New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *number001: sana sumama ka, masaya!

Kudos to the very very first tsikoteer on the site, si brubeck (avid lurker daw siya... ...he's the tall guy beside me, carlo and m2 in the standing pic), I met him and his wife there at 8:00 am, almost an hour before they were supposed to open up the test-drives... :lol: ...excited din siya sa mga Kia models.

Reviews:

Driven:

Sorento:

+ Very nice wood trim, a sort of black bamboo-ish pattern. Interior is much more "special" feeling than the Fortuner.

+ Initial throttle response better than Toyota's D4D... much better, thanks to the variable geometry turbos. Terrific grunt from the engine.

+ Ride is pillowy soft, steering is good.

x Ride is too soft for me, it rolls too much under braking and in turns. I still like the Fortuner's body control better, and the Fortuner still seems a better car for high-speed highway travel (more grunt, more stability).

Rio

Was expecting disappointment after having tried the super-quick Accent, but was surprised. The Rio has very punchy and smooth 1.4 gas engine. With approximately 92 hp and 92 ft-lbs of torque, it'll pull even from low revs, and it doesn't lug too much if you shift too early. Fuel consumption should be between 10-12 in traffic.

Everything else is as in the Accent, roomy interior, cheap plastics, decent handling, stiff ride, except the Rio looks better both inside and out, and comes in at a jaw-dropping 530k peso introductory price. That's a subcompact at just 40k more than a supermini.

Display

Sedona

-tentatively priced at 1.5 million. Dual power sliding doors, very large cargo space behind the third row (as well as a fold flat third row) and a 158 hp (343 NM) 2.9 liter turbodiesel. It's got the features, space and power to match the Previa and Town and Country, at half-a-million less. Inside isn't as spectacular, but with 500,000 pesos in change, you could probably install LazyBoy massage chairs with real italian leather...

Carens

-personal favorite... seven seater with third row legroom comparable to the Innova, but it's just as long as your regular compact sedan. It has a very very clever fold-flat third row, a crazy number of armrests in the second row, and easy ingress/egress for the third row with the sliding second row seat.

-Oh, did I mention? It's got a 110 hp 2.0 CRDi turbo engine with a manumatic shifter. Multi-link rear suspension, mags, and a roof rack with moveable rails. And it's supposed to be coming in at under 1 million pesos. I'm saying adios to our Crosswind when this baby comes in...

-only gripes are the crappy plastics (again), but considering everything else, that's a minor, MINOR gripe.

Sportage

Just another mini-SUV. Take one Tucson and rebody it. Favorite comment? Carlo's "corduroy fabric" observation. Otherwise, it's a good CUV, too bad the display unit is a 2.0 gas vehicle.

Picanto Deluxe

Power windows. Yay. But seriously, still cute.

Opirus

Blech. Grille looks like a Stavic grille slapped on the hood, then cut at the top without regards to the contours of the car. Dashboard top looks like the vinyl and foam combos from the 70's and 80's that disintegrated under the tropical heat.

The leather seats are nice... but that's about it. Needs major restyling to be competitive.

K2700

What can I say... dual cab truck with a pickup bed and 4x4. Painted lime green. I love it. I've driven the container van version, and the driving position and controls are very car-like. I want to test-drive this one to Pinatubo...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    makapunta nga bukas... im interested with carens as it would give innova a serious competition

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    the Rio has 97hp from its 1.4L engine. its nice that it has a rear courtesy lamps. mukha syang upscale in general.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

Kudos to the very very first tsikoteer on the site, si brubeck (avid lurker daw siya... ...he's the tall guy beside me, carlo and m2 in the standing pic), I met him and his wife there at 8:00 am, almost an hour before they were supposed to open up the test-drives... :lol: ...excited din siya sa mga Kia models.

