New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Andun ang Hyundai, diba? CAMPI ba sila? hehehe.

Sa bagay, Hyundai is really active sa halos lahat ng shows.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CAMPI

Sino sino ba ang magkakakosa under CAMPI?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    been there kanina,some highlights new starex, lancer, captiva, vios, some concept cars na deadma lang also walang masyadong nagtetest drive sa labas .. no show was ford, mazda, bmw, ssangyong (who cares?), peugot (buhay pa ba?), chery (wouldve been interesting) CATS group (benz, chrysler) among others..will post pics later
    Last edited by Hero; August 9th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bullsh*t talaga yung fact that it wasn't complete... a motor show without Ford, Mazda, BMW and Benz? Self-serving for the CAMPI.

Kinda bodes ill for the motorshow season next year if you have two shows with mutually exclusive line-ups... which would work to the detriment of those who snob one and those who are excluded from the other.

That said (rant off), here are some highlights from the show:

[size=4]Chevrolet Captiva[/size] (short drive):

Possibly one of the most important new cars at the show. The exterior looks aren’t so distinctive, but are definitely handsome in a Volvo-ish way. Very attractive. Interior quality very good in places. In fact, some touches are as good as or better than in the CR-V or RAV4, and there’s much less plastic than in the Outlander.

What really lets the Captiva down in terms of looks is the instrument panel. It’s brand new, but it looks dated, already… and really cheap. The steering wheel is also kind of plasticky and not very nice to the touch. The handbrake handle isn’t very tight, but this is a test unit and may have been abused.

On the short test drive, the Captiva was a pleasant surprise. It rode stiffly, but not uncomfortably, achieving the same kind of European ride that the Optra has… stable, controlled and comfortable. The drive was too short, however, to reveal if this is true over all surfaces, but my initial impressions are very good. It feels more mature and sophisticated, at least, than the Sorento.

Power from the 2 liter CRDi is nice. It’s not as big a kick in the back as Ford’s 2 liter, but it feels much like a gasoline engine, smooth and unflustered. It’s not the quietest diesel, but it’s not bad, about mid-pack, I’d say, in terms of quietness. It’s only a four-speed automatic, but it suits the engine well. The steering and brakes are unobjectionable, but there’s a lot of understeer here, reminiscent of the older CR-V. It can’t quite match the driving dynamics of many of its competitors, but since it rides well, accelerates well and brakes well, it does 99% of what its buyers expect.

It just remains to be seen if it’s reliable and durable enough to convince stalwart fans of Japanese compact SUVs that it’s a good alternative. But I can definitely see this stealing some sales from the Kia Sorento, its closest competitor in size and price.

[size=4]Mitsubishi Outlander V6[/size] (short drive):

Plastic, plastic everywhere. A shame, considering the car’s sharp looks. Power is great, but the transmission is very unresponsive if you’re not using the manual option… but since this is an “intelligent” system, maybe most of the test-drivers were sixty year old grandmas. Suspension is a bit soft, but it has good roll-control, and is very stable in corners. The 18" wheels give the Outlander good cornering grip, and don't detract much from the ride (but the way it thumps over small bumps reminds you they're there). A sporty-ish drive, due to the power and extra grip from the optional 18” wheels, but I’d like to see how this stacks up against a V6 Tribute, as I feel the Tribute has better steering and balance, even if it is slower.

But since there’s no V6 Tribute or Escape on the market now, there’s really no direct competitor to the Outlander here. This is about the only thing you can buy in this segment that’ll give you that creamy V6 exhaust tone. A bonus side effect being: when you shift into manual control and flog it, this baby is faaaast.

[size=4]Toyota Vios[/size] (short drive):

Interior seems of better quality than the CBU Yaris (yucky plastic on those doors), but it’s still mostly plastic. Lots more room than the previous Vios, with headroom to match the City and a bit more legroom. Trunk is huge, but not City-class. New Optitron gauges are much better than the previous squint-fest that the old digital display was, but could still be improved a bit. So far, this is the most useable center-mounted instrument display I’ve seen.

