New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    imho, if the pay in your current job is good, stick to it. Anyways, being in the petroleum biz, it should present opportunities to indulge/keep up with your automotive interests.

imho, stay where you are, use your position/connections as leverage to be in the automotive business.

i agree with some fellow tsikoteers: rare are the times that our hobbies fund themselves. And it's a lot easier to pursue your passions when you have money(cars are particularly an expensive one). Heck, if you're lucky enough, you could retire early and spend the rest of your days on your hobbies.

And, if you join the sales/marketing crew in an automotive company, chances are your work will be more about sales/marketing, rather than "automotive", right? Sales people sell, marketing people market, doesn't matter what the product is.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not in sales dept..maybe sa admin or pre delivery..or service dept..pre delivery ay stressful..in my case average of 10 cars per day lumalabas sa amin both fleet and retail...

and Toyota factory sa melbourne magsasara na sa 2016...

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Last edited by ozcity; May 14th, 2014 at 02:24 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kung mahilig sa oto/setup at gusto gawing career gayain sila autoplus, speedlab, etc

pero they have family businesses that provided capital to put up those tuning shops

every car enthusiast i know get funding outside the auto industry

ironically yung mga nasa auto industry parang walang hilig sa oto/setup

puro stock mga oto nila eh

hehe

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    And, if you join the sales/marketing crew in an automotive company, chances are your work will be more about sales/marketing, rather than "automotive", right? Sales people sell, marketing people market, doesn't matter what the product is.
    I don't mind selling or marketing cars. Seems like a fun thing to do. My current job revolves around sales/operations/pricing/marketing so doing a similar job for a product I'm more passionate about seems like an interesting to do.
    It does matter what the product is.

But if the pay difference is too huge, mahirap din. I don't rely on my parents so I need to be self-sufficient.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    kung mahilig sa oto/setup at gusto gawing career gayain sila autoplus, speedlab, etc

pero they have family businesses that provided capital to put up those tuning shops

every car enthusiast i know get funding outside the auto industry

ironically yung mga nasa auto industry parang walang hilig sa oto/setup

puro stock mga oto nila eh

hehe
    Am interested in putting up an automotive-related business in the future. I'm not the son of a wealthy businessman so I have to save up for my own capital first.

Which is why ibang usapan yung current scenario, while I'm still in corporate. Would be nice to work in an industry that I'm passionate about but also pays well.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hmmm, magkapit bahay lang pala tayo.

Which company is courting on you?

VW?

Deferred on their Technical Service Manager position a year ago. I was qualified and passed all the interviews, modesty aside. I dont think I can handle the stress related to that work again. Mind you, I was connected with the auto industry since 1994, up until 2007. So I've been around the block experience wise.

:D
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; May 14th, 2014 at 05:10 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Thanks for the inputs guys.

Ako kasi philosophy ko, I should enjoy the work I do because I spend majority of my waking hours at work. I enjoy my work naman ngayon but naisip ko kasi baka mas fun when you're working with cars.

Naisip ko rin na wala talagang pera as a salesman in the auto industry, but perhaps in upper management mas lucrative?

mag buy and sell ka nalang. you like cars and you just want to sell them? ako, mas gusto ko involved sa development stage, i like tinkering and design development.

or better yet, open a repair shop. dito palang sa forum marami ka na makukuha na idea kung ano kailangan:
    -specializing in suspension
    -specializing in aircon
    - etc etc

so far wala pang consistent good feedback sa mga yan

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Am interested in putting up an automotive-related business in the future. I'm not the son of a wealthy businessman so I have to save up for my own capital first.

Which is why ibang usapan yung current scenario, while I'm still in corporate. Would be nice to work in an industry that I'm passionate about but also pays well.

having automotive related skill does not mean automatic maging successful na business mo, running a business is a different skill. in your shoes, i would still continue working in my current job. on weekends or after office, study kung ano gusto mo-repair, detail o modding. try mo muna yung pinagaralan mo sa friends, relatives until you hone your skill or until you are confident enough to charge for your services.

friends/relatives will now recommend you to their friends/relatives, so on so forth until such time na masmalaki na kikitain mo kaysa sa current job mo

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Walang pera sa sales, on most months. But once in a blue moon bwenas talaga. On average though still wont beat your current annual income, pero masarap na makita yun commission mo na jackpot. But Before i resigned nag streak ako na two months a little above minimum wage lang sahod. No financing, no money. Lalo na ngayon, more people are aware that bank financing is different from inhouse. But i miss my ahente days since it wasnt a repetitive job, unlike my very clerical and boring work now.

Edit: my brother was also in the auto industry. Marketing manager ng chevy before. Resigned as well due to low salary. My gf awas also in human resources. Resigned as well and now almost triple na sweldo nya sa new company nya. Mukhang sa mga planta though maganda compensation ng mga tao dun. If youre not one of the higher ups, mababa talaga. Pero meron naman ako kakilala na nagahente for toyota. Rookie agent of the year ng dealership nila. Nakabili na ng auto, travelled abroad, guminhawa buhay. If you plan on joining a sales team, stick to toyota or mitsu. Pwede din ford kasi uso DI sa kanila

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sir jut, my POV is, there's a reason it's called "work" :D Pag sinuwerte ka, magtutugma yung hilig mo sa malaking kita...most times it's a choice between the two. But hey, that's just me .

i'm not an expert in automotive or petroleum sales, but feeling ko there's much more pressure in selling cars than it is to sell petroleum -- there's a bigger need for the latter than the former. So yes, i guess the product does matter :D
    Last edited by badkuk; May 15th, 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Automotive Industry - is it worth shifting into?