Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nag spill over nanaman dito ang world economy talk, oil etc....hehehe

calling on Galactus...ano masasabi mo bro? hehehe

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Pero I am betting HERE (you can quote me) that $20 is NOT POSSIBLE.
    i'm also betting oil won't fall to $20 this year

who is on the other side of the bet?

hehe

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hehehe sayang wala ng Tcash

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hehe

o nga eh

real money nalang

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    what i'm saying is that for oil to drop to $20, it has to take more than fundamentals (low demand, high inventory, large number of floating storage)

for oil price to drop to $20, some event has to drive the USD upwards substantially
    But isn't it true also that real world economic demand for oil in this "depressing" times is going down? Every economy on the planet is experiencing a slowdown, especially the main oil consuming nations (like China).

Now if all that's driving the price of oil up right now are speculation and hedge against inflation, with no hard and real economic demand and/or consumption to back it up, then sooner or later that house of cards will go tumbling down especially if the slowdown stretches out longer than expected.

Is oil really the better/best hedge against a freefalling USD when the demand for it is simply not there in the first place? I'd rather think people will go to other options like precious metals (PM) because unlike oil, PM need not be consumed to be as valuable and is not as cumbersome to stock and hoard as OIL?

Just thinking out loud.....

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    nag spill over nanaman dito ang world economy talk, oil etc....hehehe

calling on Galactus...ano masasabi mo bro? hehehe
    No comment, hehehe.

Batman, I can take. As for Robin, ho-hum.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Its up to $65 by the way. Its creeping up again...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by leonleon View Post
    But isn't it true also that real world economic demand for oil in this "depressing" times is going down? Every economy on the planet is experiencing a slowdown, especially the main oil consuming nations (like China).

Now if all that's driving the price of oil up right now are speculation and hedge against inflation, with no hard and real economic demand and/or consumption to back it up, then sooner or later that house of cards will go tumbling down especially if the slowdown stretches out longer than expected.
    you're saying there is gonna be a reality check and oil price will fall to its "true" level... a level that reflects supply and demand fundamentals

well, the reality check has already happened

when oil hit $147 in July last year and fell to $32-$33 in December

why didnt oil fall to $20?

coz the market decided there is no way oil is not worth only $20/barrel even in a global recession

Is oil really the better/best hedge against a freefalling USD when the demand for it is simply not there in the first place? I'd rather think people will go to other options like precious metals (PM) because unlike oil, PM need not be consumed to be as valuable and is not as cumbersome to stock and hoard as OIL?
    people who use oil as a hedge against inflation also use other commodities like gold and silver

i don't think anyone would hold oil as their only exposure to commodities

and you don't need to hold on to physical oil to invest in oil... all you need is to buy the contracts (and sell the contracts before they expire, and buy the following month's contracts, and again and again and again)

(if the only way to invest in oil is to hold the physical commodity, that would significantly reduce the number of players in the oil market... how many investors have access to on-land and floating storage?)
    Last edited by uls; July 20th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    IMO oil has a fixed price range which is $70 +/- $15... Play along looks like we are moving up again...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yep

$64.71 as i type

USD and JPY weakest currencies as of now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
 per barrel oil in 2009