Great engine… there’s a good reason Toyota didn’t bother to change it… but I still hate the 4-speed AT. Five speed shifter a bit loose but easy to use. Acceleration is very good, with more torque than the Honda 1.5, though similar outright speed. New electric steering feels indifferent to your commands, but it’s reasonably precise. Rides decently, but the route was too short to tell if it’s bouncy over sharp freeway bumps. At least it isn’t floaty.

More body roll than in the Jazz, but it’s nimble, at least. Tires don’t do the chassis justice, I hope Toyota releases an “S” variant with some real tires. While I don’t feel the Yaris surpasses the Jazz in any way (too expensive, too tiny), this Vios looks set to become a best seller. It’s now as useful as the City, while still looking much better.

[size=4]Others[/size]: Test drove the Swift (just for the heck of it)... still like the Jazz better, but the Swift has better steering than either the Jazz or the new Vios/Yaris. Also did the Chevrolet Optra 1.6 SS Wagon, on a lark. The low-profile tires give it secure handling, but not much else. If there's a contender for slowest 1.6 liter car ever, the Optra AT is probably up there with the Mazda3 1.6 AT. The transmission hunted everywhere, and it took a good kick to the pedal to get it to downshift. Still, there's tons of space back there...

-----------

[size=4]Displayed cars[/size]:

To note, these are the most important cars for consumers which were not available for test-drives during the first day:

Mitsubishi Lancer EX: This is the next-generation Lancer. Mitsubishi pulled this one out of a hat right before the show, and the sales personnel didn't know much about it. Looks very nice, a good challenger for the Civic and the Mazda3, but no word if it'll make it in before year-end.

Nissan Grand Livina: Disappointingly small... even smaller than the Carens, though it seems a bit longer. Don't know if this'll make any impact on the market... could probably be marketed as a sedan replacement, but definitely not as a serious MPV contender.

Nissan Frontier Navara: Butch looking, but... small! It might even be smaller inside than the updated Ranger! But it's aimed squarely at the Ranger's market... it's supposedly sporty, and sports a 2.5 liter CRDi with a claimed 170+ hp and 403 Nm of torque. Jaw-dropping numbers. Would probably sell well with the urban set, but not enough utility here compared to the Hilux, D-Max or Ranger.

Hyundai Grand Starex: You already know what I think of this car. Van of the year... here we come!

Kia Carnival LWB: Van of the year, here we come!... oh, did I say that already? It was available for test-drives, but I wasn't able to catch the line.

Kia Spectra: Very good looking car, this is the Kia version of the ELantra, right? But since it's gasoline only (for now), market impact will probably be small.

Volvo C30: Yes, it looks good (carlo and the others were practically drooling over it...), but c'mon guys, all Volvos look good. I'd rather have the S80 sitting on the other side of the booth that no one was looking at... the one with the Yamaha V8 and AWD... :evil:

Audi S5: ^^^ same as above... replace S80 with Cayman. repeat: :evil:

------------

There were a ton of concept cars, blah blah... Prius cut-aways, Honda Civic Hybrid... blah blah (if they aren't going to sell these two here, why bother?)... Audi S5, Volvo C30... blah blah... the usual stuff...
    Last edited by niky; August 9th, 2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: ang kulit nila, eh... :)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i like the chevy captiva diesel and the outlander v6.

Ford, Mazda, Jaguar and CATS (DC and MB) are not members of CAMPI

I heard that Viking Cars are bringing in Peugeot here again.

nice short review niky!
    Last edited by carlocaraddict; August 9th, 2007 at 08:30 PM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Tsikoteers...

I would love to thank sir niky for the Outlander test drive... It was a very very memorable run! The best ka sir Niky! You've unleashed my mind about the Outlander!

Whooo! THis is the best day of the month... I hope may video lang talaga for those hard turns and braking youve done. Natakot ako sa driving style mo kasi nasa SUV tayo... pero still it was a lot of fun! Parang na-rape Outlander ngayung araw ah...

Hoping for more drives and more fun!
    iam3739.com

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Niky,

you forgot the Kia Spectra hehehe

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    hey drey!

am drooling on the the vehicles we drove today. hahahah!

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    oi... bili na sya vios! hahahaha...
    iam3739.com

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    oi... bili na sya vios! hahahaha...
    hahaha! 1.5G MT!! woohooo!!

how i wish

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
1st Philippine International Motor Show