Reviews:

Sedona

-tentatively priced at 1.5 million. Dual power sliding doors, very large cargo space behind the third row (as well as a fold flat third row) and a 158 hp (343 NM) 2.9 liter turbodiesel. It's got the features, space and power to match the Previa and Town and Country, at half-a-million less. Inside isn't as spectacular, but with 500,000 pesos in change, you could probably install LazyBoy massage chairs with real italian leather...
    Niky, nakita ko yong specs ng Sedona sa UK which is the ff:

Engine Data Diesel
    Engine Type DOHC turbo diesel 2.9 CRDi (VGT)
    Capacity (cc) 2,902 cc
    Max power (bhp * rpm) 183bhp * 3800
    Max Torque (Nm * rpm) 343 Nm * 1,750 - 3,500
    Bore / Stroke (mm) 97.1 x 98.0

Transmission
    Manual 5 speed transmission with clutch locking
    Automatic Electronically controlled 5-speed

Body style Multi-purpose vehicle
    Number of seats 7 seats

Dimensions (mm) Diesel
    Overall length 4,810
    Overall width 1,985
    Overall height (with roof rails) 1,760 (1,815)

Wheelbase 2,890
    Internal length 3,675
    Internal width 1,700
    Internal height 1,260
    Overhang 975 / 945

Specifications Diesel
    Gross vehicle weight (Kg) Man : 2,900
    Auto: 2,920
    Min kerb weight (Kg) Man : 2,168
    Auto: 2,189
    Max towing weight (Kg)
    Trailer with brakes 2,000
    Trailer without brakes 750
    Max ball weight 85
    Maximum roof load (Kg) 75
    Minimum ground clearance (mm) 167
    Turning circle radius (m) (max) 5.51 (5.82)
    Fuel tank capacity (litres) 80

Suspension & Steering
    Front suspension MacPherson strut, coil spring, anti-roll bar
    Rear suspension Multi-link, coil springs
    Steering system Rack and pinion with power-assistance
    Brake type Hydraulic, vacuum power-assisted with ABS EBD
    Front brakes 11.8-in vented discs
    Rear brakes 11.9-in solid discs

Performance Diesel
    Maximum speed (mph/km) Man : 122/197
    Auto : 120.5/194
    Acceleration 0-62mph (sec) Man : 15.5
    Auto : 16.2

Fuel Consumption Diesel
    (Official Government Test Figures) mpg (I/100km)
    Urban (cold) Man : 27.7 (10.2)
    Auto : 23.0 (12.3)
    Extra-urban Man : 44.1 (6.4)
    Auto : 40.4 (7.0)
    Combined Man : 36.2 (7.8)
    Auto : 31.4 (9.0)

Emissions Diesel
    CO2 (g/km) Man : 206
    Auto : 237

Noise levels Diesel
    Moving (dB(A)/E) Man: 74
    Auto: 72
    Stationary (dB(A)/E) Man: 77
    Auto: 78

Service Intervals
    10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes sooner

Tanong ko lang po sa palagay mo alin ba dito ang natupad para sa market natin. Sabi mo 2.9 turbodiesel, ito na ba yong crdi na vgt? I'm waiting for this kaya nag-ipon na ako ngayon ng pang cash outlay.

Salamat po.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    that 530k rio is i assume the 4-door sedan. that's a pretty low price!

i expect that for that price one has the "privilege" of hand-cranked windows, no central door locking.. but it has rear door courtesy lights? an unexpected minor bonus. is the back seat 60/40 split?

and finally, are they also gonna sell the rio5 hatch?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    ferdine,

baka naman hindi VGT yung turbo dito kaya ganun.
    that type of turbo does wonders in horsepower count. laki ng disparity sa regular turbocharging.

orly,

hindi pa ba all power yun? at first, sa ibang forums alam ko all power plus keyless entry, cd player na yan eh... wala nga lang alloy wheels, hubcabs lang. if true, great value over the bare Vios 1.3J.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the US model has very good specs. ABS/EBD and multiple airbags pa nga eh.
    pero the US model is also $12-14k.

530k pesos is just about $10k US. although it being all power (although am sure no ABS/EBD or airbag) would be a nice plus. nevermind the rims if it's basic transportation one is after, the rio (and specially the rio5) seems to be a very good deal.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

Reviews:

Driven:

Sorento:

+ Very nice wood trim, a sort of black bamboo-ish pattern. Interior is much more "special" feeling than the Fortuner.

+ Initial throttle response better than Toyota's D4D... much better, thanks to the variable geometry turbos. Terrific grunt from the engine.

+ Ride is pillowy soft, steering is good.

x Ride is too soft for me, it rolls too much under braking and in turns. I still like the Fortuner's body control better, and the Fortuner still seems a better car for high-speed highway travel (more grunt, more stability).

Rio

Was expecting disappointment after having tried the super-quick Accent, but was surprised. The Rio has very punchy and smooth 1.4 gas engine. With approximately 92 hp and 92 ft-lbs of torque, it'll pull even from low revs, and it doesn't lug too much if you shift too early. Fuel consumption should be between 10-12 in traffic.

Everything else is as in the Accent, roomy interior, cheap plastics, decent handling, stiff ride, except the Rio looks better both inside and out, and comes in at a jaw-dropping 530k peso introductory price. That's a subcompact at just 40k more than a supermini.

Display

Sedona

Carens

-personal favorite... seven seater with third row legroom comparable to the Innova, but it's just as long as your regular compact sedan. It has a very very clever fold-flat third row, a crazy number of armrests in the second row, and easy ingress/egress for the third row with the sliding second row seat.

-Oh, did I mention? It's got a 110 hp 2.0 CRDi turbo engine with a manumatic shifter. Multi-link rear suspension, mags, and a roof rack with moveable rails. And it's supposed to be coming in at under 1 million pesos. I'm saying adios to our Crosswind when this baby comes in...

-only gripes are the crappy plastics (again), but considering everything else, that's a minor, MINOR gripe.

Sportage

Just another mini-SUV. Take one Tucson and rebody it. Favorite comment? Carlo's "corduroy fabric" observation. Otherwise, it's a good CUV, too bad the display unit is a 2.0 gas vehicle.

Picanto Deluxe

Power windows. Yay. But seriously, still cute.

Opirus

Blech. Grille looks like a Stavic grille slapped on the hood, then cut at the top without regards to the contours of the car. Dashboard top looks like the vinyl and foam combos from the 70's and 80's that disintegrated under the tropical heat.

The leather seats are nice... but that's about it. Needs major restyling to be competitive.

K2700

What can I say... dual cab truck with a pickup bed and 4x4. Painted lime green. I love it. I've driven the container van version, and the driving position and controls are very car-like. I want to test-drive this one to Pinatubo...

Like what we've discussed that afternoon, if the Opirus will be brought here, it will suffer like the Azera, very poor sales. Though if they really want to target Korean ex-pats, ok, fine.

I think Filipino luxu car buyers would settle for a Japanese badge.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carlocaraddict View Post
    Like what we've discussed that afternoon, if the Opirus will be brought here, it will suffer like the Azera, very poor sales. Though if they really want to target Korean ex-pats, ok, fine.

I think Filipino luxu car buyers would settle for a Japanese badge.
    The Opirus/Amanti (USDM) is a far cry from an Azera which is a totally different platform and performance a totally different ballpark. If the Azera was out when we bought our 2006 V6 Sonata, we would've bought that one instead even though it costs more than the V6 Sonata. We've checked out a few Azeras in the neighborhood. It certainly is much more luxurious than the Sonata and that 263hp V6 (vs 235hp on the Sonata) is nothing to sneeze at.

Fast V6 cars in general wouldn't do well in the Philippines because of their bigger gas consumption. Here, there's plenty of room to test out the Azera's (and the Sonata's) performance and at least, there's enough freeways to try out cruise control and get a semblance of good gas mileage.

Edit: I didn't know the Azera was even offered in the Philippines...... If I was retiring there at this instant, that'd be the car I'd buy over there.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 27th, 2006 at 08:04 AM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003

Ok na sana yung Carens kaya lang ginawang mas maumbok yung itaas nung likuran. Sana pinantay na lang nila IMO.

Built-in rear fog/turbo light!:D

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
kia carshow * the fort