i agree though, with those who say that one of the positive effects of the apparently stronger peso is that the local price of oil products are somewhat held at bay despite the historical high of world oil prices.

And as i've mentioned in another similar thread, malabong basta na lang bumaba ang halaga ng bilihin kasi hindi naman 100% nakasalalay sa foreign currency movement ang presyo ng bilihin (i.e. malaking factor din ang sweldo, cost of money, oil price movement, etc.)

At paalala lang po sa mga nagbabalak mag-convert into other foreign currencies other than the US$, ingat lang po lalo na kung hindi po kayo sanay sumugal sa foreign currency market dahil very volatile ang currency market ngayon. i'm sure you don't want to get burned when the trend suddenly fluctuates hard or even reverses and you are caught still holding on.

just my :twocents: po

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coolman View Post
    I always wondered about this, with the peso appreciating some 10% this year. how come the prices of new cars never goes down? on the contrary honda increased prices on most of their products. they should've gotten a lower landed cost. lower landed cost means lower taxes, which should translate to lower car prices. but obviously, that is not the case here. any comments on this ?
    It's coz cost of producing a car is up. Price of raw materials that go into making car parts that go into making a car is up.

Metals are up. Heck, all commodities are up.

------------------------------------------------------------

The major reason why cost of living is the rising is coz of rising commodity prices.

Food prices are up. Grains are at all time highs.

Milk is up. Meat is up. Coz animal feed is up.

Everything is up.

Global demand is very strong. China and India's prospering people are consuming more.

Like China is consuming more milk. Milk producers all over the world cant keep up with China's demand. We are feeling the effect. We are paying more for milk.

We all need the same stuff to live. We are competing with 6.5 billion people for the same stuff.

If people in some other country can pay X amount of money for a commodity, then we also have to pay the same amount if we want that same commodity.

When other people's incomes rise, they can buy more stuff at higher prices.

That puts pressure on people whose incomes are stagnant.

It's pure and simple competition among nations and economies.

We, the people of the islands, are competing with China and India and other nations for the same stuff. As they prosper, they put price pressure on stuff we need to live.
    Last edited by uls; November 3rd, 2007 at 12:16 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by torque2006 View Post
    yes, if not for the strong peso gasoline/diesel prices would be more than P50 a liter.

re rising costs of commodity goods: inflation cannot be stopped, but it can be slowed. we're enjoying the lowest inflation rates since 1997.

Bro.,- it would be interesting for us to know what is in the basket of goods for the measurement of our country's inflation rate. I used to remember a couple of years ago that it includes instant noodles, rice, mang tomas sarsa ng lechon and yosi/cellphone load(this last one is just a shot in the dark--->????)... daily subsistence of the common tao....

Anyway, if anyone knows what's in the basket of goods, please post it here so that we, tsikoteers, can relate if we are aligned with what our government is saying as 'one of the lowest inflation rates since 1997'..... Most of us, I think, will not be aligned to this economic metric.... (I hope I am wrong, though)....

4303:gun:
    Last edited by CVT; November 3rd, 2007 at 03:37 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Convert nalang lahat ng reserve ng Pilipinas sa gold...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    sad to say wala effect. Prices are spiraling up. Pero historically nmn ke tumaas o baba ang dollar prices keeps on rising due to inflation. Sama lang di makasunod yung kinikita mo. As an OFW malaki na rin nawawala sa akin pero much better pa nmn kesa working there. Ang problema lang is yung time na mabawasan na rin yung need sa foreign worker na ibang bansa. A lot of countries is developing their economies in a way na ma maximize ng citizenry nila ang lahat ng job opportunities secondary na sa migrant workers. Kung di natin idedevelop ang domestic job markets natin, well ang daming magiging jobless. Sa ngayon kasi puro service ang nag da drive sa economy natin, tapos hindi pa ganong ka value add service kundi parang sub con lang yung labor. Dapat we find a niche market for our workforce something with more value na tayo ang magdedevelop.

And I think the govt is resting on its laurels, panay ang boast nila na strong peso chuva. Ala namang plan on how to capitalize on the situation. Parang improvement na hindi naman alam kung pano nangyari at walang plano kung pano i sustain.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    strong peso?? or bumagsak lang ang USD?....ibig sabihin yung AUD naging strong din against USD??

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akal View Post
    YES ! Ramdam na ramdam ko.

Lumiit kita ko at hindi na magkasya yung $900/monthly budget allowance ko sa gastusin sa bahay. Kaya hinge ng hinge si misis na increasan ko raw allowance nya... Lumiit savings tuloy. OFW po ako.
    Bro, medyo malaki na yung budget niya ah. Marami ba kayong anak?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slamtaz View Post
    Yes, but in a slightly negative way.

i agree though, with those who say that one of the positive effects of the apparently stronger peso is that the local price of oil products are somewhat held at bay despite the historical high of world oil prices.

And as i've mentioned in another similar thread, malabong basta na lang bumaba ang halaga ng bilihin kasi hindi naman 100% nakasalalay sa foreign currency movement ang presyo ng bilihin (i.e. malaking factor din ang sweldo, cost of money, oil price movement, etc.)

At paalala lang po sa mga nagbabalak mag-convert into other foreign currencies other than the US$, ingat lang po lalo na kung hindi po kayo sanay sumugal sa foreign currency market dahil very volatile ang currency market ngayon. i'm sure you don't want to get burned when the trend suddenly fluctuates hard or even reverses and you are caught still holding on.

just my :twocents: po
    I agree. Especially considering a BIG reason for the dollar value's decline is the lowering of their interest rates. Once the world realizes they can't let the dollar drop too much or pag nagpalit ng mas magandang admin sa US, puwedeng bumaliktad yan.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by torque2006 View Post
    ...The problem is this boom cannot be sustained because it is consumption driven. dapat yung pera na naiipon naten ngayon ay gamitin to fund the manufacturing sector (pero mahirap lumaban especially sa china) or the agricultural sector (mas may laban tayo dito) ...
    For as long as may CARP tayo, walang pag-asa ang agriculture natin. Everyone knows that economies of scale are needed in any venture for it to truly prosper.

How can economies of scale be achieved if ownership (scale) is limited?

CARP is just legalized robbery. :swear:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Can you feel the effect of a "Strong Peso"?