New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Since 2013 pa nang yayari itong skimming and yet BPI has yet to implement EMV chips and other banks for that matter. Metrobank and PSBank said they are EMV ready but where are the ATM cards?

The magnetic strips just don't provide security. Easily copied

BPI now sends a message if a withdrawal is made. some stories say the victims got their money back because they reported it quickly. Its nuts how assholes were able to install their devices at popular places. shang and powerplant mall.

More ATM users share horror stories

BPI starts sending withdrawal alerts after ATM skimming | YugaTech | Philippines News & Tech Reviews

Anyways we have one bank's android application on our phones to track the accounts. We have one sole atm card that is credited only when needed. Remittance goes to another account.

hoping to get the EMV ATM cards next year...

Hopefully ABS-CBN makes a ruckus out of this

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post

BPI now sends a message if a withdrawal is made. some stories say the victims got their money back because they reported it quickly. Its nuts how assholes were able to install their devices at popular places. shang and powerplant mall.
    This is really alarming. I only withdraw in ATMs that are familiar to me or near where I work or live. I never withdraw from places that I consider shady. One of the few ATMs where I do CWD is located in Powerplant beside Marketplace. I wouldn't think in a million years that they could install skimming devices there since it's a crowded place!

Even the drivethrough ATM in BF had a skimming device installed! I also do CWD there since I prefer not to get out of my car to make a withdrawal.

All my latest withdrawals were at the ATM near our building because there's always a guard stationed there. I don't think I should withdraw elsewhere anymore

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I just try to keep as little money in my ATM as possible, I just transfer from my other accounts when I need to.

Hence, a bigger risk for me is my online banking account getting hacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    How does this skimming work? May device attached that compromises the machine? How can it get your pin? Or the device also save your pin?

My cousin got victimized 40K naman, BPI too. Tsk tsk tsk.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    How does this skimming work? May device attached that compromises the machine? How can it get your pin? Or the device also save your pin?

My cousin got victimized 40K naman, BPI too. Tsk tsk tsk.

Where did he withdraw? Yes they attach something. Kaya yung mga ATMs may takip na rin ang keypad. Yung iba ata naga attach ng ibang keypad.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last widrawal niya sa starmall alabang.

Can we assume na doon nga kaya?

November 17 siya nag widraw, november 22 he checked his balance ayun zero na.

November 27 nabalik yung pera.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    James Deakin*FB

[b]November 27 at 10:52am ·

Friends, ATM skimming is rampant now. I've just been robbed 50,000 pesos using the ATM in South Supermarket Alabang! Case is under investigation now and card has been blocked so I cannot comment any further, but trust me, it doesn't matter what bank it is, nobody is immune. So please be extra careful. Do whatever you can to keep your money safe. You can start by sharing this post.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    There was an incident of skimming in Evia, here in Daang Hari nearly a year ago. The person using the machine noticed that the card slot was kinda loose so he removed it. He also noticed that there was a man lingering in the area. That guy probably owns the skimmer.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    Last widrawal niya sa starmall alabang.

Can we assume na doon nga kaya?

November 17 siya nag widraw, november 22 he checked his balance ayun zero na.

November 27 nabalik yung pera.

I wouldnt use any atm aside from the atm inside banks. Also kung pwede teller. My foreign bank atm has emv so im quite safe.

The magnetic strip digits can be easily copied. Kaya sila nakaka withdraw. But they also need your 4 digit pin from bpi.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Emv is mandated by bsp on 2016 pa. Local banks require a lot of effort to migrate to the new standard. The fist step was to make the atm machines emv compliant. Its more challenging to migrate exusting users to new emv cards specially for the larger banks.

Note that aside from thr euro-mastercard-visa (emv), the local standard for proprietary cards was late in being implemented. Thus, migration of non mastercard or visa cards to the local chip standard will be much later.

In the meantime, when making withdrawals, try to use those inside bank premises. If using atms try shaking the portion where the cards are inserted. If you feel that your card is compromised, change pin immediately.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast